Are You a Serious Black Coffee Drinker? I need advice.

Options

Replies

• amykingsley1
    amykingsley1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just switched to black and found it surprisingly easy as long as the coffee isn't atrocious.

I'm a big fan of Yuban Pacific Roast.

I also work with a girl from brazil who brings in a delicious brand called Pilau... not sure where she buys it but it's yummy.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

The key to really good coffee is freshness, above everything else. Coffee is at its best from about 24 hours after roasting out to about two weeks. After that, flavor starts to diminish, and harsh off-flavors can start to crop up.

If you want the absolute best you can get in coffee without going to the trouble of roasting your own, the best thing you can do is find a local supplier who roasts on-site, and buy your coffee in small batches -- no more than you'll drink in two weeks.

Second, you're going to need a coffee grinder. Preground coffee just goes off that much faster. Whole bean keeps longer and tastes better.

^^^^^
    This guy knows what he's talking about.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Dunkin Donuts Cinnamon Spice, or plain folgers instant are my two choices....... I tried a little creamer the other day and now it just doesnt taste right anymore black is better now:)
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I have a Keurig and LOVE the Folgers Vanilla Biscotti!
    http://www.keurig.com/coffee/vanilla-biscotti-coffee-k-cup-flg
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    espresso is the way to go!
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Alright, OP. I'm going to change your life.

Or, at least, your mornings. See, I'm a big coffee geek, and I love really good black coffee. I've gone so far down the path that I special-order green coffee beans and roast them at home. You don't need to go that far to get great coffee, though.

The key to really good coffee is freshness, above everything else. Coffee is at its best from about 24 hours after roasting out to about two weeks. After that, flavor starts to diminish, and harsh off-flavors can start to crop up.

If you want the absolute best you can get in coffee without going to the trouble of roasting your own, the best thing you can do is find a local supplier who roasts on-site, and buy your coffee in small batches -- no more than you'll drink in two weeks.

Second, you're going to need a coffee grinder. Preground coffee just goes off that much faster. Whole bean keeps longer and tastes better.

Here's a good, quick guide on making great coffee at home: http://www.gimmecoffee.com/static/learn_frenchpress.aspx

As for beans, that's really a matter of personal preference. I like a deep, murky, complex cup of coffee, so my preference is for African and Indian - origin coffee over the coffee from South America, but many people prefer a brighter, fruitier (this is called 'acidic' flavor, not to be confused with the acid that upsets your stomach) coffee, and correspondingly like beans from South America, oceania, and the south Pacific regions.

So, remember: Find a local roaster, buy freshly-roasted coffee, and grind your own. Before you know it, you'll look down your nose at Starbucks, smugly knowing that you make better coffee at home.

Yes! What he said!! :bigsmile:
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Seriously ... just give it time ... I did ... 30 days in you'll wonder why you ever put creamer/sugar in ... 60 days in you'll find yourself enjoying the different type of roasts ... 90 days in you'll have to remind yourself to stop being a coffee snob after 90 days ;) lol ... well ... that was my journey ... :)
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    I always sprinkle some cinnamon or nutmeg in the coffee occasionally i will use the sugar free coffee mate creamers...
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend grinding it yourself. The flavor is much better than grounds that have been sitting for days/weeks. I love 2% jazz and level ground, they're local establishments. You'll find local roasteries will always be better than commercial ones.My favorite that is widely available is Starbucks Antigua/Guatemala blend. It's a bit pricey but well worth it. Kicking horse also makes some good blends, I like three sisters and kootenay crossing.
  • Silver_Eagle
    Options
    I am a totally serious black coffee drinker. I hook my finger to the cup when I get up and unhook it when I go to bed. Ha! Ha! Seriously, I drink mostly Folgers Classic Blend or Maxwell House Gourmet Roast. When out and about I try Speedway Gourmet Roast or Pilot Sumatra blend. If not available I look for a dark roast. Even McDonald coffee is ok. Don't refrigerate grounds. It is like starting to make coffee then stopping it then starting it again when you put it in the pot. Any more help I can offer let me know. :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    adding to others... try French press, self grinding. I recommend buying a quality coffee (I get different brands but always look for Fair Trade symbol). once I switched it only took a week before I preferred it. good job switching. also, I've always found Starbucks coffee too strong for an empty stomach. I order Americano instead if I have to go there for my morning cuppa.
  • Itsallkungfu
    Options
    Probably the right call...I love it, though...The jolt!:drinker:
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I never drank black coffee until I spent a summer with a couple of coffee fiends. Every other day they were grinding some sort of different blend. We went through pound after pound of coffee. Ever since then I haven't put anything in my coffee. I recommend buying small amounts of different coffee until you find the one that fits. Changing it up every once in awhile will give you a way to find the unique attributes to each of the different styles. As others have said...buy small amounts, get your own grinder, buy fresh.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    i enjoy my coffee with a splash or 2% milk or almond milk. i will also, at times, but a few stevia drops in it. yum!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Well I did not read all the previous replies, but this is my two cents. I am a SERIOUS black coffee drinker, love the stuff. I put Splenda or some kind of artificial sweetener in it and that's it. It's really not bitter and horrible if you buy quality coffee...usually anything in one of the bags and the store (as opposed to the cans, like folgers) are good choices, and trader joes coffee is fantastic. If it's still too bitter to you, it may be a taste you'll acquire over time...and it sounds like you're off to a great start! And if you have to have creamer, which I understand sometimes.... non-dairy powdered creamer is a good choice! Only 10 calories per teaspoon and does the job.
  • Aprilpooch
    Options
    I got the sugar free Hazlenut flavored Coffeemate and it is only 15 calories per tablespoon. I have two cups of coffee a day and use about 3-4 tablespoons so that is 60 calories... max!
  • ahersh00
    Options
    OMG! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE COFFEE! Glad to be able to help you with this as I feel very guilty about the York Peppermint Patty creamer in my fridge currently because I am a black coffee drinker....always have been due to not wanting the extra calories, but every once in awhile I give myself a treat.... I buy probably one bottle of creamer a year! LOL! Enough about me.... Here's a list of my favorite flavored coffees that you should try...they are so good there is no need for creamer!

Folgers Flavors Chocolate Silk
    Folgers Flavors Hazelnut
    Folgers Gourmet Selections Vanilla Biscotti
    Folgers Gourmet Selections Caramel Drizzle
    Seattle's Best Cinnamon flavored coffee
    Green Mountain Coffee-Golden French Toast
    Gloria Jeans Butter Toffee Coffee

Enjoy! ;)
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking mine black out of no where. Never looked back.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    what about drinking ur coffee with half cream and sugar amts? That's what I do, hate it black and hate artificial sweetners......
  • bjsquires
    bjsquires Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love coffee without creamer...I usually buy the Hazelnut or Pumpkin flavored coffee. I have to use sweetener..either sugar, sweet-n-low, stevia, etc... I hope one day I can lose the sweetener and just drink the coffee.