HRM Question....

Options
hi all,

im interested in getting one of these HRM that ive being seeing mentioned in forum but just wont to know a couple of things..

does it only calculate calorie burnt for a limited time? ie while excersicing, or does it calculate over whole day? if that makes sense..

can you use it while swimming? im limited to what excersice i can do so can only do laps in pool or walk

And also which brands are best to buy and where can you get them from.. im in Western Australia

thanks heaps... :flowerforyou:

Replies

• gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, here is my understanding to your questions:

1) They are mainly used for exercising (i.e. while exercising) as people have said that when your heart rate is not "at work" then their calorie calculations can be off. I'm not sure if this is true, but I don't see why you couldn't wear it all day and see what is calculates your calorie burn as. Another option for all day tracking is to get a device like a BodyMedia FIT (www.bodymedia.com) which is designed to do this as well.

2) If you get a model that is water resistant you can use them for swimming as well. I don' know that everyone makes them water resistant.

3) I have always used and like the Polar HRM. Currently, my wife and I are using an FT60 - which we love. A more basic model which a lot of people have talked positively about here is the FT7. I got this for my son and it is good. Both would work for walking and swimming.

Mainly when you buy one, you want to look for one that is using a chest strap as they tend to be more accurate in monitoring your heart rate than ones that are simply a watch (again, from what I have read).

You can find Polar's HRM website at http://www.polaraustralia.com.au/au-en
  • thepegasus
    thepegasus Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. i will check out the sites you have suggested :)
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    just got the FT7 today, and yes you can swim with it. it is basic, but thats why i like it. gives you a high and low heart rate to aim for and keeps a cal count. cant wait to use it tomorrow night at ZUMBA
  • RockstarJB
    RockstarJB Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a hrm and I loooove ot soooo much, it will calculate calories burned the whole time that you wear it, I bought the sportline duo 1010w which is meant for just women and ikt's amazing. I highly suggest getting one if you can...it tracks calories and such burned according to you sooo yeah I love it :))
  • snkoyle15
    Options
    I was just going to post this EXACT question! i am kind of wanting to look into these as well but have no idea what to look for.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post this EXACT question! i am kind of wanting to look into these as well but have no idea what to look for.

You want one with a chest strap.. Ones that don't have one are not going to be accurate at all.

You also don't want to go super cheap as you get what you pay for when it comes to HRM's.. Go super cheap and you are going to wind up paying twice what would have paid if you bought a proper one in the first place.

Also wearing them all day is not suggested.. The calculations used to figure out calories need an elevated heart rate... which wearing all day does not tend to provide.

As far as brands go, Polar is pretty much the best.. FT4, FT7, FT40 and FT60.. Each have different features and can be found for a reasonable price on Amazon.
  • snkoyle15
    Options

You want one with a chest strap.. Ones that don't have one are not going to be accurate at all.

You also don't want to go super cheap as you get what you pay for when it comes to HRM's.. Go super cheap and you are going to wind up paying twice what would have paid if you bought a proper one in the first place.

Also wearing them all day is not suggested.. The calculations used to figure out calories need an elevated heart rate... which wearing all day does not tend to provide.

As far as brands go, Polar is pretty much the best.. FT4, FT7, FT40 and FT60.. Each have different features and can be found for a reasonable price on Amazon.

Thanks for those models. ive started to look into those and have a question about the chest strap. is it a separate piece or is the monitor attached to the strap itself. looking at these different models, some of them have just a small strap that is separate and if im reading it correctly, you put the strap on but dont need to have the watch on and it transmits to the watch. am i understanding this correctly?
  • DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just found this video. I think it answers your question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1crKr1L2c
  • mrscherry1
    Options
    The BEST prices on Polar HRM is on bodytronics.com - I bought the Polar FT4 from that site for $58.79 (use promo code POPO) and LOVE it ! It has the chest strap (very comfortable) and YES you can swim with it!! :flowerforyou:
  • mrscherry1
    Options

Thanks for those models. ive started to look into those and have a question about the chest strap. is it a separate piece or is the monitor attached to the strap itself. looking at these different models, some of them have just a small strap that is separate and if im reading it correctly, you put the strap on but dont need to have the watch on and it transmits to the watch. am i understanding this correctly?
    The Polar FT4 has a watch and a chest strap that you wear together to transmit (both very comfortable)!!
  • snkoyle15
    Options
    I just found this video. I think it answers your question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1crKr1L2c

k i just watched the first minute or two, but if i understand correctly, you only wear the strap (not the watch unless you buy one that is just the watch and not the strap) for the HR and calories, etc? then the strap just transmits the info to the watch for you to do what ever with. is that right? did that make sense?
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    The BEST prices on Polar HRM is on bodytronics.com - I bought the Polar FT4 from that site for $58.79 (use promo code POPO) and LOVE it ! It has the chest strap (very comfortable) and YES you can swim with it!! :flowerforyou:

I agree with that. I've now bought three HRM's through them. Super easy, good prices, fast shipping.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The fitbit and bodybug are the only ones I've seen intended to be worn all day, calculating calories burned all day.

As most others have said, other HRM are really only for when you're exercising. The few that don't use chest straps are generally inaccurate. Most are considered water resistant but not water proof. I've read mixed results about wearing one while swimming, some people have problems and some don't.

I bought a refurbished Garmin FR60 HRM with foot pod a couple weeks ago. It's a gps enabled watch along with the HRM and the foot pod allows it to count mileage indoors on a treadmill as well as outside (pod or gps). Being factory refurbished kept the cost down.

Polar HRM seems to pair with gym equipment (treadmills, elliptical, etc) while my garmin does not. I have to wear the watch, but don't get any interference from other people in the gym.

Best is to do some research on the features you want and what is in your price range.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You'll find a variety at Rebel Sport or Sports Fever (West Aussie stores!) but you might get them cheaper online.

Make sure you have an idea of what you want to use it for before you buy, to make sure you get the right one for you.

My lovely hubby bought me a Garmin Forerunner 405 for Christmas which is actually pretty good for me as it has a GPS and tracks my distance, gives me feedback on pace, heart rate etc while I'm running. But, this model doesn't use heart rate to calculate calories burnt - if I was buying one for myself I would get the 405cx which does.
    The model I have is best for running (or cycling, walking etc) outdoors - to use it on a treadmill etc you need to add extra gadgets (at extra cost).

If you want it for gym classes, treadmill etc you might be better with a Polar model.
  • thepegasus
    Options

Thanks hun.. i will have a looks...
  • thepegasus
    Options

LOL glad im not the only one in the same boat about understanding these things :embarassed: :laugh:
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT-7 that is waterproof, but I find that it loses signal in the pool. When I asked about it, many people said that it was a common problem, as the chemicals in the water interfere with the transmission from the sensor to the watch. If you are looking to do a lot of water work, make sure you ask if they will transmit in chlorinated water or sea water.
  • christinerush
    Options
    I have recently purchased a Polar FT4 and love it! Yes you could wear it all day if you wanted but I use mine when Im walking or doing weights at home so that I know that Im in the fat burning zone. I had been walking heaps with not much weight loss and now I realise I wasnt working fast enough! It may not show up in my profile that I have lost weight as such but know I am losing heaps of inches since I bought it! Mine is waterfproof and so can swim and walk in the rain, which I love to do. Im also told that you can put cheap batteries in it too, unlike some other brands which use really expensive batteries. It has a chest strap and the transmitter clips onto it and its really comfortable! Im pleased it can be washed as it does get sweaty when you wear it each day! I havent had any problems with intereference either! I either have my earphones plugged into my mp3 player or radio without any problem. I paid AU$ 129, but they are cheaper online.
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options

LOL glad im not the only one in the same boat about understanding these things :embarassed: :laugh:

Same here - thanks for the info. This is good timing for me.