trying to convert into a vegetarian

so i am trying to eat less meat, the only meat i eat is chicken and tuna....can you give me any advice? :happy:

Replies

• littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    So many options! Beans/legumes, tofu, faux meats (MorningStar and Boca are two brands, for example). Quinoa is a grain that's high in protein. Are you just looking for protein options?
    Also, what kind of vegetarian? If lacto-vegetarian, then there's cottage cheese, yogurt. Ovo-vegetarians still eat eggs. Or there's vegan, where no animal products of any kind are eaten.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Black beans are high in protein. Make sure you get low sodium if you buy them in the can.

Egg whites are great as long as you aren't going vegan.

I love to make lettuce-wrapped Morningstar Spicy Black bean burgers with tomato and guacamole. Yummy!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    I was wondering why?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Look for recipes that aren't just meat replacers - ie veggies burgers and lasagnes and meatloaves are all very well but there is a whole world (literally) of food out there that is vegetarian and delicous and isn't trying to be something that it's not.
    For example, have a look at Indian food - their range of vegetarian meals are incredible.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Stay away from fake meat products - I really don't see the point - they are totally disgusting. If you want to be a vegetarian then eat whole foods not processed crap.
    So why do you want to become a vegetarian - for ethical reasons, or health?
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Girl, you crazy... crazy awesome! Good for you :)

Like a lot of other people said, don't buy the "fake meat" products. They're just as bad health-wise as any other processed food. Check out seitan for a protein fix. It's really easy to make and can be used in place of meat in dishes because it's got a chewy texture.
  • zombelina
    zombelina Posts: 17 Member
    I highly recommend the River Cottage Veg Everyday cook book... If you're in the US, I'm sure you'll be able to find it online.

Its written by a meat eater who loves veggies and believes we'd all be better off if we ate more of them and less meat! Not a scrap of fake meat in sight :)

Sometimes you just need something in a bun with cheese and relish though, so if you fancy the odd burger like experience you can easily make 'burgers' using chickpeas or green lentils, a few finely chopped veg and some herbs.
  • well because the fact that ther is a dead animal floating around in my stomach makes me sick and i dont eat mean much anyway
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    well because the fact that ther is a dead animal floating around in my stomach makes me sick and i dont eat mean much anyway

So chicken and tuna aren't considered animals these days? lol
    Not trying to rain on your parade. I find that most people who just "decide" to be vegetarians aren't very good at it. But it sure won't hurt you to try. Veggies are very healthy. You can still get protein from other sources than meat. Good luck to you. I know there is NO WAY I could ever do it.