Addicted to Food

Options
Working out is not the problem. I love to workout. Love how it makes me feel. Love to leave the gym looking a complete and hot mess because it means I bust my *kitten* in there that day.

Then, when I leave, I want to eat and eat and eat! How do I overcome undoing my whole workout with one meal? Or undoing my whole week on the weekends?

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If you really are addicted to food then maybe you should see a nutrionist or psycologist. I say I am addicted to food but not literally. I am an emotional eater and turn to food because I am happy, sad, bored, anxious, jealous, and every other emotion. However, since I have sat down and thought about this and realized it it is easier to fight off the urge to do it when it strikes. I have had a stressful day at work and when I walk into the house I want to head straight to the kitchen but since I know this about myself and I know that I am in there not because of hunger but because of stress I am able to limit it! find out what triggers you and work on it... good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Dreamin_Skinny
    Options
    I feel like a junkie. My craving literally changes 5 different times if there are 5 different restaurants on that street. All I can think about is the menu of the particular place and how the food is going to taste in my mouth.
  • Dreamin_Skinny
    Options
    How do you fight the urges? I guess that is truly what my stuggle is: realizing I don't need to eat it and instead of stopping myself, I've eaten a bag of miniature Reese's cups.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Do YOU really want to lose weight and be healthy or are you doing this for someone else? Sometimes we sabotage our own success to spite others.
  • nichole913
    nichole913 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you dehydrated maybe? I find that I feel like I'm starving after a workout if I haven't drank enough water that day.
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I love to work out, and do it regularly!! Then I too, want to eat and eat. I feel like I've only "conquered" half of this problem. I've got the exercise thing, now if I could get a hold on the eating thing. You're not alone.:blushing:
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    I have been an emotional eater - and sometimes feel compelled to eat for reasons that I do not understand. I have found that substituting healthy foods - raw celery and carrots - is a way to meet myself half way. I chew. I become full. But I do not blow the diet. Less deprivation, and more discipline - seems better and easier.

However, after a workout you should eat some protein. Have a hard boiled egg or an appropriately sized bag of almonds ready for yourself.
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My weaknesses are Chic-Fil-A, MicDonalds McFlurries, and cereal...I could eat cereal forever (and not because I'm hungry, just because it tastes so damn good) Yes, I consider myself a food addict, and I don't eat because of any outside factors, but namely it's there and I know it makes me feel something.

What has helped me is:

- Saying a mantra while passing the restaurant, vending machine, cereal isle, etc. (ex. "I don't need this food. I don't need this food....") Anything to bring you back into focus

- Not eating out...at all. Pack snacks, lunch, anything. That way you set yourself up to succeed.

If you truly think you have an addiction, you have to take the same strides others would to overcome their addictions.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to air. I can't help it, everytime I turn around there I am gulping down more of the darn stuff! I keep telling myself I'm going to cut back but alas....
  • jodee_donavan
    jodee_donavan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm great at dieting- and don't enjoy going to exercise. I'm learning balance- but here's what I've learned about food that is making it easier for me to avoid the cravings and may break it down easy for you.

First- I've learned- I must eat a good "pre-workout" snack- sounds counter productive- but one hour before you go work out have a 1/2 of a deli flat and 1 tbs peanut butter. This will stabelize your blood sugar levels and give you long lasting energy to get through your workout.

Then- believe it or not- you need a post workout snack too!

Cardio workout- eat a low sugar veggie and small serving of protein--- about 1 hr after workout- this will help your metabolism ride the burn of the cardio workout.

Weight training workout- drink a whey protein shake 15 minutes-30 minutes after workout. The protein will go into the muscles and help you build them back.

Since doing this my cravings have gone WAAAAAAAAY down. Now- I'm not a professional, just someone who has done a lot of work and been real successful at watching her diet. If I could get the motivation to be physical everyday I'd be golden-- but it's a conscious choice I have to make there! hope this helps:wink:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be a smart@*kitten* before. Just making a joke. Technically I don't think one can be "addicted" to food as we do need it to survive but I understand the strong urge to overeat and even binge. I've been there. But like others have said your body needs fuel and your feeling of "addiction" is just your body saying "Feed me!" Have a snack before and after your workout. Space your meals throughout your day, try to not have a huge meal. I always eat a good breakfast, then go workout an hour later. Then I will have something with protein and a little carbs right after. I feel great doing this. Don't be afraid to eat some (or all) of the exercise cals you earn. If you are using an HRM I'd say eat 90%-100% of your cals back. If you use MFP estimates eat about half back. Good luck.