Lifting weights and my calories

Options
Hi. On days that I lift weights in a bid to build some muscle should I be eating more calories. My bmr is 2000, my daily goal is 1500 but what should I be doing on weights programme days? I've read bits where people eat loads and loads when trying to increase muscle mass.

Replies

• Daisusaikoro
    Options
    Paying attention to protein is important if lifting weights... not so much gorging ... that's more for weight lifting beasts that want to be NFL players or some such.

I'm moving towards getting a protein supplement since I don't seem to be taking enough in my diet... but I'm trying to change that around.
  • chipembele
    chipembele Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    I've been eating between the 1500 and 2000 but having protein shakes.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    actually..

what builds muscle is resistance training and eating calories. not so much protein. the more protein doesnt mean the bigger you'll get. that is a big myth. of course there is no upper limit to protein intake, so more doesnt mean it'll harm you..its just more doesnt equal bigger muscles. there are tons of studies that show this fact. in fact, its more about timing of protein intake than amounts..meaning the optimal time to intake protein is within a half hour of your workout.

as far a bodybuilding goes..many go on the bulk and cut method. being during a bulk they eat a little more than their EER (estimated energy requirment). typically no more than 10%..which ends up being 200-300 cals extra. some also either forego cardio all together or do minimal. this is in a bid to minimize fat gain while maximize muscle gain. same with a cut..they still lift heavy, cut their cals by 10%, add more cardio. to maximize fat loss and min muscle loss.

check out bodybuilding.com, there is tons of info from actual bodybuilders on that site..of course as anywhere watch out for the broscience like above (more protein = more muscles)

edit ps..to be clear...cut and bulks typically last several months at a time. i bulked for about 5 months eating about 200 cals over my EER. i gained 10 lbs. i'm on a cut now, i've only lowered my cals by 100 and i've lost about 3 lbs in about two months.
  • Wychwoodlady
    Wychwoodlady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good question - I've noted that when I record strength exercises that MFP doesn't count calories for it or give the option to put any in, but that I am burning calories according to my heart monitor. I'm not doing much strength exercise though, so when I do some I just treat it as a bonus towards weight loss rather than to boost the calories that I can eat.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you're BMR is 2000 then as far as I know you should be eating between that and your maintenance. (I don't know loads of it, this is just what I've heard several times)
    BMR is what you need just to survive (basically not getting out of bed / in a coma) and maintenance is what maintains your weight when you include your daily activity. Obviously you eat less than your maintenance to lose, but the sources I've come across seem to advise against lower than your BMR.

As far as lifting weights goes, I eat more calories on those days. When I was bulking to try and gain muscle mass I was eating around 2800 net, so 2800 on rest days and 3000-3400 on lifting days (maintenance is around 2300-2400 net) Now I'm cutting it's around 2000 net.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You will struggle to put on muscle during a dieting phase. Unless you are new to training, back from training after training or a genetic freak.

Gaining muscle = calorie excess. The body doesn't like to put on muscle unless really needed as its calorie requirement is very high and offers very little gain to the body to have, esp when dieting.

I've bulked and cut for almost 7 years now (trained for 10), and I've never put on lean body mass as I cut.
  • christinerush
    Options
    Im glad you have brought up the fact that when you do strength training, it doesnt give you more calories! I thought I must have been logging it wrong! Im pleased it doesnt add more calories as already struggling to eat my required amount!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    as far as I'm aware and from what I've read in articles by bodybuilders and fitness experts, you can't or aren't very likely to build muscle while in a calorie deficit. Proteins are essentials for repair and recovery of muscles.

I like reading the stuff this guy writes http://www.burnthefat.com/. I'm not necesssariliy agreeing with it all but it's helpful to get info from a bodybuilder's perspective to be able to modify and apply to me. He does great free email newsletters
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Im glad you have brought up the fact that when you do strength training, it doesnt give you more calories! I thought I must have been logging it wrong! Im pleased it doesnt add more calories as already struggling to eat my required amount!

In the cardio section
    > "Strength training (weight training, weight lifting)"
    It will give you extra calories here :)
  • chipembele
    chipembele Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When you say bulk up do you mean bodybuilder size?

My goal is not necessarily to be really big, just reduce upper body flab around my chest and belly. I know you cant choose where fat comes from but i want to look leaner up top.

I do weights three days a week and cardio two and have two days rest.

Was just wondering waht my calorie intake should be on the weights days.