The difference in weight on different scales

Options
I'm getting frustrated with this! I'm starting a 90 day challenge today and want a legit starting weight. I bought a dial scale for home and on Saturday weighed in @ 130. The "old school" balance scale (the 1 you stand on and slide the weights over) at my karate school said 131 on saturday ( a whole 20 minutes after i weighed 2 home). Then there is the digital scale @ work that says 128 this morning. My scale this morning said 129.

WHAT THE HELL DO I USE???? What type of scale is most accurate? All scales are on hard level surfaces. I don't want to weigh in every day and I want an accurate weight. Am I obsessing too much?:huh:

Replies

• summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is use the same scale each time. same clothes etc
  • jameskeitha
    Options
    Obsessing to much. Use 1 scale.
  • shaybethxo
    shaybethxo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    it is annoying, my scales read different and randomly change from lb to kg lol! but i think as long as you use the same set of scales for each of your weigh in, you should see a general decrease, and you will still know you have lost weight x
  • sprengers
    Options
    hi,
    all scales can be different; the best way to keep a track on your loss is to just stick to using 1.

good luck. :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    go with the one you have easiest access to when you want to weigh... or go with the heaviest if you don't believe you could be 128lbs yet.

I have four sets of scales and get different weights on each up to stone difference between the old bathroom scales and the salter body fat scales... the kg scales and wii balance board are usually round about the same as the old bathroom scales so i can double check with those if getting erratic numbers and error messages on the old ones (they're the easiest to read without glasses or putting all lights on.. when just got out of bed!)

If I weigh on body fat scales at night.. I get similar numbers and a smaller difference to the old bathroom scales in the morning.. its weird! .. and get much bigger range of numbers on those depending whether feet are dry or wet and whether you just been in shower etc. .. they were the most expensive and supposed to be the most accurate!
  • ValleryK
    Options
    Yes. You should stick to one set of scales, put it in the same place & wear the same clothes!
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    if i were you i would stick to one set of scales and use those :wink:
    i only ever use my home digital salter scales :heart:
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Same scale, same time, same clothes. It will help you keep your sanity.

I'm in a weight loss challenge and I know that the scales I weigh in on at the facility are 5lbs heavier than mine.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Are you seriously worrying about whether you weigh 128 or 131 pounds? Then yes, obsessing much.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Am I obsessing too much?:huh:

Yes. Unless a scale is officially calibrated and re-calibrated regularly (which they do with scales used for weighing stuff for sale) it will not be completely accurate. Thus, use the same scale every time as it will be accurate to itself. All this switching from scale to scale serves no purpose.
  • BrownEyedGiRL928
    BrownEyedGiRL928 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Stick to one scale and try weighing yourself first thing in the morning before you eat - with the same clothes on or nothing on at all.
  • vermurrgarv
    Options
    thought i wasthe only one obsessing got diffrent reading on diff scales digital says way more than old fashion guess what i'll work harder to get rid of digital numbers great mind game.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Same scale, same time, same clothes. It will help you keep your sanity.

I'm in a weight loss challenge and I know that the scales I weigh in on at the facility are 5lbs heavier than mine.

ITA! I have found as much as 5-6 lbs in different scales. You will go crazy if you try to sync them all up.

One scale, same time, same clothes, also keep it on the same spot on the floor(level), I notice if it is dfferent areas it can fluctuate.
  • MissJenn33
    Options
    Are you seriously worrying about whether you weigh 128 or 131 pounds? Then yes, obsessing much.

I may not have a big # to lose, but Yes, it's important to me to be accurate. I didn't think it was a huge deal, I just like accuracy and wanted opinions.
  • emergencytennis
    Options

I may not have a big # to lose, but Yes, it's important to me to be accurate. I didn't think it was a huge deal, I just like accuracy and wanted opinions.

Don't ask for my opinion if you don't want it. You asked if we thought that you were obsessing and I said yes. That is a kilo and a half. When you are at the plus or minus kilo level, you are not wondering about if you are going to die of congestive heart failure or complications resulting from type 2 diabetes. You are wondering if you will fit into the board shorts you saw your friend buy.

Obsessing.
  • MissJenn33
    Options

Don't ask for my opinion if you don't want it. You asked if we thought that you were obsessing and I said yes. That is a kilo and a half. When you are at the plus or minus kilo level, you are not wondering about if you are going to die of congestive heart failure or complications resulting from type 2 diabetes. You are wondering if you will fit into the board shorts you saw your friend buy.

Obsessing.

You're right, I did ask. Thank you for your honesty. I DO get to be OCD. But I do want to say that I am doing this for myself, not to look like anyone or buy something anyone else did. Just because my goal is lower doesn't mean I shouldn't be mindful of these factors. I'm trying to move more, feel better and look better just like everyone else.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My old bathroom scales broke over the weekend - I just know I don't weigh 4 stone :) !!!
    So I bought some new (digital scales), up to this morning they had me 4 lbs heavier but this morning they have me at the same weight I weighed in on my old scales a week ago (200lbs)

I am willing to accept that but I think my poor old bathroom scales would've been kinder to me :)

Stick to one scale where possible
  • MissJenn33
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I can definitly get OCD and need to just calm down. I'll stick to my new @ home scale and weigh in on Monday mornings when I wake up.:smile:
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I'm trying to move more, feel better and look better just like everyone else.

The pounds don't matter, if you mean what you say. Your scale is how you feel and how you look, not a kilo or two. Do you enjoy that 5k or is it a drag? Do you love riding your bike to the shops or do you wish that someone else had bought the milk?
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I can definitly get OCD and need to just calm down. I'll stick to my new @ home scale and weigh in on Monday mornings when I wake up.:smile:

i dont think any scale is 100% accurate sadly - maybe NASA's! :laugh:

just use the 1 at home - keep it in same place, use same clothes (or naked if ur at home) & same time/day each week. cant really go wrong then hun. good luck