Is painting exercize?

Options
I've been painting all day- While it wasn't exercise in the traditional sense, surely I've burned some calories! I've been really hungry all day, so I've already reached my calorie goal for the day. Does anyone have a suggestion for a lo-cal dinner, or maybe an Idea of how many calories I might have burned with this activity?

Replies

• killianrjkl
    Options
    Try caloriesperhour.com and navigate to their activity calculator. They have an outrageous number of activities. Check it out!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM while painting and burned about 800 calories in 2 hours AND my arms were killing me the next day!!

Check out that web site and I bet you burned a TON of calories!!

:flowerforyou: Is it purdy??
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Also you know how hard you were working. I usually try to put in some close activity.

MFP has cleaning (light and vigorous), gardening, fishing, and strength training (think of your poor arms).

Happy house painting!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Chart it as house cleaning! Those cals really add up!
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! 2 Weekends ago and prepped my parents log cabin house for painting (12 hrs 1 day, 5 hrs the 2nd day). I logged it in as something along the lines of "construction" because most of the time was spent climbing ladders and sanding. When I saw the "calories burned" by MFP it sounded way too high so I decreased the number of hours to a more reasonable number. Needless to say this weekend was more painting, ladder climbing, etc. except now I have a heart rate monitor. At the end of day 1 (13 hrs), I had burned 5,200 calories........Wowzer!..... The second day was much easier and shorter and I still burned 1,400 calories. So definitely find something similar and add it!
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is all making me think that my house needs a whole new coat of paint.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I love non traditional workouts! LOL :smile:
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    Totally exercise! Non-traditional exercise is some of the best stuff, you don't have to be at the gym, in a fitness class, or working alongside a DVD to be exercising! I love going on weekend cleaning sprees, it's the highest calorie burn of my week!
  • MissBHaven
    MissBHaven Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Now I feel GREAT! I worked 8 hours, and according to caloriesperhour.com, I burned 1,481 calories!! my whole house needs a coat of paint, so maybe by the end of the summer I'll loose a few pounds AND have a pretty house. Bonus! Thanks for the feedback everyone, you all are great! :flowerforyou:
  • mamaspencer
    mamaspencer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also you know by how much you are sweating that you definately burned a lot of calories!
  • MissBHaven
    MissBHaven Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's shower time!