I give!

Options
I have been sticking to under my calorie goal and exercising every day. I weighed this morning after not weighing since last Thursday. I am up a 1lb. What gives?? Just finished my cycle so it shouldn't be water weight. I am ready to throw in the towel.

Replies

• LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    WOAH! I just took a look at your diary and you are WAYYYY to under. Your body is in starvation mode and is desperatly grasping at what little nutrition you are giving it. You need to eat more of the RIGHT FOOD and exercise hard and then you will see more of a difference.
  • lja7269
    lja7269 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    WOAH! I just took a look at your diary and you are WAYYYY to under. Your body is in starvation mode and is desperatly grasping at what little nutrition you are giving it. You need to eat more of the RIGHT FOOD and exercise hard and then you will see more of a difference.

Still doesn't make sense to me. I am eating less calories and running 2.5 miles at least every other day. I have gone back and forth with the starvation mode thing. What are you suggestions of right foods? I have been cutting back on carbs. I also do not like fruits.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Took a peek at your diary and you aren't eating enough.

You'll still lose weight like this - eventually, but it won't be fast or healthy.

Think of your body as a machine whose sole job it is to ADAPT to what is happening to it. It's brilliant at doing this. It only wants to survive - nothing else. You get too hot, your body adapts and sends blood to the surface of your skin to cool you down. You get too cold, everything slows down to conserve heat. Eat too much and your body stores whatever it can hold away for a rainy day... But eat too little and your body says "whoa, there's something bad going on out there, must be a famine or something, I better hang on to all this energy stored in my fat cells in case this problem lasts."

Very low calorie diets (VLCDs) can work under medical supervision but for the average person, really not a good idea imo.
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I upped my calorie goal this week by 200 and I rarely finish with more than 15 calories left in a day, that includes eating all my exercise calories. After upping my goal I lose 1.6 pounds this week and my target is just half a pound a week :). Think of your body as a car. If it doesn't have fuel, it can't run properly.

Think of it in terms of what our bodies are historically meant to be capable of: Eating as little as you are now plus exercising everyday, from your bodies point of view you are on the run from a terrible beastie with little to no opportunity for hunting or gathering. It's doing you a favor by holding on to every precious scrap of nutrients you give it so that you can continue to survive on the run. You aren't building muscle when you are eating that little. In fact, your body is sacrificing fat-burning lean muscle to keep you alive.

Give you body what it needs, food (not to much) and mostly plants (as Michael Pollan says.) plus ample exercise. A well fueled, fit body will burn hotter, feel better and shed fat much more efficiently than a starving one.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Go read about supplements on Dr Oz's website. He has suggestions for people who are doing the right things and getting nowhere.
  • Kevww1982
    Options
    Eat Something!!
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You need to EAT! Seriously!
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    No need to give up, just change around what you are eating and add some calories. Also stop eating so much fried food, try adding fruits and veggies. Are you eating dinner?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I would see about looking at your diary to see what/how much you're eating, asking about your water intake, or any other number of things, but I can't get past this...

You worked hard enough to shed 20 pounds and are now ready to quit because you went 4 DAYS without losing weight?
    Really?

This should be about getting healthy. Period. The scale is fickle, but every day that you make positive choices about what you put in your body and how you move your body, you are getting healthier. That's the important thing.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    How are you not starving all the time?

I eat almost twice as much as you, and I'm not running 3 miles a day.

You need to fuel your body.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're not eating enough. If you want expert advice, I would say it might be a good idea to see a nutritionist.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    1.) Eat more than 800 caloreies a day.
    2.) Eat more nutritionally substantial foods.
    3. Drink water.
    4.) Running is good. Try and incorporate sprints and to slowly increase your overall time, and distance. Try and add weight training if you can, this will help speed up your metabolism.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Still doesn't make sense to me. I am eating less calories and running 2.5 miles at least every other day. I have gone back and forth with the starvation mode thing. What are you suggestions of right foods? I have been cutting back on carbs. I also do not like fruits.

Ya I don't like broccoli or spinach or even salad, but I eat it. I have adapted my eating habits. You can add me if you like and take a look at my diary. I eat 1400 cals a day of GOOD food and it sustains me, fuels me and keeps off the weight. Although I don't have the same goals as you so I can eat more due to my heavy lifting. Someone also suggested a nutritionist, spend the money and do it! I think you need it in this case.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You worked hard enough to shed 20 pounds and are now ready to quit because you went 4 DAYS without losing weight?
    Really?

I honestly think it's because of her insanely low calorie intake. If I were eating that low I'd be ready to throw in the towel as well. Heck, I'd be trying to gnaw off my own arm at that point.

Eat more! Eat things that are good for you. There's got to be some fruit out there that you like, experiment until you find something. And carbs are not bad for you. Carbs give you energy. You need to eat a balanced diet.
  • lja7269
    lja7269 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok I apologize for my freak out. Just very frustrating to not see any loss and then to see a gain is even worse. As far as the comments about being hungry I do not have a problem with that. I made up my mind to lose weight. The first 2 weeks were hard but I pushed through it. I was eating around 1200 calories up until a week ago and tried to increase my weight loss a bit. Apparently this does not work. I will take a harder look at my diary and make some changes. Thanks everyone.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and weighing too much.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you wanna quit because of one pound? but that's like... but... holy hell peepee weighs a pound
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Ah, eat some food! Like others said, you need to eat more to keep your body on track. It's going to be as sparing with calories as it can possibly be when you eat that little, although you will eventually lose weight.

Also, if you have any liquid in your system, or if you're eating salty food, that can affect the scale. A gallon of water weighs like eight pounds or something. Two glasses can be a pound on the scale.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    oops dup