Cottage Cheese ideas

Options
Hi!,

I have read that cottage cheese is a great source of protein.

I have never eat it before so I dont know how to prepare it.
Maybe you guys have some ideas or recipes with it...

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    May sound a bit on the yucky side to some, but I like to put a little on a slice of toast (to where I have 1/2 a toast sandwich!) And I've not really done this, but some have told me that's it's good on certain veggies :wink: My mom even likes to have it melt on steamed broccoli!!!
  • Lookgreat
    Lookgreat Posts: 63
    Options
    We eat a lot of cottage cheese - its yummy with a bit of salt and a lot of pepper powder. To prepare cottage cheese at home - take 1 l of milk - boil it and when still on the heat add 1/2 cup of plain yoghurt (lemon juice is also a good substitute of yogurt) and heat it further for about a minute - the water and cheese will separate in the bowl. Then simply strain the water out - keep the cheese aside in the strainer for some time to ensure the water removal.Put it in the fridge - can be eaten cold or there are a lot of preparations with it - make a sandwich - put it in bread with salt, pepper and chillies if u like and simply grill it!
    Its an Indian dish - look up for " Paneer " dishes - the indian name for cottage cheese.
    Hope this helps!
  • ellacody
    ellacody Posts: 1
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. I put fruit in my like pineapple and pears. hope this helps.
  • dgweisblatt
    Options
    I love it with cucumber and cherry tomatoes!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    We eat a lot of cottage cheese - its yummy with a bit of salt and a lot of pepper powder. To prepare cottage cheese at home - take 1 l of milk - boil it and when still on the heat add 1/2 cup of plain yoghurt (lemon juice is also a good substitute of yogurt) and heat it further for about a minute - the water and cheese will separate in the bowl. Then simply strain the water out - keep the cheese aside in the strainer for some time to ensure the water removal.Put it in the fridge - can be eaten cold or there are a lot of preparations with it - make a sandwich - put it in bread with salt, pepper and chillies if u like and simply grill it!
    Its an Indian dish - look up for " Paneer " dishes - the indian name for cottage cheese.
    Hope this helps!

OOhhhh, good idea! How long do you boil it and how hard of a boil???
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    mmmmm cottage cheese is the best snack ever! It's healthy, good source of protein and just plain yummy! If Im feeling savory I eat it with hot veggies, if Im feeling sweet, I put fresh fruit or just a dab of your favorite jam and mix it together. Delish!!!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it with the little cooked salad shrimp and cut up tomatoes and then put it on salad. I also use it instead of ricotta cheese when I make lasagna.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I like to mix in diced peaches. Also mix in about a tsp of your fav jam and spread on toast for breakfast. MMMMMMM that's what I had!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I started off trying it with the little cups with fruit in them.
    That tasted good.

Now I like to have some fruit. starwberries, apples, grapes.. whatever is there.
    Put cottage cheese, and yogurt, stir around, and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    I usually just eat it by itself...yummy:smile:
  • skymmie
    skymmie Posts: 4
    Options
    I usually eat fat free cottage cheese for breakfast and sometimes for a snack. I usually will mix strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, or chopped apples with a sprinkle of pecans or almonds. I always sprinkle a single serve packet of sweetener to make the berries sweeter. I just started adding a couple spoons of fat free vanilla yogurt to add creaminess. I tastes like a thick creamy filling to a pastry. Yum! It really keeps you satisfied... hope you find some recipes you like!
  • fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    I just love cottage cheese! :heart: I have 2% fat cottage cheese like all the time, haha. If I'm craving for something, I might have a spoonful or two of it. When I have dinner, I always have it on the side of my plate, right next to sallad :happy: In the mornings, I usually have a slice of rye bread (at least 10% fiber), with cheese or ham, and some cottage cheese :smile:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I miss cottage cheese! :sad: It's just too high in sodium for my diet.

I just grabbed a spoon and dug in. Or put it with pears- deeelish!
  • AmyBrenn
    AmyBrenn Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My breakfast usually consists of cottage cheese mixed with 3/4 cup of lowfat vanilla yogurt, raspberries and sprinkled with FiberOne cereal for crunch.

Breakstones makes snack size servings that have 90 calories and 3 g of fat, I think. It's perfect for on the go. I love it mixed with any yogurt because it takes some of the sweetness out of the yogurt and gives it some thickness.

I too substitute ricotta cheese with FF cottage cheese in my italian dishes.
  • karlira
    karlira Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks thos are great ideas... Later I'll have a snack with cottage cheese and kraker bran...:drinker:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's also great heaped on some yummy whole grain bread, topped with some cinnamon and then put it under the broiler or in a toaster oven until is melty and yummy. I LOVE cottage cheese. I'm the only one in the house that eats it though. I can't even show it to my son or he gets the dry heaves! :sick:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I love the regular large curd cottage cheese, but its too high in calories for me. :brokenheart: I used to eat it on popcorn cakes, or chedder Sunchips.
  • TaeKonDomama
    Options
    I have always been a cottage cheese fan. I LOVE 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese and a baked sweet potato for a lunch or sometimes a supper. Some days I really crave that. The cottage cheese is nice protein and the sweet potato has a lot of good orange veggie vitamins. Or when I am feeling like a lasagna type meal the 2 oz.whole wheat noodles and cook up white turkey breast, add 1/2 cup spaghettie sauce (hunts mushroom has little fat and decent taste) and mix in the 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese and it has to taste of lasagne but much easier on the calorie and fat count.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Cottage cheese with strawberries... so good! :love:
  • christineluksis
    Options
    I hate the "juiciness" of cottage cheese so i put mine in a strainer and rinse with cold water. I then mix half a cup with either:
    -1 tbsp of peanut butter and a sliced banana
    -1 tsp peach jam and a sliced peach
    -1 tbsp pureed strawberry (sweetened with stevia) and 5 sliced strawberries and 5 sliced cherries.
    Oh, and i always sprinkle cinnamon in it!

It's the best dessert ever!