Any Polar FT7 users?

Options
I just used my Polar FT7 yesterday for the first time. I think it is accurate, but wanted opinions from others using it as well. I did a 3-mile jog, and my average heart rate was 167 for 43 minutes. It told me I burned 466 calories. That sounds like a lot, but I compared it to an online calculator, and it was pretty close. When I plugged it into MFP, I got a burn of 215 calories. I left it at that, but I assume the HRM is more accurate because it is based on my actual heart rate. Also - the calories burned according to my treadmill was pretty close to the MFP amount.

Also - my HRM transmits my heart rate to my treadmill (Sole F63), but the heart rate displaying on the treadmill was consistently 20-30 bpm higher than on the watch, and I am certain that the watch heart rate was correct. Any ideas on what could be causing this or how I could fix it?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Replies

• booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i use the FT7 and get a similar burn as you... my HR when i run is between 143-170 (i run outside usually) it takes me 45 minutes to cross the street and run 4 miles and i weight 153lbs.

as far as transmitting to your treadmill, it is probably a communication error between brands. If i workout at the gym all of the equipment is branded with the POLAR logo so they work together seamlessly without having to put my hands on the HR sensor.

Trust your HRM... MFP calculators are quite off and don't take into account your fitness level or anything.
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I've been underestimating my burn every time I workout then - by a huge amount!
  • Okieace
    Options
    I have a FT7 and I ran into the same thing. It was reporting my calorie burn wayyyy higher than what I was estimating. But I think it is pretty accurate and the problem was with my estimation skills. :-)
  • mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 as well and feel it is very accurate in calculating my calorie burn. LOVE it!! :)
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7....It has me burning far less calories than MFP calculated, but I always thought that MFP was way too high anyway.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Does this Polar FT7 calculate calories for activities such as swimming and bicycling, and strength? Or just for running and stuff?
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I just got my ft7. I've used it for almost a week now. I love it. Mine transmits to my bike, and the HR is accurate (though it takes the bike a couple seconds longer to catch up). The calorie burn on my bike is still off according to my HRM though...

I just use my HRM readout and go with it. Whether mfp has me higher or lower, I don't bother with it. I trust the HRM, as it has more accurate information.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me - that's about what I get too. :)
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think there is something that is not kosher going on when you input your exercise into MFP. I use a Garmin HRM and I also log my runs in another program on my computer and they both come within 10 calories or so of what MFP estimates.

When I plug 43 minutes of WALKING at 3.5 mph into MFP I get 233 calores.

When I plug in 43 minutes of RUNNING at a 12:00 minute pace I get 492 calories.

BTW I weigh 188 lbs.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    have been using a Polar FT7 since December and did the same as you and compared my HRM readout to that of the treadmill and various on-line calculators. I find that that of the HRM is the most accurate since it is reading the actual BPM.
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been using an FT7 for several months, it seems pretty accurate and consistent. Just remember to update your profile as your weight changes.
  • IRun4Me_12
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I just don't want to over-estimate my calories burned, but I agree, it should be the most accurate from my HRM because obviously, it knows how hard I'm working!
  • IRun4Me_12
    Options
    Does this Polar FT7 calculate calories for activities such as swimming and bicycling, and strength? Or just for running and stuff?

It bases your calories burned off of your heart rate no matter what activity you are doing. It is water resistant up to 30 meters. I personally only use it when I'm doing cardio. I don't use it when I'm doing strength training, but you could.
  • Rahul_ahuja
    Options
    I hv got ft7 and i was burning double then i was expecting however make sure that ur height weight and everything is correct in watch but i belive ft7 is preity much accurate.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options

It bases your calories burned off of your heart rate no matter what activity you are doing. It is water resistant up to 30 meters. I personally only use it when I'm doing cardio. I don't use it when I'm doing strength training, but you could.

Thank you so very very much, I have wanted and tried to get the answer to that for a long time now. :flowerforyou:
  • VictoriaSnape
    VictoriaSnape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey, i am looking into buying the FT7 heart rate watch, as it is the first time that i am buying something like this and is a relatively good price for a beginner.
    And as i have no idea what i am doing i wonder if someone could tell me if this would be okay for me to buy if i am running and also doing HIIT training, such as P90X, Insanity, or just some of the Jillian Michaels DVD's?
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hey, i am looking into buying the FT7 heart rate watch, as it is the first time that i am buying something like this and is a relatively good price for a beginner.
    And as i have no idea what i am doing i wonder if someone could tell me if this would be okay for me to buy if i am running and also doing HIIT training, such as P90X, Insanity, or just some of the Jillian Michaels DVD's?

I use it for my P90X, Insanity, TurboFire, HIIT, and all other workouts.....it works great!!