Help with Cauliflower Pizza Crust?

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
My pizza ends up being pretty expensive in calories, and then I think "Well that was a lot of work, next time I'll just get the $5 medium from little little caesars".

I wanted to see if anyone has any other crust recipes? Maybe something that calls for less cheese but still sticks together?

This is the one I have -

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Serves 2

Comes out to 215 per serving for just the crust (or 430 for the whole pizza crust)....and my pizza doesn't even end up being all that big. Bigger than a personal, but smaller than a medium. Plus that 215 isn't counting any toppings..which more cheese can quickly add in another 100 calories.

Anyone come across any better crust recipes?

Replies

• agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I JUST made this on Saturday, and I ended up with 136 calories per slice (just crust of course). How did you measure your cheese? by the oz. or by the general cup? That will make a difference.
  • McKristy
    Options
    That's actually the same recipe I used the other day, except I only used about 1/4 cup cheese for the crust. It sticks together well enough, but you can't pick it up to eat it, I eat it with a fork and that's fine with me.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Measured by Grams. Maybe I just have fattening cheese? Mine is over 100 calories per 1/3 cup...so 300 calories for 1 cup...
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!! LOL I tried it this weekend. I made the crust too thick and it didn't cook proper....I thought there was way too much cheese involved as well...I wonder what substitute I could use as well. !
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    That's actually the same recipe I used the other day, except I only used about 1/4 cup cheese for the crust. It sticks together well enough, but you can't pick it up to eat it, I eat it with a fork and that's fine with me.

^^^^THIS^^^^ Me too...it's pretty good!
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I only looked at a couple of days of your diary but couldn't tell if you are a meat eater but if so here is THE best pizza crust I have tried thus far and I have tried almost every alternative crust out there.

http://yourlighterside.com/easy-pizza-crust/
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    I only looked at a couple of days of your diary but couldn't tell if you are a meat eater but if so here is THE best pizza crust I have tried thus far and I have tried almost every alternative crust out there.

http://yourlighterside.com/easy-pizza-crust/

Yes I'm a meat eater lol. The minced chicken breast is interesting. I bet my husband would like that.
  • jgibson2
    jgibson2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Unless you're willing to go thin crust the calories are always going to be higher. Try using the La Tortilla Factory - Smart & Delicious Soft Wraps - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Whole Grain White = 100 calories and tastes great! It'll be somewhat like having your pizza on a tortilla chip but still does the trick for me. I love pizza but have still managed to satisfy my cravings using this and also mixing fat-free mozzarella and part-skim low fat mozzarella together the toppings along with any veggies(free calories), canned chicken and any spice(s) you like for added flavor. Cook on 375 for 15-20 min. depending on how crisp you like your pizza.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've tried this a couple of times because I've read so many RAVES about it. I can't get it to not stick ... or to be able to be lifted off the pan in any way shape or form... and it doesn't seem to have the expected flavor.

For me it turns out that pizza is all about the crust... so I will work my butt off when I desire pizza and I will make a real pizza crust.

Although, if you don't love cauliflower and you are trying to find a way to eat it, steaming it and then mashing it with a potato masher, add some liquids (I used unsweetened Almond Milk) and cheese (I used low fat cheddar shredded) and use a hand mixer to mix it all up. Yum! Not exactly "mashed potatoes" but definitely yummy.
  • McKristy
    Options
    Measured by Grams. Maybe I just have fattening cheese? Mine is over 100 calories per 1/3 cup...so 300 calories for 1 cup...

I also used reduced fat cheese.
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We use Flat Outs. The Italian ones 110 calories make a pretty good crust and my kids like to "decorate" their own.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    I use na'an bread (~260 calories per bread) as my pizza crust. I also pack my pizza with veggies over meats and cheeses. I choose cheeses like goat or feta that have strong flavors so you don't have to use tons to enjoy it.

I don't like the cauliflower crust idea because that's way more cheese than I need ON my pizza and that's just IN the crust. I could never put additional cheese on top... talk about overboard. You could try making cauliflower flat bread without the cheese, and that might work better for you. Google "cauliflower paratha" and just make the rounds thicker to use for a crust.
  • mg413
    mg413 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Unless you're willing to go thin crust the calories are always going to be higher. Try using the La Tortilla Factory - Smart & Delicious Soft Wraps - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Whole Grain White = 100 calories and tastes great! It'll be somewhat like having your pizza on a tortilla chip but still does the trick for me. I love pizza but have still managed to satisfy my cravings using this and also mixing fat-free mozzarella and part-skim low fat mozzarella together the toppings along with any veggies(free calories), canned chicken and any spice(s) you like for added flavor. Cook on 375 for 15-20 min. depending on how crisp you like your pizza.

We use the LaTortilla Factory 100 cal wraps too and add sauce, cheese, & toppings and it totally satisfies my craving as well!!!
  • Junepal
    Junepal Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    We use Flat Outs. The Italian ones 110 calories make a pretty good crust and my kids like to "decorate" their own.
    Me too and love it!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    For single serve or mini pizzas, english muffins and bagel thins work well
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It is so good and get's crispy, Jamie is awesome and has lots of great recipes, the deep dish will be my dinner experiment for today.
  • divergrrl
    divergrrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try Veggie Shreds, its in the Tofu/Soy section of the grocery store. (I found it at Safeway) It melts and tastes like cheese but 1/3 of the calories of regular cheese. My hubby even liked it, so much that he ate it all!
  • Chickie0999
    Options
    I've made it a few times and never use cheese in my crust, just cauliflower, eggwhite and spices, and I found that it help together quite nicely... just can't be too thick. :)
  • stosto77
    stosto77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump* Never tried this.