Flabby arms

Options
I have lost almost 20 pounds and am in sight of my goal weigh but need some help. I still have old lady flabby arms!!! I need some help short of going to the gym. Thanks!!

Replies

• w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Do you have dumbbells at home? I work out with 10 lb. dumbbells and have noticed my arms firming up a lot, even with only 13 lbs. lost out of my 100 lb. goal. In 2004-2005 I lost 83 lbs and worked out with 5 lb. dumbbells the whole time and I had nice muscle tone in my arms from it. There are a lot of good workouts available online.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I've always heard of them as "bat wings" but I get that question ALL THE TIME!

You can't spot-reduce or spot-tone or spot-anything (except, well, drawing a spot on a piece of paper - you can "spot" that)

1) Exercise - this includes strength training
    2) Drink plenty of water - hydrated skin is healthy skin
    3) Moisturize - see above
    4) Be patient and hope for the best. Age and genetics are going to play a HUGE role in whether or not you're going to deal with loose skin/bat wings. Also, skin can take a while to "bounce back" after weight loss, so give yourself a year or two once you're done losing and see how much your skin settles in that time.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options

You can't spot-reduce or spot-tone or spot-anything (except, well, drawing a spot on a piece of paper - you can "spot" that)

4) Be patient and hope for the best. Age and genetics are going to play a HUGE role in whether or not you're going to deal with loose skin/bat wings. Also, skin can take a while to "bounce back" after weight loss, so give yourself a year or two once you're done losing and see how much your skin settles in that time.

this
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    strength training. period.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    To help me tone I like to use dumbbells, my favourite exercises for my arms are the Arnold Press and tricep kickbacks which really help.

I also do these exercises;

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/weighttrainingbasics/a/dumbbells.htm

But I'm also trying to reduce weight and body fat.
  • lexidell46
    Options

this s so true
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If it's extra fat still lingering there you may have to just be patient and wait for it to go, since there's no way to spot reduce on fat. A calorie deficit will help reduce fat overall and it comes off first, where it comes off (genetics)

Aside from that, strength training (heavier weights, not just light weights/high reps) should help to make that area a bit tighter, by helping you to maintain your muscle mass while you lose weight (fat). You may even build a little if you're new to lifting (generally can't build on a deficit)

I'm also assuming you mean the under part of the arm (triceps) as that's a common area for women. You can do tricep exercises for the muscle there such as tricep dips, tricep pushdowns, skullcrushers. Also, chest exercises such as chest/bench press and push ups also work your triceps a little too :)
  • CharlottetheHarlot
    Options
    Pull downs and kick backs will definitely help to strengthen those areas.
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue!!! I wanted to wear a sleeveless dress the other night and was too ashamed of my arms to wear it!!
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I bought a shake weight about a year ago and just started using it again it's only 2.5lbs but you can definitely feel it in your biceps after about 2 or 3 min
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Hi, neighbor.
    If you don't have dumbells, get a 5- or 10-pound bag of sugar or flour from your pantry.
    While sitting or standing erect, hold the bag behind your head with your elbows as high as you can get them. Your upper arms should be vertical or nearly so.
    Keeping your elbows at the same height, raise the weight by straightening your elbows until the weight is directly overhead.
    Then, lower the weight back down to the back of your neck.
    Repeat 12-15 times, rest a minute, then do 12-15 more.
    This will tone the muscle at the back of your upper arms. This is the triceps muscle.
    For the front of your arm (the biceps), hold the weight in front of you with your arms almost straight down from the shoulders.
    Bending only your elbows and keeping them as near your waist elevation as possible, raise the weight to your chest.
    Hold it for a second or two, then lower it back down, and keep your elbows at the same level throughout. Don't let them move outward, away from your body.
    Repeat as above.
    When this gets too easy, use a heavier weight.
    You should see some improvement in a week or so.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    punching bag. Or even light weights and punching the air.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I can't do a gym, but even 5 or 10 pound dumbells at home can make a huge difference. Also, all the push ups and planking on Jillian videos is hitting my triceps hard. Body weight resistance might help.

Good luck! We are all women with women's bodies. We all share the same trouble spots eventually. Do what you can, then put on a tank top and be proud of yourself!
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options

I disagree. True, you can't spot-reduce (lose weight at a specific body area without losing weight in general). But you can spot-tone (exercise your arms for more muscle development underneath the skin).

Arm exercises (biceps, triceps, shoulder) will develop the muscles and help fill out the saggy areas where the fat has retreated. It doesn't mean that all loose skin will draw up, but it will help.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Jamie Eason 12 week trainer. Your whole body will get toned. My arms I have noticed especially are so firm now, my arms were still saying goodbye long after I stopped waving, they dont do that anymore!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 20 pounds and am in sight of my goal weigh but need some help. I still have old lady flabby arms!!! I need some help short of going to the gym. Thanks!!

Lift real weights (heavy) and reduce body fat, that's how mine went.
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice!!! Bumping this for later reading:)
  • mpizzirn
    Options
    Mary kay cellulite lotion system works great too - don't ask me how or why but I had the same problem and used it on my arms instead of my *kitten* LOL and it worked just as well - helped tighten up some of that loose skin. Also the bag of sugar trick works well - if you get a resistance band and do the same exercise it will help as well - you can spot tone muscles like that
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have noticed heavier weights do help also... still have a long way to my goal, and my arms are my least favorite area...but I can also see them getting smaller... muscle filling in some of the skin...I may still need the arm skin surgery someday...but we will see as I get closer...and honestly? Better to have the loose skin and be a healthy weight...then have that flubber hangin' around! :)
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump for later