What happened???!!! Help!

Options
Ok, so Wednesday I had a really intense workout with my trainer, so I skipped the gym Thursday. Friday we went out of town, and we spent an hour hiking/rock climbing. Saturday I spent all day skiing got started at 10:30 am, took a break for lunch and for a snack, left at 4pm. I rested yesterday since I am pretty sore and a bit worn out. Today my scale tells me i have gained 6 lbs!!! WTH? I was drinking lots of water, yes I ate a bit more to make up for some of the calories I was burning, but it shouldn't have been that bad!!! I didn't log all of my meals due to sketchy internet access and the fact that I was out having fun, and I know i didn't eat great, but I didn't do horribly bad either. For instance, Friday we ate at an Indian restaurant for lunch and I had a plate full of veggies and lentils. I had two slices of pizza and a large salad for dinner, and an egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast. Not great, but not terrible either. It took me six weeks to loose those six pounds and this is so discouraging.

Replies

• fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you were on quite a roller coaster on your vacation. Get back on your normal schedule tighten up your diet this week and I bet you will see a major drop. Sounds like your body was just a bit confused. It would be difficult to put on a 'true' 6 pounds unless you really gorged on some food!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight gain...Eating out has more sodium than eating at home, plus you were out of your routine...
    I would not worry about it...drink more water, go back to your normal and the scale should go back down in a few days....
  • jefarrell
    Options
    Definite water gain!!! The extra use of those muscles, they will retain the water! Keep flushing and back to the norm workout..you will see how fast that number will disappear!
  • elfinsnow
    elfinsnow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with the lkast post- Im always up after heavy activity. Drink plenty and your next weighin will be back to normal.
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes if I go outside the norm of my eating/exercise habits. I'll have been 142 the day before, then i hop on the scale and suddenly I'm 5 lbs heavier. Usually thats when I feel disheartened and decide that eating a pint of ice cream is a MUCH better idea than continuing on this futile journey! But I agree with everyone else, get back to your normal routine, wait a few days and weigh yourself again, I'll bet youll be back where you were before, if not lower (i usually come down about half a pound lighter than before).
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am going to say weight gain. I've noticed, personally, when muslce I don't use/workout a lot are sore that I retain more water.
  • gemma247
    gemma247 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i have this problem all the time, it is soo annoying xx
  • edmoulaison
    edmoulaison Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No worries. Just water. Give it a couple of days on your normal routine, drink a lot of water and the 6 pounds will be gone.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Definitely water weight from the sodium over the weekend.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It's the salt. just give it a few days.
  • Perdeks
    Options
    Salt! drink lots of water it'll come back off.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna split the difference and say it's 90% fluid retention and 10% miscalculated vacation cals. A dish at an Indian restaurant can be 700 cals at one place and 1400 at another and taste exactly the same. It's practically impossible to be accurate with things like that. There's no way you gained 6lbs of fat in a week, but you may have understimated cals enough to not lose anything either, and then throw on the extra sodium and bam up goes the scale. Nothing to worry about, it'll fall back off as you tighten up again.
  • PhoenixBlaise
    PhoenixBlaise Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yup. I agree, I think it's excess salt leading to water retention. I always gain when I travel too, it usually comes off really fast though.
  • gibnic
    gibnic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is encouraging.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    When looking at weight loss/gain one should veiw things as longer term trends...like weekly/monthly trends...instead of daily trends. There are too many variables in day to day weight loss that the number on the scale on any one day is useless. Yes, go ahead and measure every day if you want...but its really only the values over the long term...week(s), months(s)...that tell the story of weight loss or gain.

Dont panic...hang in there!!!!