Can you drink too much water?

MrsBurns
MrsBurns Posts: 2
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I know that you are supposed to drink 8 glasses of water daily, but is there such a thing as drinking too much water ?

Replies

• jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    Yup, actually if you drink too much you can actually poison your body. BUT that would take a lot a lot of water. You are supposed to drink half your weight in ounces. So if you weigh 150, drink 75 OUNCES of water :flowerforyou:
  • good question I think I drink too much water! Hope someone knows!
  • Rayoffitness
    Rayoffitness Posts: 11 Member
    Hello! Yes, you can drink too much water but it usually happens when you consume it all at once. If you drink water over the course of a day your body is more than likely going to be able to process it. So, remember to drink the water over time and not consume large amounts at one time....
  • Destined
    Destined Posts: 116
    Yes!!!!Like drinking a gallon of water in one sitting. :laugh: Actually the 6-8 glasses recommended depends on what you are doing activity wise or the type of weather. So it depends. When I am working out I drink like 68 ounces of water and it doesn't affect you. So I guess my final answer s it depends:happy: computer lock that answer in...Welcome I see You just joined this sight:flowerforyou:
  • MrsBurns
    MrsBurns Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the great answers!!!!
  • Definately. As was posted previously, you should drink 1/2 your body weight in OZ. per day. Also, be careful of IV's when you are in the hospital. My daughter was almost killed thanks to a few nurses who did not give her the appropriate amount of saline.

A few years ago there was a report of a lady who died during a contest to win a car. They had to drink a lot of water, keeping a hand on the car, and not going to the bathroom. She died thanks to the water. You want make sure if you are drinking alot, eliminate it. If you are not using the bathroom ALOT, call your doctor. It could save your life.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    A person with healthy kidneys can drink up to 11 qtrs of water a day without problem as long as it isn't all at once.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    its called water intoxication, and it is rare, cause it is hard to consume too much, you have to TRY to consume a lot for it to happen. try not to drink much more than half your body weight in ounces...as said before:tongue:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    its called water intoxication, and it is rare, cause it is hard to consume too much, you have to TRY to consume a lot for it to happen. try not to drink much more than half your body weight in ounces...as said before:tongue:

I really don't think you even have to limit it that much. I regularly drink a gallon or more of water a day. :noway: I used to drink almost that much soda a day and when I switched to water, I kept the habit of drinking a lot. :drinker: Anyway, all that was to say, if you was just drinking through the day, it unlikely you have to worry about it. Heck, my mom's a postal carrier, so during the summer she'll sometimes drink 2-3 gallons of water a day because it's bloody hot where she lives. :sick:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    ive only heard of one case where someone died of drinkin too much water....and the guy was on ecstasy ... which is a drug that makes you constantly feel dehydrated....so that really doesnt count because the drug was affecting the signals in his body ...=/
This discussion has been closed.