Exercising While Sick- a do or a don't?

Options
I have my first Sprint Triathalon on Sunday... I also have strep throat- again!

So which is worse? Exercising while my body is recovering and fighting off the infection, or resting completely (but potentially losing steam)?

Replies

• KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    load up on fluids and vitamin C.
    And REST!!!

A lack-luster workout isn't going to help you much plus, your body needs to focus on fighting off infection rather than recovering from a wourkout. It will do you more good for the race to be at 100% health than to get an extra train in before the race.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    REST....

If you workout and really wear your body out, then your race will be much harder than it should be.

Give yourself a day or two, and THEN do some light workouts. If you have a good training base, a day or two off won't hurt. And if your race is Saturday, you are probably almost ready to back off on your workouts anyway to give your body time to rest and prepare for the race.

Sprint Tris are a BLAST!!! I hope you have fun!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If I have the flu or something more serious (thankfully I've been well for more than a year now, with diet and exercise) to rest, congestion or head cold I always feel better with at least a brisk walk sometimes more.

Sounds like you need to stay this one out.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Please don't spread the germs to everyone at your gym.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you feel. You shouldn't be contagious after 24 hours on an antibiotic, and you'll probably be feeling fine a couple days after that. But really, don't infect everyone at the gym.
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    I would say rest but you only know how your body feels, get vitamin c into you and see how you feel. :happy: