opinons on my work out routine please :-)

Options
Ok so, I’m fairly new to the gym scene..I’ve built up from 0 to running 3k over three months and currently my rota looks like this:

Monday – 15 min ab blast followed by a 20 min run
Tuesday – 45mins of Zumba
Wednesday – 45 min Body pump class
Thursday – 45mins of Zumba
Friday – 45min Step class
Saturday – Horse Riding (odd days I may go for a run or a dance class on top)
Sunday - 30 min run followed by chilling out in the steam room and Jacuzzi for my efforts!

So my questions:

1. Am I doing too much? Someone mentioned a rest day on here – is it important? I don’t feel like I need one?
2. Am I doing too much cardio vs strength training?

Thanks!

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    You have almost all cardio if I am reading your post correctly. You need 2 solid days of strength training AND you need a day or two of rest.
    A better routine would be something like this:
    Monday - cardio
    Tuesday - strength training
    Wednesday cardio
    Thursday - strength training
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - cardio
    Sunday - rest
    Something like that.....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are, but I think that routine sounds awesome.
  • robbda
    robbda Posts: 82
    Options
    Thanks.. So maybe swap a Zumba for a kettle bell class?...I will have a look at the gym time table - I can do body pump on any day as they are daily
  • CharlottetheHarlot
    Options
    You definitely need to add in some strengthening with your cardio. You don't necessary have to alternate cardio and strengthening day to day but include lifting with all your workouts. Well, that seems to be working for me anyway. Best of luck!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree with the addition of strength training recommendation.

May not help so much with weight lose. But, it will help with strength, endurance and your body composition.

I added a simple weight routine to my week when I put my bike away for the winter last Dec. I have not lost any weight since but I have gained a lot in strength and I am down a pant size!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Question on this similar idea. If you cardio class 2 days a week and lift 2 days a week, is there room to fit 5k training in too? I guess, how long is too long for cardio?

Edited for typos. :grumble:
  • robbda
    robbda Posts: 82
    Options
    thanks everyone! Really appreciate your replies :-)