20 MINUTES ON TREADMILL

Options
i will usually work for 15-20 minutes on either the treadmill or elliptical and will always aim to burn 200 calories or slightly more. after that i will go do some weight training.
is that enough cardio to be burning fat? or do i need to do more? i read somewhere that if you do long moderate exercises its not as beneficial?

Replies

• abbeysadleir
    abbeysadleir Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight, but I do no more than 20 minutes each time I do cardio (I do HIIT for 20 minutes, 3x a week). HTH
  • AlternateName
    AlternateName Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Any caloric deficit you can create, whether it is though exercise or diet, will burn fat and help you lose weight, some of which will come from fat loss. That said, the more you exercise, the larger the deficit and the greater the weight loss. If you are referring to the amount of exercise needed to hit some sort of optimal "fat burning zone", then I'm not sure as I've seen lots of conflicting info on that. If you can though, increasing the amount of cardio to at least 30 minutes per session can only be beneficial.

You may also want to try doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) for cardio, if you are not already doing so, as that is supposed to promote more fat burning than doing steady state cardio for the same amount of time.

Hope this helps!
  • horsesandhipbones
    Options
    I do short bursts of cardio...that's what I've been advised to do. So usually I go to the gym twice a week, and each time I do 15 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the bike, then another 15 minutes on the treadmill, with 5 minutes of stretching in between.

This seems to work well for me, although to be honest, everybody's different...so what works for me might not work for you!
  • abbeysadleir
    abbeysadleir Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    okay thankyou everyone! i might do HIIT today and do 30 seconds, with 90 or 60 seconds rest in between. 8 times