iphone App or HRM feature to measure distance?

Options
Hello...

First of all, I know I can google but it's Monday and I'm lazy. Plus, where else to find GOOD exercise advice than MFP..

I've been running now twice a week for an hour each time. I want to measure how far I'm running. I have the Polar FT4 and I also have my iphone (I just got it a couple of weeks ago). I'm not sure if my HRM measure's distance or not as I didn't read the manual. I know but I never do.

So is there an app or does my HRM do it? Thanks!

Replies

• SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't have an HRM, I use Runkeeper to track my runs. Only problem is that sometimes the damn GPS signal is bad and it tracks me as doing 854 miles in 1 hour. LOL... but the weather's been weird here and I'm assuming cloud cover and all that crap has something to do with it.

P.s. Awesome job on running! w00t!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I don't have an HRM, I use Runkeeper to track my runs. Only problem is that sometimes the damn GPS signal is bad and it tracks me as doing 854 miles in 1 hour. LOL... but the weather's been weird here and I'm assuming cloud cover and all that crap has something to do with it.

muahahah that made me laugh out loud. I'm impressed!

I just saw runkeeper and the Nike+GPS.. have you used that one?
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't think your particular HRM will do that. There are some good apps out there that are free that will however, (I have a droid, but they could be the same) Map my run and my tracks are two that I can think of. Good Luck!
  • wakeywildcat
    wakeywildcat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use sporty pal on my phone and FT7 HRM it is a fantastic app, no problems with it at all.
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have an app called iMapMyRun and it measures distance and average speed. THere is a free version and it's an awesome app
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Check out MapMyRun.

I use MapMyRide and love it.
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and it doesn't measure distance.( unless I haven't figured out how to). I use runtastic (an app on my phone) to measure my distance. I also have the Nike + on my iPod nano but when I compared it to my results from runtastic, it has me running a longer distance and at a faster pace than the phone app. I don't use the Nike + shoe inserts because the website says the insert or sensor is optional for the new nanos.
  • AlternateName
    AlternateName Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll add another vote for Runkeeper here. Love the app and website!
  • bxbutterfly
    bxbutterfly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i use runkeeper however where i run inside the GPS doesn't work.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    fitbit
  • crysmcd1
    Options
    i use endomondo. great app. works for cycling too. gives you your split times too and lets you know speed per mile. love it.
  • Paul_Kent_UK
    Paul_Kent_UK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you use Runkeeper to log the run, you can then attach the HRM file to give you the larger picture of your performance. Depends if the FT4 has the export capability - I used the FT7.

I've just switched to using a Garmin Forerunner which does both but still upload to the Runkeeper website.
  • clankp22
    clankp22 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I run with my iPhone I use Nike +. The GPS works great and it calculates distance, speed, pace, etc. I also have the new nano with Nike+, however, that does not use GPS, so the distances are usually off a bit. When I want accurate info, I run with my phone.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

muahahah that made me laugh out loud. I'm impressed!

I just saw runkeeper and the Nike+GPS.. have you used that one?

Nike+GPS isn't available for Android phones .. but I have a bunch of friends that use it and they all love it.
  • burgenah
    Options
    I use iSmoothRun and it it the closest to my Polar HRM, tracks time, distance, mood, average pace, speed and calories burned! also gives weather and fastest song, which for me yesterday was *Bad Example by the Pistol Annies! hmmmm?
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I got the NIke+GPS app.. I'll let ya'll know how it works!