Runners! Diagnose me!

I recently started to mix jogging into my 30-60 minute walks after not running since July. I went and bought brand new running shoes that I wore for about a week for walking to help break them in. I was told I was a little flat footed so they had me buy a pair of shoes that offered arch support. They are super comfortable for walking. On Friday I jogged for about 7 minutes (intervals of 1-1.5 minutes while walking). Now I am getting a sharp pain under the little bone bump on the inside of my ankle. Sorry for sounding kind of dumb but I don't know what it's called.

It isn't a constant pain and it is not so horrible that I can't walk. Mostly just when I apply too much pressure when taking a step or if I twist funny during a step. I don't want to run again until the pain goes away and risk further injury, but I want to avoid future injuries by not addressing the cause...make sense?

I'm just wondering if it's the shoe that caused it or if I'm just destined to never run again *insert over exaggeration*. Any ideas/advice?

Thank you!!

Replies

• hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    bump? anyone out there?
  • abrn93
    abrn93 Posts: 77 Member
    Did you get your shoes at a specialty running store where they actually watch you walk to see what kind you need? Sounds like your shoes don't fit properly...maybe too much arch support...
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Did you get your shoes at a specialty running store where they actually watch you walk to see what kind you need? Sounds like your shoes don't fit properly...maybe too much arch support...

This..

sounds like your shoes dont support your foot right.
  • Arch supports kill me but then again I was told I need a neutral shoe (no extra support). Most likely it's the shoes.
  • I would love to help, but that is one spot that I have never had the pain at, so no idea what to tell you to help. Where it is bone-focussed and I have RA, I would be going to doctor to insure it wasn't anything... however, maybe someone else has gone through this and has some insight?
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    It's really hard to diagnose over the internet, but from my experience breaking in new shoes can make funny aches and pains, but if they don't go away and keep coming back after a few runs, the shoes could be the culprit. Also have found that shoes that are comfy for walking can be terrible for running - finding the right shoe can be tricky!
  • hellonheels88
    I did go to a specialty running store. I wonder what their return/exchange policy in. I might contact them.
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    If you are flat footed why do you need arch supports? I would think I person who has no arch but wears a shoe with an arch would be putting pressure on their foot & forcing it up when it didn't need to do that. IMO, arch supports are for people who have high arches. But of course, I am not an expert.
  • abrn93
    abrn93 Posts: 77 Member
    Most will take them back if you did not use them outside.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    I may not be the shoe... I had the same problem when I began running and the doc had me wrap it with an ace bandage while I ran. Mine was a result of running too much without the proper build up of supporting muscle. I'm fine now i just should have slowly worked up to it. It can take time for all the many small supporting muscles and such to build up and get used to supporting you while you run.
    Also, I had to work on my running posture - Leaning slightly forward and trying not to strike my heals so much. Head up and arms loosly pumping at my sides.

Hope this helps! It's never a bad idea to get it checked out if it continues.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    I did go to a specialty running store. I wonder what their return/exchange policy in. I might contact them.

Yes, I would go back to the store- sounds like your foot isn't landing properly with the fit.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    I was told to break them in for about 100 miles before running distance but it seems you haven't run very far, maybe you need a little more breaking in.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member

did they put you on the treadmill and analyse your running to recommend the shoes?

Either way take them back and tell them the problem.

Good shoes are a must

Tim
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Learn proper running form. Strike mid-foot instead of with the heal. Spend a small amount of time running barefoot because it forces you to run properly. The best shoes in the world won't help you if your form is bad.
  • hellonheels88
    If you are flat footed why do you need arch supports? I would think I person who has no arch but wears a shoe with an arch would be putting pressure on their foot & forcing it up when it didn't need to do that. IMO, arch supports are for people who have high arches. But of course, I am not an expert.

I thought the same thing. He said that when I bent my knees, they drew inward slightly. He said arch support would correct that. This was my first time getting fancy shmancy shoes. I will take them back in and see what they have to say.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    From somebody with flat feet I had all kinds of pain during the initial "break in" period of my body getting used to the new arch support. It sounds like an inflamed tendon, something I will always have after a serious ankle injury in 99'.

I'm no Dr. but I can tell you Ice is your best friend. I personally would see if ice after the short runs helps. I bet it will.

If you have never had good arch support and suddenly do it'll take a few weeks for your body to adjust depending on how flat your arches are.
  • hellonheels88
    Thanks for the input guys! Like I said I'm just getting back into after taking 8 months off. I'll give it a little time and try to break them in a little more. And I'll take the advice from the person who said to run barefoot. I never really considered that but it definitely makes sense. I've been working on focusing on my form as well. I feel like a running virgin all over again :-P
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 992 Member

Trust me, I have flat feet and I need all the arch support I can get. I ended up with plantar fisciatis and if I don't have arch support ALL THE TIME when I walk, even around the house, I am in pain and can't run, in fact I end up walking on the outside of my feet which pulls my knee which then hurts when I run. Not fun. Please, if you have flat feet, make sure you get enough arch support!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    I was told to break them in for about 100 miles before running distance but it seems you haven't run very far, maybe you need a little more breaking in.

The majority of modern shoes do NOT need "breaking in". You need to get your feet and legs adjusted to the shoes, particularly if you're changing brands. But the shoes themselves do not need "breaking in".
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member

I thought the same thing. He said that when I bent my knees, they drew inward slightly. He said arch support would correct that. This was my first time getting fancy shmancy shoes. I will take them back in and see what they have to say.

The forcing "normalization" of the arches does cause the arches to rise and in turn align, the foot, knees, hips and back. It's pretty huge what flat arches affects.