Another Favorite (And Simple, Of Course!) Chicken Recipe

Options
finallychelle
finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
1) Brown onions, shallots, sliced garlic, green onions and boneless, skinless chicken breasts together in a half tablespoon of olive oil (medium-high setting). I do all this in a 6 quart, teflon lined pot that I love.

2) Once everything looks brown and delicious add one cup of white wine and cook until the volume reduces by about half. (The gravy will look-- and taste-- so delicious, at this point, that you'll want to just spoon it out and eat it!)

3) Add a generous amount of celery, rosemary, thyme, sage, basil and black pepper— and enough water to almost cover the chicken. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and let simmer.

That's it!

In a few hours you should have tender chicken perfection.

So what quantities of the above items should you add?

I just play it by ear but I generally use 1 to 2 tsp of each of the spices, one onion, 3 stalks of celery, 3 stocks of green onions, one shallot and as many cloves of garlic as I feel like slicing up.

There is no such thing as too much garlic.

And it's kind of hard to go wrong with this type of cooking. A little more of this or less of that will still result in something delicious.

Also, feel free to add a second round of seasonings about a half hour before it's done. I prefer pungent flavors and like to add a little more kick toward the end of the process.

If you do 6 chicken breasts at once then the olive oil will only add 10 calories per chicken breast (assuming you eat 1/6th of the gravy with it).

One cup of Franzia chardonnay has 168 calories in it. Once you cook off the alcohol there is some disagreement over how many calories are left-- but it's definitely less.

Even if you're conservative and and say that it still has 120 calories, that only adds 20 calories per chicken breast.

The spices and veggies add a minimal number of calories.

So for only a 30-40 calorie gain per chicken breast you end up with something positively delicious.

I like that kind of math!

To see more of my lo-cal recipes please check out my MFP blog here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/finallychelle/view/my-lo-cal-recipe-collection-195763

-putsloveinhercookingchelle

Replies

• cherylaclark
    cherylaclark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    gotta try this!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy, but I have never cooked with wine before.. Can I substitute Chicken Broth for that??
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Sounds yummy, but I have never cooked with wine before.. Can I substitute Chicken Broth for that??

I don't see why not!

A lot of store bought broth is loaded with sodium-- and sodium has a way of creeping into everything-- so just read your labels and do the best you can!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options

Once other quick thing-- if you're concerned about the alcohol in the wine I can assure you that none remains after it's been cooked like this.

As it boils and simmers the alcohol boils off, first (it has a lower boiling point than water) followed by some of the water. So once you've reduced the volume of the wine by about a third you are completely alcohol free. A quick taste will reveal that the bright, alcohol flavor is completely gone and has been replaced by the deeper flavors of everything else.

I usually cook red meats with red wine (boxed Chianti for $12.99 for a 5 liter box) and poultry with white wine.

-Chelle