Worst Advice Ever?

Options
2»

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Why spray windex on the food? Might as well just throw it out...haha

Anyways, my fiance told me once just to starve myself if I wanted to lose weight that bad...haha
  • Trophyyf
    Trophyyf Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It was from a doc who put me on a 800 calorie shake diet and diet pill and said it was perfectly healthy!! That diet was so terrible I felt so grouchy!!

Oh and can I add I was about 30 pounds lighter then Iam now!!!
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    A month ago a doctor told my wife that cardio is bad for you. She was asking him when she could start exercising again post surgery. He told her not to b/c cardio is bad. She is a personal trainer so she was like WTF!?! She is happily doing loads of cardio again. What planet is he on? I think his medical license should be revoked!
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    The source of the carbs DO count! 100 calorie packs of cheezits are NOT the same as 100 calories from a banana!

I :heart: you. That is all.
    Thank you! I :heart: you too!
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    A month ago a doctor told my wife that cardio is bad for you. She was asking him when she could start exercising again post surgery. He told her not to b/c cardio is bad. She is a personal trainer so she was like WTF!?! She is happily doing loads of cardio again. What planet is he on? I think his medical license should be revoked!

Sure he didn't mean cardio would be bad for her specifically? Maybe having something to do with the surgery she just underwent?

(if you've already played this scenario out, then I apologize for playing devil's advocate)
  • athensguy
    Options
    All of the "diet plans" out there that are low fat/high carb, REGARDLESS of the source of the carbs. Yeah, that doesn't work for me and the majority of the overweight/obese population who are insulin resistent. The source of the carbs DO count! 100 calorie packs of cheezits are NOT the same as 100 calories from a banana!

The worst advice I see usually says that the source of calories is really important.

In this case, an insulin resistant person may be better off with the Cheez-its since they don't have any sugar while the banana is loaded with sugar.

For people without diseases like that, it doesn't matter much where your calories come from. For the normal person, the primary difference between the banana and Cheez-its would be that the Cheez-its are high in sodium while the banana is high in potassium. As long as your micronutrient totals are OK, then that won't be a problem.
  • chantal626
    chantal626 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I could see how the Windex thing would work....but some people don't have the money to waste food like that! Just only put on your plate what you're going to eat!
    Anyway, this girl I used to be friends with told me to eat less and less calories everyday. Like the first day eat 1000, the second day 900, the third 800 ect until you got to 100. She was like "you'll get used to it if you take it a step at a time." She did this herself and on top of it worked out for 2-3 hours a day. -__-
    Pretty sure she had some type of eating disorder tbh.
  • liljgrafix
    Options
    You dont need ro lose weight. I like plump women..

well excuse me but i dont want the word "plump" anywhere near my name thank u very much
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    I've struggled with various ailments and illnesses over the past year and a half and am a notorious healthy eater. My father tells me constantly "All you need to do is go get yourself a big juicy cheesesteak…It'll cure everything." Uhh not so much, daddy-o!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    my friend was on slimming world or weight watchers diet, im not sure which and always told me you could eat as much pasta, vegetables, fruit etc as u wanted. this is probobly why the diet didnt work lol x

yep thats slimming world green days. i joined, did a green week, got told off for not eating enough and then i jumped on the scales and the consultants jaw hit the floor, i had gained 6lb, never went back
  • MissJenn33
    Options
    From my husband (who does mean well but has no clue)

1. just do sit ups and you'll be fine.
    2. just run a mile a day and you'll be fine.
    3. just eat the damn brownie and you'll be fine.

:ohwell:
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    From a girl at work "just chew food up then spit it out so you get the taste without the calories" I'm pretty sure she had an ed

Oh and last January just before I found here I went to my Dr for advice and he handed me a prescription for xenical with no explanation and said join weight watchers. When I told him I couldn't afford ww he just shrugged and said to go for a walk instead?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    my friend was on slimming world or weight watchers diet, im not sure which and always told me you could eat as much pasta, vegetables, fruit etc as u wanted. this is probobly why the diet didnt work lol x

yep thats slimming world green days. i joined, did a green week, got told off for not eating enough and then i jumped on the scales and the consultants jaw hit the floor, i had gained 6lb, never went back

Definitely Slimming World. In what world will you really lose weight by eating unlimited pasta, potatoes and fruit? One of my colleagues lost 7lbs in a week last November on SW... then has put it all back on - and some - since. She has a bowl of fruit on her desk at work and eats and eats and eats from it, on top of her normal three meals a day. Yes, fruit is good for you, but it still contains calories.

I was tempted to try SW as, if you exercise portion control, it seems a sensible plan, but the reality is that if I have a carb-laden diet then my stomach turns into a bottomless pit. Whereas if I keep my carbs in check (not massively low, just around 100g a day) then I can easily stay within 1500 calories a day without feeling massively hungry.
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    my ex friend told me once that she was going to go on a coke binge to lose all the weight then stop. hahahha she never did it though thankfully.