Running whats better distance or time??

Options
As part of my bid to lose weight i decided to do early morning runs. I used to do it regularly when I was in the army but that was 20 years ago:noway: :noway:
I have started easy with a mile jog which I do in about 12 mins.
As I get used to the distance and speed that I am doing I want to increase to get more benefit.
Which is better to increase?
Do I add extra distance and keep a similar pace, or do I pick up the pace and just try to improve my time on the present distance.
Which would give me the best benefit::huh:

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If you want to use this to loose weight, than distance would be better. The longer you are out there the more calories you will burn.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question ColinQ. As someone that just started running and am slowly building up (adding one minute a day) I was wondering the same thing.
  • cravune
    cravune Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    would say in a situation where you are not up to a decent level of fitness then time....you could do 5 miles at a slow pace and not burn as much as you would in half the distance if you could do it in 7/8 min mile.

best thing for you to do is get yourself a heart rate monitor, then you can monitor your cals burned on each run
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    When I was running, and hopefully I will be again soon, I ran 3 times a week, 1 was short (5k) and fast, one was regular 5k and I did 1 slow 10k, but I gradually increased my speed and distance. Maybe you can increase 1 run gradually by speed, increase one gradually by distance, and keep 1 regular?

Intervals can help increase speed and if you increase distance dont increase by more than 10% per week.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I've read that calorie count is connected to distance, not to time. (If you think in terms of physics, more work is being done over distance; time doesn't matter, so you need more energy to do the more work)
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Congratulations on your decision to start running again. I'm a new runner. I've been running for 2 years now. I love what running has done to my body. Even when I weigh more than I want to, running keeps me in shape.(I hope that made sense :smile: )

Couch to 5k is a great program to help you get started again.

For weight loss, definitely gradually increase your distance, about 10% a week and don't even think about speed for now. This way you will slowly build up your running muscles again without getting injured. As you run a little farther, I think you will see an improvement in your pace and you'll burn more calories.
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Calories burned really depends on time AND intensity. I agree with MissMessy, it would be a good idea to do both. Try to reduce your time on the short runs, but also increase your distances on other runs. If I had to chose one, I would go with increasing distance for now. Once you work your way up to 3 miles, then you can really focus on decreasing your time. Don't be afraid to change things up though. On some days you could do more of an interval training where you go at a pretty fast pace for a minute or so and then walk or slow down for 30 seconds and then go fast again. This type of training will help increase the distances you can run while decreasing your times!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I've read that calorie count is connected to distance, not to time. (If you think in terms of physics, more work is being done over distance; time doesn't matter, so you need more energy to do the more work)

I think this is slightly off, but on the right track. It has to with HR zones too. For example, I ran the same route Sat as today. On Sat I ran it at a 11 min mile and burned 190 calories (Polar FT60). Today I ran it at a 12 min mile and burned 205 calories. Our bodies burn more calories at a constant slower pace. However, if your goal is to maximize your fitness you want to increase speed.
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    This may be true during the actual exercise, but the higher your intensity is the longer you will continue to burn calories after you have completed your activity. So in the long run you actually burn more calories the higher your intensity for the same distance.

I think this is slightly off, but on the right track. It has to with HR zones too. For example, I ran the same route Sat as today. On Sat I ran it at a 11 min mile and burned 190 calories (Polar FT60). Today I ran it at a 12 min mile and burned 205 calories. Our bodies burn more calories at a constant slower pace. However, if your goal is to maximize your fitness you want to increase speed.
  • ColinQ
    ColinQ Posts: 76
    Options
    This is all very interesting, I have run quite a lot in the past for fitness but not to help me lose weight. Its good information to know:smile: Now I'm dieting I have to look at it a whole new way:bigsmile:
  • AlmostHot
    Options
    Actually, since it is a lifestyle change, you should run for fitness and fun not just to lose weight, you will lose the weight then what??? What are you going to di with your running then? why dont you start that journey now. I am in the early stages of running, but I want to compete, so I am working my way there! (It is beside the point that I'm obese at the moment, I wont be this size by then. Make sense? Not trying to argue, hope it comes across as conversation. I am told I speak a bit harshly lol
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Colin, as someone who has also reached the 50th year (and a few more), I've found that varying the intensity of my workout is more beneficial to me than a slow, steady pace. By adding a sprint to your running gets the heart rate up. You will cover more ground in the same amount of time. You will feel energized and alive...and you will shed a few extra pounds of fat. Not bad, eh? Best of luck to you!
  • tvfit
    tvfit Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of MissMessy's comments: Why not google your local track club and pick out a race to train for. Also as mentioned before, the couch to 5k program is a good one (google that, too!). This weekend, my husband and I "wogged" a 5k race and there were a ton of families there doing it. They were very welcoming. I HAVE to have a goal when training to motivate me. Maybe that will help with your lifestyle change, too.

Good luck!

PS, I'm also a heart rate monitor fan (all good advice above, you see!). I train to burn a certain number of calories and that keeps me going!
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of MissMessy's comments: Why not google your local track club and pick out a race to train for. Also as mentioned before, the couch to 5k program is a good one (google that, too!). This weekend, my husband and I "wogged" a 5k race and there were a ton of families there doing it. They were very welcoming. I HAVE to have a goal when training to motivate me. Maybe that will help with your lifestyle change, too.

Good luck!

PS, I'm also a heart rate monitor fan (all good advice above, you see!). I train to burn a certain number of calories and that keeps me going!

There are free "podrunner" podcasts available too...I think it is called Podrunner first day to 5K. It's a 9 week program. It has some good music mixes and chimes when you should switch between walking and running. It's nice to not have to think about timing you intervals.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to mix it up. One day short and fast, next day intervals, another day for a long run. This helps develop your run distance and speed and also fools your body so it doesn't know what's coming next which helps you to lose weight.

Good Luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • ColinQ
    ColinQ Posts: 76
    Options
    This is all great information. I've added some changes to my running, I've added some sprints, so as I'm jogging round I will reach a lamppost and then sprint to the next one. When I get back as part of my warm down I do stretches and then hit the ab roller sit up machine and do about 100 situps and another 100 oblique situps. I have noticed that my waistline is starting to slim, but I even after doing my exercise for 2 weeks I still have tight calf muscles. I warm down after and stretch them, but during the day when I get up from my desk I get that feeling as though they are about to cramp up, my muscles feel like tennis balls. Its not cramp though its just that they tighten up while I'm sitting.:frown:
  • AlmostHot
    Options
    Sounds like you have it worked out!

Are you drinking enough water? I get really tight calves when I'm tired, not from exercise just in general, I think it can also have something to do with your sodium levels, have you been tracking sodium?

If they are sore from exercise, sometimes it is good to stretch them when you first wake up in the morning while they are still relaxed, just becaredul though because it is easy to over stretch them while they are relaxed too!

Anyway just wanted to say, I'm glad you are enjoying your running, I will be doing my first walk/run tomorrow after a long 6 weeks preparation, I'm soooo excited!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The amount of running you do should depend on your overall goals.

The body only knows time and intensity -- how long and how hard you work out. Distance is an artificial construct we use to define time and further quantify results. In other words, your body knows that it worked at a 70% intensity for 20 minutes--it's irrelevant whether an individual has run 1.5 or 4 miles during that time. Traditionally, runners have focused on distance to define their training volumes.

It doesn't make much sense, for example, to keep running a 1-mile distance faster and faster--ultimately you are decreasing your workout time.

Are your goals general fitness/weight loss? Then your average running time should approximate your other cardio workouts.

Are you looking to develop performance goals--i.e. running races, etc. If so, then you should design your program to meet those goals.

Whichever you choose, running programs should always include variety--as others have mentioned. Usually that means 1 longer, slower run, 1 shorter, more intense run (or interval workout) and 1-3 runs at your "average" mileage or duration, varying terrain and intensity.