snack before working out??

Options
I have been going to the gym on a daily basis. Is it been to have a snack 15 mins before working out? Like one day I had a Special K protein bar around 20 mins before working out. Or is it not really needed?

Replies

• TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    love this question. i was wondering the same thing
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel. I've read opposing views from different trainers - some say you should eat before workout out, others say you shouldn't. Personally, I exercise first thing in the morning, within a half hour of waking, so I don't eat before my first workout of the day. Some people don't have enough energy if they don't eat something first, others feel sick or icky if they eat.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I usually have something small (approx 100 calories) about a half hour before I work out so that I have energy. My workouts are better because I have that extra bit of energy.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I always have a Kashi bar (140 calories) on the way to the gym and a Gatorade G2 grape during my workout....
  • yanna24
    Options
    Have something to keep you energized before your workout but it is very important you have something after your workout, because that is when your metabolism is at it's highest. Re-fuel your body with carbs, I have heard from a few people that chocolate milk is excellent for after a work out. Remember, you bodys metabolism is working at high speed so it will work off a lot of the fat and stuff without making you feel tired and worn out the rest of the day.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I train otherwise I find that I flake, especially as I do quite high intensity exercise for a minimum of 60 min.

If its an early morning workout I will have a banana or if later on I will have a protein bar / shake 1hr before training, I cannot eat any closer to workout or I want to throw up!

Also ensure that you eat within 60-90 min of finishing your exercise
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I always have a Kashi bar (140 calories) on the way to the gym and a Gatorade G2 grape during my workout....

Can I just say wow on the weight loss ;)