Trying to run half a marathon...

Options
Hey,

I'm James. Studying at university. 21 years old. Decided about 3 months ago I was going to run the Great North Run in 2012. So now I'm signed up to that I have no option but to do it and I reckon it's the perfect motivation to get fit and lose some weight (about 25lbs ish is my target). Got just under 7 months until the run, recovering from a knee injury playing football 5 weeks ago, so I hope I recover soon from that.
Joined MFP about a week ago and love the whole community it provides and the support and motivation users give each other is awesome. I've got a few friends already, and would love more. So if you're aim is to run a half marathon or to just improve your life, add me.

:)

Replies

• gleechick609
    Options
    Best of luck to you. I am trying to run a half marathon April 1st but injury may prevent me from doing so.
  • timaeus_drache
    timaeus_drache Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'd love to be able to run a half-marathon someday. Right now I'm peaking at around 10k though.
  • Mellymel46
    Options
    Jogging/Walking my second half marathon March 4th...There is nothing like it. Have fun!!!
  • butterflyrae2010
    butterflyrae2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I hope to do that one day. Right now I am just trying to get back in shape to run a 5k in July
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just thought I'd go for the whole thing. I've never run more than 2 miles in my life (except during football matches, but I don't exactly keep count)
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Brilliant goal to aim for! You have plenty of time to get in shape for it - but don't leave it until too late ;)

I am doing my first half - in May. My furthest so far is a 10k - and I am not a fantastic runner. So I am just working on longer runs from this week onwards now.

Goodluck!
  • THECrazyHamster
    THECrazyHamster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stay positive and you can do it! I have finished (via a combination of walking and jogging) 3 half-marathons and the self satisfaction when you cross that finish line is something that you only really know when you have experienced it for yourself!

The first one that I did was strictly a walk and we finished that is just over 3 hours (good friend as walking partner kept me going!) and 6 months later we finised one (walking and jogging) in UNDER the 3 hours that we were shooting for. The most rewarding one however was the 3rd one, of which I encountered solo! It ended up taking me longer as I was dealing wtih a hip injury, but I finished!!

Just keep you head up and your feet moving forward!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my 2nd half in June. You'll love it! Feel free to add me!
  • mabrywynn
    mabrywynn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in November 2011 and it was wonderful...I didn't train as well as I had hoped to but can say that I actually ran the whole entire thing. It felt amazing to accomplish that and I am planning on doing another in the fall. There are some great training schedules online
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Yeah I have a charity position to run with my local Age Concern. I'm doing it with a friend as well so we'll egg each other during the race. Actually looking forward to it.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 5K in July and a 10K in September - depending on how it goes I might bump that 10K up to the Half. I'm not a runner at all... but I really want to be. Last week I ran 3 miles (no walking) for the first time in my life... Feel free to add me if you want.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Nice! I ran my first half last year, didnt think I had anywhere near the time to train for it but put in the hard yards.

In February I joined here, could hardly run more than a km. By the event (beginning of July) I not only completed the half but got it in my goal time of less than 2 hours.

I've been away from running a bit lately but have registered for my next half in May and then I have a 25km trail in June.

Love to work with you on the training if you need a kick in the butt ;)
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Nice! I ran my first half last year, didnt think I had anywhere near the time to train for it but put in the hard yards.

In February I joined here, could hardly run more than a km. By the event (beginning of July) I not only completed the half but got it in my goal time of less than 2 hours.

I've been away from running a bit lately but have registered for my next half in May and then I have a 25km trail in June.

Love to work with you on the training if you need a kick in the butt ;)

I need a kick in the butt! I'm working on the C25K program right now. Currently on week 5. Took a break to attempt to run that 5k last week just to see. But now I'm wanting to get back to the program to build up endurance in my legs (the breathing isn't really a problem [yet]). I'm just unsure how to train for the 10K to Half after I do the C25K program.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I am also signing up for the Great North Run. I have my first half marathon in Leeds on May 13th....am quite scared and am nowhere near ready yet, 10 weeks to go and counting!!! Exciting stuff, but scary too! Friend request sent :flowerforyou: