Is the 30DS enough?

Options
I started the 30DS last week. I made a promise to myself that I would do it as a part of Lent. Give up soft drinks, 30DS every day. Now, since I started on Ash Wednesday - that gave me 46 days until Easter. I decided I would do the 30DS on 40 of those days, and have 6 skip days, or one rest day per week.

My question is this. Is doing the 30DS enough? Should I be doing additional cardio/strenghth training?

Replies

• rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Really? No one....?
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30DS last week. It isn't the only thing that I do. I walk (my dogs) everyday. I also do Zumba and play Volleyball. I don't think that moving for only 20 mins a day is enough. If you can incorporate something small with it, even just a walk, that will help.
  • morgandy
    Options
    As soon as I wasn't terribly sore every time did a 30 DS session, I started going back to the gym again to incorporate a little more cardio in. But to each their own! For some, the 20 min seems to be enough (and is certainly, better than nothing!).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Well, you may not be getting many responses because you're not being very specific....is 30DS enough for what? What are you goals? More than just losing weight are you working towards a certain fitness level or do you just want to burn some calories?

My other thought is, for 30 days, just doing that program is enough if you feel like you're being challenged but if it's getting too easy, you may need to mix it up and do a bit more cardio and/or strength. Maybe alter days and do a different video program?

I personally never liked the idea of doing something for 10 days in a row (or even 6 days). Not only would bore the ever-loving crap outta me :tongue: but if I'm sore from doing one thing, I sure don't want to do it again and risk bad form and/or injury.
    That's just my personal opinion though. Plenty of people (see the success stories) have done the program and had great success. Do what works best for you!
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I personally think 30DS is amazing and I slacked off on day 10 or 11. (I'm about to start it again and actually finish it this time) Within 7 days I could see a difference in my arms, back and shoulders. My endurance was much higher than when I started AND I was dropping some weight. I think the DVD is plenty but I do plan to do 45 minutes of walking with it too but that's because I need to lose weight more than I need to tone at this point. Hopefully, that will flip-flop in the future. :) You're on my friends list, we can try to encourage each other!
  • dr3am3r
    dr3am3r Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Right now that is my main focus of exercise...i am only on day 4 of part 1, but already i know that my edurance is up so i am trying to fit more in. Its all up to you and how you feel. It may be enough, but it depends on what your goals are. How much are you trying to lose or are you simply trying to tone?
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I do this exercise with a combination of the elliptical, total gym or other activities, but not all the time. If I am feeling super tired or sore, I will just do 30 DS (because I am determined to finish it this time) and now I have a knee injury from pushing myself too much with too much exercise, so, I am doing just the 30 DS until it is better. When I feel like I can do more, I will add more, but this series has me seeing changes in my body and endurance!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    it can be enough... i did 30ds back in dec and i did it every single day with 30 min of cardio before. i lost no lbs but 1 inch off my waist and 2 off my belly and hips. I am doing it again but not as much cardio. I am doing 30 ds daily on day 3 of level 2and i'm doing cardio about 4 days a week for 30 min. so far i haven't seen any loss, i actually gained 1 lbs so far and no iches... not sure if i really should up my cardio again to every single day doing the dvd or what. I do believe like a p.p. posted... 20 min is better tehn nothing, so if i can get in more cardio, i will but i won't stress if i don't get it in.
  • rataliek
    rataliek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been combining 30DS with C25K and that seems to be working fairly well with a loss of 3 pounds since I've started. I get a great workout with 30DS but my heart rate monitor told me I only burn roughly 190-202 calories for it even though I sweat like a pig and have a heart rate of 175-182 the entire time. I personally aim to burn at least between 400-500 calories per work out day so additional activity was necessary for my personal goals.

I can imagine that you can see results with 30DS all by itself but I doubt additional cardio, at least, would hurt! Even just a 15-30 minute walk!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! I am going to try to take a walk at least 3 times a week, and I am doing the 100 Push Up Challenge in addition to the 30 DS. After doing some research last night - I think this will be enough for me right now. :)