NSV - Food as comfort diverted.

Options
I've just gone through the morning from h*ll and I didn't use food to comfort myself.

I'm having wisdom teeth out tomorrow and today is a crazy, busy day at work.

This morning I received a phone call from the police that my father's van; which I sold as power of attorney was still registered to my father and the buyer had traded it for a boat and the vehicle was being driven around without insurance and still in my father's name.

I had to scramble to get a copy of my P.O.A. which was at my home 40 minutes away and get to the license bureau and register the vehicle as sold since the buyer had not done it.

As I was driving to the license bureau I was thinking of what I was going to pick up to eat in the car on the drive back to work. Muffin, cookies, chocolate, shwarma.... It was a action re-action. The going got tough for me and I thought that some kind of junk food would make me feel better! Ha!

When I finished my due diligence with the van I looked down at the strip of fast food places and told myself "NO WAY" I just handled a stressful situation and I was not going to let this allow me an excuse to eat something that was not healthy. I thought of the nice chicken wrap that I made for my lunch that would get thrown out and wasted.

In the car I reminded myself of the workout schedule I have made, the meals I prepare and the thought that goes into my healthiness and I wasn't going to let this stress screw up my lifestyle. I made it through the weekend making healthy choices I was not going to let this give me an excuse to swayme from my goal.

I was so proud that I did not cave in and buy something sweet to ease the stress. Instead I kept reminding myself how good I feel about what I have accomplished so far and the changes I am seeing and feeling.

I came back to work and sat down and enjoyed my lunch and thought about my workout tonight.

As I'm writing this I am feeling so empowered and motivated by chosing not to make a poor food choice. There is no way that those few minutes of indulging in something sweet would make me feel like this. Actually I would of felt worse for eating it.

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to share how you deal with not chosing food to comfort difficult situations.

Karen

Replies

• vivianahm
    vivianahm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your NSV.
    I also have the tendency to eat something when upset. What I've come up with is, I try to imagine how I would feel if I already ate it, and discover that I don't really feel better and don't need it. It has really worked for me, just stopping for a second and thinking Is it going to be worth it?
  • janesworld
    Options
    Wow. Good job resisting! My weakness is salty, so I would have hunted down the nearest Taco Bell! lol. It feels so good NOT caving in, doesn't it?
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great Job, I struggle so hard when stressed and busy to make the right choices. So I know what an acomplishment today was for you.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    well done. and just think you would have felt so much more awful if you'd broken your meal plan on top of everything else.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on terrific willpower. That's a wonderful NSV!! :flowerforyou:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! !!! Making excuses is easy, we can justify almost anything if we try hard enough. So proud of you that you stood your ground against the easy way.
  • jshorr
    jshorr Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That takes so much strength not to cave and so much courage to share that feeling. I mindlessly eat when I am stressed and I also remind myslef of how far I have come to not give up. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the edge, but mostly I talk myself through it. Good job. Here's to you and making many more GOOD decisions!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.

Mindless eating that is exactly what it turns into.

Karen
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!