Runners - Blister advice please

Options
I started breaking in a new pair of shoes last week. They were the kind of shoe I always wear except they were the newer version. I have never had any issues breaking in new shoes in the past. Wednesday night they were fine for Farklet training. Thursday I did an 8.5km group run. I felt the burning of a rub spot but there was no opportunity to stop for any shoe adjustment. When I finished I had quite a large blister on the arch of my foot that had broken open. Friday it was painful when walking and it oozed plasma. By the end of Saturday it had dried out. Sunday I ran another 8km wearing my old shoes. The blister was again an oozing mess when I finished even though I tried to protect it. I am now in the process of trying to dry it out again.

The problem is I am running a half-marathon Sunday. I had planned on running 6km both Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Any advice? No running this week? How can I protect the area to run the half?

Thanks

Replies

• RyanPerry2012
    RyanPerry2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I ran a half marathon recently and had lots of issues with blisters, but discovered they were actually my socks and not my shoes. What kind/ material of socks are you wearing? I was getting blisters on 8 mi training runs so bad that I couldn't run on them; I tried a pair of Balega cushioned socks and ran my 13 mi a week later completely blister-free. Obviously your mileage may vary (pun intended) and what worked for me may not for you, but I feel it's worth a mention.

Here is a link to them, I am not promoting this product or anything but there are several similar brands out there which may at least alleviate the issue:
    http://www.holabirdsports.com/balega-ultra-cushioned-quarter-socks-men.html
  • mabrywynn
    mabrywynn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    try 2nd skin....or those blister bandaids...they work miracles to cover up the spot and also protect it. You might as well put it on both feet before the half and maybe you should wear your old shoes?

question for you - have you ever had your toe nails fall off from running? I ran a half back in November and my big toes nails are falling off....completely healed underneath. I assume it is from running
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There is a great product found at running stores called GLIDE. You can use it anywhere on your body, including feet. It's about $10
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Thanks

I am wearing double layer socks but will probably try single. I am getting some blister bandaids and have some glide which I will use. I did lose a toenail last May but don't think it is a factor.

What do you think about not running now until the half on Sunday. THis is my third half-marathon.
  • Eliaheart
    Eliaheart Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who recommends the Band-Aid Blister protectors. They're made of silicone and if you put them on making sure your skin is clean and dry, they will stay in place VERY well. They have been life savers for me.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yup NU-Skin is excellent, and for race day you can spray it with the adhive they use before pre-wraping an ankle, works for me
  • gratefulbuddhist
    Options
    Duct tape...the extra sticky kind. Cut a thin gauze patch to cover the blister then a larger patch of duct tape (at least an inch on each side of the gauze) over the thin layer of gauze. I use the duct tape for every long run because I blister on the balls of both feet. Ran a half marathon with duct tape and it worked like a charm :) After the blister heals just use plane duct tape on hot spots to prevent blistering. Let me know how it works for you :)
  • gratefulbuddhist
    Options
    Also, I think your fine to hold off til the half to run again :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Between now and race day I'd treat the affected are with polysporin and keep it covered (+1 on the band-aid product) and on race day gauze pad under the bandaid (Red Green would approve of the duct tape solution but I haven't tried it myself).

If you've followed your training plan this is your taper week, any runs you do this week are not going to build fitness for the race and skipping them probably don't do you any harm, in fact treating the blisters would be my priority.
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of problems with blisters when I first started running, I started putting vaseline all over my feet b4 I go on a long run and seems to do the job- because I rarely get blisters.
  • LMcNeal86
    LMcNeal86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    These have worked for me as well. One thing I learned is to put them on well before you run...they stay better with some time. I have actually put them on the night before and they work better than putting them on right before I put on my socks.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Avon sells a product for blisters too.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    you've already gotten some great advice for dealing with those blisters, so i just wanted to second the thicker socks. :-) i use nike's running socks and they have been great. no more blisters for me!

best of luck on your race!
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I used to work for Outward Bound and blister were a common problem for both participants and staff. Here's what we did:

For non-activity time, choose EITHER dry heal or wet heal. Dry heal is keeping the area clean, dry, and uncovered (e.g. wear flip flops all day). Clean it with Bactine (the spray or liquid) after a shower and let it air dry. Wet heal is keeping it coated with a thin layer of Neosporin and clean bandages constantly. I like Dry Heal better, but if you live in a cold climate it's not really practical for February.

For activity time, pick something to pad, like moleskin or Band-Aid Blister Guards, OR something to reduce friction, like Glide/Bodyglide, etc. AND wear non-cotton socks. Cotton is the devil. Since your blister is on the arch, I wouldn't recommend padding it. I got a nasty blister on my arch too when I started with my new insoles, and Bodyglide + thinner, non-cotton socks did the trick to prevent it from coming back.

Good luck on your half!!
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Many thanks everyone!