What to eat for my cleanse

Options
I am going to do a cleanse and I cannot have any eggs, gluten or processed foods. I need help on what I can eat! Any suggestions? I know fresh fruits and veggies are okay. Can I eat meat? Like chicken, beef, and pork? I love meat! I know I can have canned beans which is good. Can I eat raisins? I know I cannot eat luncheon meat because it is highly processed. Thanks for all your help!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to clean? I like simply green
  • Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to clean? I like simply green

I guess I am trying to cleanse my body of toxins and whatnot. I am going to do it for 21 days. I have no idea what simply green is... like I do not know what you are referring to when you use that term. Can you explain please?
  • drmerc
    Options
    What makes you think your body has toxins and what not?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    He was pulling your leg, simply green is a line of household cleaner.

Specifically what toxins are you trying to "cleanse" your body of? Removing toxins etc from your bloodstream is one of the functions of the liver. These other "cleanse" and "detox" programs (unless you're getting off drugs) are nonsense and a waste of money. There is some evidence to suggest that periodically fasting for a day or two may actually be good for you but as long as you're drinking enough fluids and eating enough fibre you're good to go (no pun intended).
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why..? Exactly?
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    How a Fruit Juice Cleanse Affects Your Body
    Stripped of essential nutrients, detox diets can be downright dangerous

Read more at Women's Health: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/detox-diet-side-effects#ixzz1nbmoSTCT

Thinking of signing up for a fruit juice cleanse? You might first consider how your body reacts to a week with no protein or fat and fewer than 1,000 calories a day.

After the first sip
    Your brain's hunger signals are answered with a dump of pure fruit-juice sugar. And don't get any ideas—veggie-based cleanses aren't any healthier.

The sweet stuff prompts the pancreas to squirt out insulin, which moves sugar—now in your blood in the form of glucose—into your cells.

After 30 minutes
    As your cells suck up the glucose, your blood sugar level can start to plummet and you may feel dizzy.

Meanwhile, lacking enough calories, your body is operating off its supply of glycogen, a form of short-term energy stored in the liver and muscles.

After two days
    With each shot of juice, your insulin levels skyrocket, then crash. Your glycogen stores are pretty much gone, leaving your tank on empty—and you feeling weak and listless.

Since you're getting only about half the calories you need, your body draws on two long-term power sources: triglycerides, a type of energy stored in fat cells (woo-hoo!), and protein, taken straight from your muscles (oops). You begin to lose muscle mass, even if you're still exercising every day.

After three days
    Your brain is not happy. It enters into semi-starvation mode and gobbles ketones, fuel that comes from the breakdown of fat. Ketones work, but they're like low-grade gasoline; as a result, you may feel unfocused or irritable. (Any "mental clarity" is likely due to a strong placebo effect.)

Sans a fresh protein infusion, your brain is also lacking amino acids, the raw materials that neurotransmitters need to maintain your mood. If you're prone to depression, you may start feeling blue.

The proteins in your shrinking muscles break down into ammonia and uric acid, unwelcome chemicals that invade your bloodstream. Now your kidneys are busy detoxing your detox.

Stay near the bathroom: The juice's high carbohydrate load causes a surfeit of water to enter the intestines. That extra H2O in your gut means you're apt to get diarrhea.

After four days
    With no food to digest, your small intestine feels ignored. Its villi—the rows of tiny fibers that move food elements into the blood—start to atrophy. Your diarrhea may get worse, leading to dehydration... and there goes your rosy glow.

On the eighth day
    Solid food! But uh-oh—you've lost muscle. Even if you go back to your regular eating habits, you now have less muscle mass to burn those calories; instead, the calories are more likely to be turned into fat. (Hence, one reason yo-yo dieting makes it harder to lose weight: Your reduced muscle-to-fat ratio messes up your metabolism and makes calories much harder to work off.)

Read more at Women's Health: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/detox-diet-side-effects#ixzz1nbmi8Rji
  • Pooterly
    Options
    He was pulling your leg, simply green is a line of household cleaner.

Specifically what toxins are you trying to "cleanse" your body of? Removing toxins etc from your bloodstream is one of the functions of the liver. These other "cleanse" and "detox" programs (unless you're getting off drugs) are nonsense and a waste of money. There is some evidence to suggest that periodically fasting for a day or two may actually be good for you but as long as you're drinking enough fluids and eating enough fibre you're good to go (no pun intended).

Oh gee! Yeah, I heard of the brand simply green before. I was thinking it might also refer to something else. Bleh! I guess I am trying to eat better but sort of jump starting my system but doing a cleanse if that makes sense. My diet is horrible and I want to eat more natural food and whatnot. I just want to do this for its duration. I hear that it makes people feel so much better! My food diary is viewable (I am not sure if its public to all or friends only though). I should drink more water. I average like 6 cups a day. :/ I do get a lot of fiber though but I am not sure if it is coming from the right source. What I mean is that it is best to get fiber from it's main direct source like vegetables and fruits versus highlyl processed fiber bars, cereal, or even those fiber powder you sprinkle in your drinks and food, lol.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

Read more at Women's Health: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/detox-diet-side-effects#ixzz1nbmoSTCT

^^^ Thank you
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    but sort of jump starting my system
    What do you mean by that? Everyone uses that phrase when talking about cleanses but I don't know what it means.
  • drmerc
    Options
    What do you mean by that? Everyone uses that phrase when talking about cleanses but I don't know what it means.

Its nonsense
  • Pooterly
    Options

Thinking of signing up for a fruit juice cleanse? You might first consider how your body reacts to a week with no protein or fat and fewer than 1,000 calories a day.

After the first sip
    Your brain's hunger signals are answered with a dump of pure fruit-juice sugar. And don't get any ideas—veggie-based cleanses aren't any healthier.

The sweet stuff prompts the pancreas to squirt out insulin, which moves sugar—now in your blood in the form of glucose—into your cells.

After 30 minutes
    As your cells suck up the glucose, your blood sugar level can start to plummet and you may feel dizzy.

Meanwhile, lacking enough calories, your body is operating off its supply of glycogen, a form of short-term energy stored in the liver and muscles.

After two days
    With each shot of juice, your insulin levels skyrocket, then crash. Your glycogen stores are pretty much gone, leaving your tank on empty—and you feeling weak and listless.

Since you're getting only about half the calories you need, your body draws on two long-term power sources: triglycerides, a type of energy stored in fat cells (woo-hoo!), and protein, taken straight from your muscles (oops). You begin to lose muscle mass, even if you're still exercising every day.

After three days
    Your brain is not happy. It enters into semi-starvation mode and gobbles ketones, fuel that comes from the breakdown of fat. Ketones work, but they're like low-grade gasoline; as a result, you may feel unfocused or irritable. (Any "mental clarity" is likely due to a strong placebo effect.)

Sans a fresh protein infusion, your brain is also lacking amino acids, the raw materials that neurotransmitters need to maintain your mood. If you're prone to depression, you may start feeling blue.

The proteins in your shrinking muscles break down into ammonia and uric acid, unwelcome chemicals that invade your bloodstream. Now your kidneys are busy detoxing your detox.

Stay near the bathroom: The juice's high carbohydrate load causes a surfeit of water to enter the intestines. That extra H2O in your gut means you're apt to get diarrhea.

After four days
    With no food to digest, your small intestine feels ignored. Its villi—the rows of tiny fibers that move food elements into the blood—start to atrophy. Your diarrhea may get worse, leading to dehydration... and there goes your rosy glow.

On the eighth day
    Solid food! But uh-oh—you've lost muscle. Even if you go back to your regular eating habits, you now have less muscle mass to burn those calories; instead, the calories are more likely to be turned into fat. (Hence, one reason yo-yo dieting makes it harder to lose weight: Your reduced muscle-to-fat ratio messes up your metabolism and makes calories much harder to work off.)

Read more at Women's Health: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/detox-diet-side-effects#ixzz1nbmi8Rji

That does sound dangerous! However, I will not be juicing anything. I like my food in solid form. I just do not want to eat any gluten, eggs, or processed foods for a certain number of days. After the cleanse, I will go back to eating gluten and eggs but I will dramatically reduce my consumption of highly processed foods because they add stuff in there that your body can do without like all those preservatives and whatnot. It will also help me reduce my sodium intake by cutting out processed foods. Of course, I can't cut them all out bc they I will be depriving my body of so much of the naughty goodness lol *evil laughter* And I plan to get my protein. I can eat canned beans I hear and it has protein. Do you know if I can eat chicken, beef, and pork? Like I can buy it from the meat section of the grocery store and cook it myself? Or are those meats considered "processed"? Or what if I go to a butcher shop? Would that be better or is there no difference? I have no idea.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You probably don't really have any toxins that your body doesn't take care of on a regular basis. Cleanses aren't very good for you anyway. Clean eating is probably better: lean meats, fruits, veggies, water, some carbs, etc.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are silly. Your body "cleanses" itself every single day. Don't waste your time.
  • Pooterly
    Options
    You probably don't really have any toxins that your body doesn't take care of on a regular basis. Cleanses aren't very good for you anyway. Clean eating is probably better: lean meats, fruits, veggies, water, some carbs, etc.

Maybe I was wrong to call it a cleanse because what I am doing is not really a "cleanse" per se but more of clean eating. No gluten, processed foods, or eggs.

So I can have meat?! YES?! :O!
  • drmerc
    Options
    sure eat lots of chicken and lean beef!
    Dont know why you keep saying processed, the only way to get unprocessed meat is to buy a living breathing cow and chicken
  • Pooterly
    Options
    Is anybody reading anything? *blinks*
  • christinac1011
    Options
    Apple cider vinager in water is good to do dairly either way
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Its nonsense
    Nonsense or not, it must have some kind of meaning.
  • kiwichick80
    kiwichick80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Heya.
    Yes you can have meat as long as it's nice and lean (and not cooked in high fat sauces). You need protien, either in this form or something like legumes. I fully understand where you're coming from. It's more a change of habits than a cleanse; more fruit and veges, less ultra-processed rubbish. I need to do the same thing. I think starting with lots of water, heaps of veges and fruit, and minimal things like bread, biscuits etc and you're on the right track.
    Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

That does sound dangerous! However, I will not be juicing anything. I like my food in solid form. I just do not want to eat any gluten, eggs, or processed foods for a certain number of days. After the cleanse, I will go back to eating gluten and eggs but I will dramatically reduce my consumption of highly processed foods because they add stuff in there that your body can do without like all those preservatives and whatnot. It will also help me reduce my sodium intake by cutting out processed foods. Of course, I can't cut them all out bc they I will be depriving my body of so much of the naughty goodness lol *evil laughter* And I plan to get my protein. I can eat canned beans I hear and it has protein. Do you know if I can eat chicken, beef, and pork? Like I can buy it from the meat section of the grocery store and cook it myself? Or are those meats considered "processed"? Or what if I go to a butcher shop? Would that be better or is there no difference? I have no idea.

May I ask why you've decided to go gluten & egg free for a period of time? I know it's become fashionable to go gluten free but unless you suffer from celiac disease or an allergy I've yet to see any convincing, scientific reason to do so.

As to eliminating or reducing processed foods that's probably a good thing to do. Many, while convenient, are higher in fat and sodium than is probably good for you.

If you just want to improve your diet in general reduce your red meat consumption (I love roast beef & steak but have cut way back in the past few years, I'd rather eat a nice 3 or 4 oz filet mignon than a huge t-bone), more chicken & fish (esp oily fish like salmon) more veggies (raw or steamed) and more fresh fruits. Beans are also an excellent source of protein and fibre.

I'm not certain whether buying foods ate a specialty store provide you with higher quality nutrition that your local grocery store and as much as the idea of "organic" food holds a certain appeal I'm not convinced that they're worth the higher price.

Be warned, however, that you may actually feel a bit worse before you feel better. There has been some credible research suggesting that fatty diets are, in many ways, addictive and you may actually suffer fat withdrawal.

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/mar2010/nida-28.htm