Slimfast, Zone, WW??

Options
Hello to everyone, I'm just starting today. Question- any weight loss programs that you've been following that have really worked? I like the plans where you drink shakes and eat meal bars because it takes the guess work out and helps me remain on track.
Any sugestions, what's working and what's not? I've tried weight watchers but for some reasons it just hasn't been successful for me. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Jen

Replies

• Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    old fashioned calorie counting and exercise
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in shakes and bars... You can't live that way the rest of your life. You really need to work out your relationship with food and the whole healthy eating and lifestyle thing... By doing that you will set yourself up for success for the rest of your life...... It is working very well for me..... Good Luck to you.....
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    zone seems to be the healthiest. thats what i'm planning to use to maintain. ww and slimfast didn't work for me - i am just finishing up on alizonne. i've lost 3 stone since oct 3rd - its meal replacements like slimfast but a bit more strict and way more expensive. think its just what works for some may not work for you and also where your heads at. out of the three you mentioned in your title zone def looks the healthiest and alot of diets that are around at the moment seem to have the same principles and science behind them, e.g. paleo, south beach, zone, dukan etc. hope this helps.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting and exercise.

With Slimfast, Zone, Body by Vi and all the other weight loss shake/bar programs out there you are not learning proper portion control and healthy eating. It helps you lose weight because you are restricting your calories that is all. I don't believe they are all that healthy. They are full of artificial stuff, chemicals, etc.

Eating well and within proper calorie amounts is what works. Learning how to make REAL food works. You can't live off shakes adn bars for the rest of your life.
  • jacque8119
    jacque8119 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I personally like WW. The only downside for me is trying to figure out the points. After awhile, it gets annoying having to constantly figure out how many points something is, especially eating out. But afterwhile you kinda get a feel for how many points something is and you adjust your portion sizes accordingly. In the past I have lost 15 pounds on WW. It's def a life style change, just like any diet. It's really all just about "calories in, calories out".
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    WW is great bc you count cals but they use points. I would not recommend anything else. Try doing this, just counting cals and exercising for a while.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You know how you can switch your user interfaces around on your smart phone or computer because all they really are are pretty "front-ends" for the code that's going on behind them to do all the actual work...

That's how all those diets plans are really.

They're just custom user interfaces for calore deficit and exercise.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that if you dont know what you are eating then how are you going to learn how to eat and keep the weight off ? Yes bars and shakes are easy and take the "guess work" out but do you want to rely on bars and shakes forever? I don't mind a protein shake here and a granola bar there. But I like food I always will. I really don't think it does much good UNLESS you want to eat that way forever.

Just food for thought.
  • cassblue21
    Options
    "Eating well and within proper calorie amounts is what works. Learning how to make REAL food works. You can't live off shakes and bars for the rest of your life."

This. I also use T.O.P.S. Which stands for Take Off Pounds Sensibly. It is a weekly meeting with a weigh in which keeps you accountable, but everyone does what works for them instead of like WW (I am not against WW, I had success with them as well but cannot afford them anymore) where it is one specific plan that you adjust for your requirement. T.O.P.S has kept me accountable and I use MFP to help with my calorie control and just eat better. Definitely is a lifestyle choice and not a diet. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. :)
  • mrsbarz
    mrsbarz Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law once went on a meal replacement diet (similar to slimfast) and couldn't work out why she wasn't losing the weight. She said that she was having a shake for breakfast, shake for lunch and a meal for dinner. What she was also doing was having a fried breakfast with her shake, pastie and chips with the shake for lunch and a large dinner. She thought that she would still lose the weight as long as she was drinking her shakes. DUH!:laugh:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not shakes! Meal replacement shakes are OK for short term results. If you want to lose xx pounds by your high school reunion" then go for it. You won't learn anything with meal replacement shakes. So when you want to keep this weight off ..... you still have to learn how to eat properly (unless you want to drink Slimfast for the rest of your life).

If you want lasting weight loss use myfitnesspal. Log your food & exercise. LEARN what "lifestyle" changes you will need to make to maintain your weight loss.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    zone seems to be the healthiest. thats what i'm planning to use to maintain. ww and slimfast didn't work for me - i am just finishing up on alizonne. i've lost 3 stone since oct 3rd - its meal replacements like slimfast but a bit more strict and way more expensive. think its just what works for some may not work for you and also where your heads at. out of the three you mentioned in your title zone def looks the healthiest and alot of diets that are around at the moment seem to have the same principles and science behind them, e.g. paleo, south beach, zone, dukan etc. hope this helps.

3st since last october is good, I started last June and still haven't reached 3st lost! I've just bought some slim fast to try as someone said they had lost 18lbs on it. I have piece of fruit or carrot sticks with mine (under 100cals as it says you can have three 100cal snacks) so I don't feel like I'm not eating and dinner is salad or veg with fish or lean white meat (no batter or breadcrumbs, no processed carbs with dinner).

I work out the snack and dinner cals exactly so often I save some to have a biscuit or slice of toast for supper and don't feel deprived at all.. for me going really low cal works best after my TOTM when the cravings have gone, otherwise it is near impossible to stick to as I'm just craving chocolate and carbs all the time... rest of month I don't usually have much appetite so very easy for me to stick to.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers 9 years ago, kept most of it off but gained some back. Then I bought the book the 17 day diet, did that and lost 14 pounds, then I lost another 6 ish on here.

Everything works if you put your mind to it, but what really helped me was Jillian Michaels. I listen to her podcasts, they are very informative, and I have all her videos, they sure do work. I have surpassed the point of using her videos daily and do weight lifting now. It's all about what works for you.
  • hansenh1
    hansenh1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i did weight watchers for four months and lost almost 30 pounds but 3 years later, i have gained about 10 pounds of that back.... There is no quick fix diet. you have to make it your lifestyle. Make it a habit to write down and log everything you eat. You will be surprised how quickly your calories add up!