Ran my first 5 miles this morning!

Options
speedyf
speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
So this morning was a bad Monday, so I decided to increase my mileage... Running is a great stress reliever for me, and when I don't feel good, I always choose those mornings to increase my mileage or to do interval. My longest run ever was a bit more than 4 miles, and that was last week. Pretty cold outside (-15C), but I didn't care. I had to go out and run, like I always do. So I put my grippers under my shoes, grab my tuque and my gloves, and went out. My pace was perfect, and I wasn't pushing because I wanted to run 5 miles without dying before the finish line, which was my driveway. And I chose a very hilly run this morning to do so, but you know what... I did it! I ran that 5.12 miles!!! And I still had energy to continue!!!

What a great feeling! Actually, I was overwhelmed by a mix of emotions... I started running last October, and ran all winter; I told myself at that time that if I could run outside ALL winter long and stick to it, there's nothing I couldn't do... Took me an hour to cover those 5 miles, but speed is another case...

Now I will work on my speed, and my next goal is 10 miles...

Replies

• lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Excellent! 5 miles is amazing I struggle with 3!! Well done x
  • speedyf
    Options
  • allanofriesen
    Options
    Way cool (literally)! Good work and particularly good motivation!
  • speedyf
    Options
    It was a bit a cold, but some mornings were way colder this winter. :ohwell: And it was sunny, so it was a great run!
  • tennyt1
    tennyt1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! How long did it take you?
  • speedyf
    Options
    One hour and 56 seconds! That's a looooong time, but I'll now be working on my speed. But I do live in a very hilly area, so my run are always hilly run.... So that doesn't really help my time, but I'll stick to that run until I'm satisfied with my time. I have that very bad habit to always go for the hardest... :ohwell:
  • RichWard22
    Options
    Very nice job, keep it up.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great job, keep it up! I'm finally running 4 miles in 45 minutes! Remember, it doesn't matter how slow you run, you're still beating everyone on the couch!:wink:
  • ksuther13
    Options
    I just ran 2 miles for the first time in my life and it felt wonderful. Can't wait to build up my endurance and run 5 miles. Great job!!!
  • bnaile
    bnaile Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey, way to go! What a great feeling. Keep up the great effort.
  • speedyf
    Options
    thankyou-thank-you-thanks-ty-smiley-emoticon-000280-large.gif
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Great job! Adding mileage is never any easy thing, especially when it's cold. Let me guess you are either from or live in Canada? Also what year is the Firebird in your ticker looks like a 67 thru 69 model.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Awesome job! Don't worry about speed for a while. The most important thing is to keep a pace where you are keeping your knees soft to reduce pounding on the legs ... that way you can last longer distances! WTG!
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    High 5 lady...that is great. I hope to be a runner one day. Im going to start training for my first 5k soon and 3miles seems like a lot to me so ur 5miles is fantastic. Kudos and keep up the great work.
  • speedyf
    Options
    @Glasspack
    I live in Quebec, Canada, just North of the Vermont border. I ran many times at -20C... so this morning was just fine.
    And that's my 67 Bird in my ticker... I love that car! Can't wait to take it out!

Thanks everyone! Every mile is a great victory, but 5 miles was my first goal when I started running back in October... so it's a great victory for me!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Awesome job!

I too started running about October. I love it. The other day i ran outside, usually I only run on the treadmill. I could not believe how much harder it was outside than on the treadmill. You can feel every hill. I also had my dog with me and she did pull a bit. Also, i think i have a bit of give on my treadmill over pavement. I could really feel it the next day.
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @Glasspack
    I live in Quebec, Canada, just North of the Vermont border. I ran many times at -20C... so this morning was just fine.
    And that's my 67 Bird in my ticker... I love that car! Can't wait to take it out!

Great car I had a '69 convertible in my youth. Keep logging those miles.
  • speedyf
    Options
    @Glasspack

Great car I had a '69 convertible in my youth. Keep logging those miles.

I definitely will, thanks.

My boyfriend and I bought a 69 hard top last year. Incredible car! Spent all of her life in Hawaï and LA... Original paint! She's a gem, and a keeper! I totally LOVE those cars!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Great job! I have been working on getting back up some distance as my knee has been tender lately, but getting better now. I made my goal distance this morning too (-25C and dark!) We are awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!