new(ish) and looking for support!

Options
Hello!
My name is Christine. I am a 22 year old female starting out 5'5 and 235 lbs. Throughout the years I have been up and down in my weight, and really just have a hard time keeping it off. My lowest was 175 and my highest was 245 lbs.

My biggest issue right now is binge eating. I do really go throughout the day until I get home and eat dinner. It's like my whole mind set changes and I just can't stop myself! I am looking for support and motivation to keep me going so I can slowly shed off the pounds. My short term goal is to be around 190. Once I get myself there I hope to keep up the good work and get myself down to 140- a healthy weight for my height.

I also am having trouble getting myself to the gym! I'm currently in college and I find that I feel really intimidated to go to the gym on campus. I also lack the motivation at times. I'm only going about 2x a week currently.
Edit: I also walk everywhere on campus-carrying a 10-15 lb backpack each day.

If anybody has any tips or tricks to keep myself going, or is in a similar boat I would love to hear from you!

Replies

• snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I am a stay at home Mom and full time college student who hates going to public gyms. I find that I do better when I workout at home, and I am more motivated because no one can see me (except kids and hubby sometimes). I just started Jillian's Body Revolution.

My first tip for you would be to get in more then 2 workouts per week. Even if all you do is put on walking shoes and walk around campus for 30 minutes to an hour at a fast pace. You can do it!
  • acschnabel
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've been running/eating healthy for the past couple of months, but just found MFP about a week ago. I found that I really like the food tracker and it has helped me stay focused and ontrack.

Agree with previous post about the workouts. Walking will be key to that start of your journey. Good luck.
  • tmbaker03
    tmbaker03 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem when it comes to night eating. I do good all day until I get home, and it's not even dinner that does me in. It's the time between I get home and the time I actually figure out what we're having and make dinner. I started doing two things to help during this time. One is to meal plan so it takes the guess work out of what I'll make for dinner. Now I'm not standing in front of the fridge figuring out what to make while I eat the first thing I see. The second is making sure I have a healthy snack ready for that time. I plan my snacks all day except at that time. I know I'll be hungry so I might as well plan for it.

I was also intimidated when I started going to the gym on campus. Two things helped me until I felt more comfortable. One was to make an appointment with a trainer or worker to show me around the gym and the equipment. Once I knew what the equipment was and how to use it, I didn't feel so out of place while I was there, stumbling around trying to figure it out and feeling like an idiot. The other thing I did was sign up for a class. The first time is always the scariest, because you don't know what to expect, but each time after that you feel like you know the routine and people start to look familiar. Every time you walk into the gym you feel less and less like you don't belong there. If all else fails, the other thing I do is bring my ipod with a great play list and ignore everyone else. This is your journey and it's about you, don't let anyone else get in your way.
  • cyuenkel
    cyuenkel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do currently walk around campus every day- I guess I should have added that. and I carry everything I can manage to fit in my backpack-so I usually have a good 10-15 lbs with my everyday! I think my biggest issue is just with food. It's a mixture of binge eating and not knowing what I SHOULD be eating.
  • princesscookiepops
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I am also new and in need of some more friends for motivation on here. Please add me as a friend and anyone else seeking extra support feel free to add me. Thanks .
  • cyuenkel
    Options
    Thank you for that! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who can't control my eating at night. I find it really hard to plan meals in college-especially since we can't always afford to keep food stocked. I think I'll try to make a better habit of planning meals, and making sure I have snacks to eat that I won't feel guilty about.
  • 1rayhamilton
    Options
    I'll add you!
  • ebsthename
    Options
    Hello! Feel free to add me...... I know it can be hard to do it in college because of various things. But if you do eat in the cafe, make wiser decisions of what you eat. Also try to eat your heaviest meal in the middle of the day. Portion control is going to be key as well. When you go to the gym, realize you are doing this for yourself and no one else..... After awhile you will notice the weight just dropping off.... Be motivated, determined, and consistent. You won't have anything to worry about.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    You can add me. I'm willing to give any support or help you may need in this journey.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
  • adleheid
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. When I leave work I'm feeling all proud of myself because I've done so well all day. But then.... I go home and want to snack even while I'm MAKING dinner! I think maybe I should eat more during the day (not more volume, but maybe go lighter for breakfast and lunch so I can afford a few snacks in between.) Would that help?

I have a fear of going to the gym. I have the mindset that I'm too fat to go, and I'd be embarrassed. (Not sure why I think I'm so important that everyone would be looking at ME). I keep saying once I lose a little bit, I'll start. But if I don't work out, how am I going to even lose that first little bit?
  • cyuenkel
    Options
    the first time I lost weight I did it by just eating well and keeping myself busy with activites-so in reality, I was exercising, it just didn't feel like it. but I eventually hit a wall and I wasn't able to lose any more weight without really working out-but I think it's possible to lose some weight just by eating healthy. and then once you are ready for the gym- you could incorporate that.
  • jacque8119
    jacque8119 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new too and have some of the same issues. I tend to eat the most at night. Especially if rice or mashed potatoes are involved. :-)
    However I find that if I buy brown rice instead of white rice, I eat less. I like brown rice but it's not the same as white rice and I don't feel the need to eat as much. I also love to eat chips and dip or chips and salsa. I can easily eat a ton of queso dip so I have to be SUPER careful. I suppose it's better to eat the salsa if Im going to have some chips.
  • jodieoh
    jodieoh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've found that a combination of using MFP (planning meals in advance and knowing exactly how much I can eat), and keeping myself busy in the evenings has helped me rein in my snacking. I get dinner going as soon as I get home from work, eat, tidy up, and then go and do something like play my flute or a bit of German study. Obviously both of those serve as procrastination regarding housework as well :-)

All the best

Jo
  • cyuenkel
    Options
    I know this sounds like a weird solution to the chip problem (which I also have) but try making your own chips. That way- you can only make 10 or 12 chips-and that's all you can eat. Plus, I find they taste way better and you can make them however you choose! I usually just put some lime juice and a little salt. My main addiction is bread. I haven't really found a solution to that yet.
  • nantus
    Options
    It is a lot easier if you can find a friend who has the same desires as you about working out that you can go to the gym with. I have such a hard time getting there on my own, but once I met a friend (at the gym) we always workout together and push eachother. Some days I don't want to go or she doesn't want to, but we do just cuz we know the other is there. Join a class at the gym they might have and that's how I met lots of friends and we are like a little family now. Good luck!!!! Nicole
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I like to plan my meals ahead of time
    I find it keeps me in control of what I'm going to eat during the day
    and I try to keep my portions small and about 2-3 hours apart
    I'm less likey to binge knowing I have a meal coming up
    and what that meal is gonna be :)