is it bad that i have reached my protein limit already?

Options
I am trying to do what is asked of me with fitness pal but already i have reached my limit on protein for the day. I am still going to go home and work out so i am going to get more protein. But i am just wondering is that bad for me? I was always told the carbs are the bad ones and i am not even half my carb allowed for the day but i reached my protein limit. should i be worried?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    No. It's not a limit. You need to get at least as much protein as MFP recommends.

And no, carbs aren't bad for you either.
  • pea2pod
    Options
    I never feel bad about going over on protein. Proteins are fat burners so the more the merrier, I say!
  • mrnice1058
    mrnice1058 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ok kool because i was going to say my dinner tonight is going to have another 28g of protein. its going to be hard for me to put in all of these calories. i guess after my work out have another protein shake but i still dont think i am going to get to my calories allotted for me
  • rawheeler38
    Options
    I seem to always go over the protein-So I hope that is Okay, I was always told if you are going to go over--be sure it is only the protein.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    the protein limit on MFP is only 15% of total calories, for those that workout that is quite low. Either use MFPs protein as a minimum, or change your protein goal. To change the goal go to goals> change goals> custom.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Real Quick , the protein MFP gives you is very low, depending on your goals you can aim for 1g per lb of your goal weight a day, and carbs are not bad, complex carb are the 'good' ones, simple carbs are the less healthy ones. complex carbs are things like veggies, sweet potatos etc.. they are your main energy sources so they are needed for excersize
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    No way, eat your protein. You can and should go over. It will only help you!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go over on the protein, even with protein shakes and a carb free dinner I'm still under.
  • clintbritt3
    Options
    Protein is whats helping me stay full and satisfied through the day, I ALWAYS go over it and I'm loosing weight, plus it's helping me build muscle.... win win :)
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    you're not over on protein... MFP just has your protein goal set waaay too low.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I constantly go over on protein. That's actually a number I try to go over on. I try to keep everything else (except fiber) under...
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    My protein goal is 30%, which is 116 grams after my workout today. :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I treat the protein and fiber limit on MFP as a minimum
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I, too, am always over in protein! Glad to read that it's not necessarily a bad thing to go over in that area! I love the forums... :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    mfp's protein recommendation is a joke.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've been told many times on mfp and from other really healthy people that going over on protein is rarely a problem.
  • sassynsweet2014
    sassynsweet2014 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have that issue too! I'm over on my protein a lot, it's the little red number that freaked me out at first, but protein helps to build muscle so I figure it's really not that bad to go over. I know if you go to goals and pick custom settings you can change the % of carbs/protein/fat and up the protein so that pesky red number doesn't always show up :)
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my protein goal upward. In addition to cardio I lift 5-6 days per week. I try to target around 1 gram of protein for every pound of my body weight. I see quite a few guys who consume even more, but I'm working on cutting weight right now. Ultimately it's your call, but I'd say you're fine exceeding your protein allotment if you're still hitting your calorie goal. Just my two cents.

To make adjustments to the goals from the MFP website, click "goals" under the "My Home" tab, then click "change goals". Next select "custom" and click "continue". From there you can adjust your macronutrient (carbs, protein, fat) goals.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do what is asked of me with fitness pal but already i have reached my limit on protein for the day. I am still going to go home and work out so i am going to get more protein. But i am just wondering is that bad for me? I was always told the carbs are the bad ones and i am not even half my carb allowed for the day but i reached my protein limit. should i be worried?

How many grams of protein can you have daily? The amount on MFP is typically low . I eat about 100 grams of protein daily.
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    you can certainly set your own protein goals, yours is actually pretty low! i've read you can eat your body weight in protein grams.