newbie!!! trying to get fit

Options
hey anyone got me some exercise tips for me... doing running, hula hooping and ab work outs... need some ideas so i dont get bored with ab workouts

Replies

• MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Have you tried youtube? There a few websites too. Do you have a BOSU? They give an excellent workout. Zumba DVDs from your local library and Jillan Michael's 30 day Shred is popular on MFP.
  • 8Spokes
    Options
    Stick with it and make sure you practice good form for everything.

Tony Horton (P90X) has these 10 minute trainer videos for abs and they're pretty good. Insanity also has some killer ab moves and I am never bored with either. Both can be modified for begginer, intermediate and advanced fitness levels. Also, bodybuilding. com has a ton of workout routines- again, all can be modified for your fitness level. =o)
  • TieshTheGreat
    TieshTheGreat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would most definitely recommend Zumba!! That is what actually kick started my new diet and exercise plan. I hadn't been to the gym in 2 years. A friend of mine dragged me to a Zumba class with her (I lost a bet!) and I have been hooked ever since!

When I get tired of my usual workouts...I do my "Beyonce workout" Which is me dancing to Beyonce's uptempo songs in the mirror. I literally put on a concert for myself. Sounds corny, I know, but I figure...her body looks the way it does for a reason right? haha
  • dlambert11
    dlambert11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with the youtube idea! Check out walmart for some cheap workout DVDs or even the library. I personally am a HUGE Chalene Johnson fan. I am currently just finishing week 6 of ChaLEAN Extreme and after I complete it will be doing Turbo Fire. I love the workouts because they are changing constantly so I never ever get bored! And Chalene is so so motivating! Good luck!
  • stefbrowne07
    stefbrowne07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am just starting my journey to a healthier lifestyle. I am going to be doing Zumba a couple times a week. I've also had (and they sound funny) Brazil Butt Lift and Yoga Booty Ballet recommended to me. Both programs are supposed to have pretty decent ab workouts.
  • EmDrake13
    EmDrake13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

When I get tired of my usual workouts...I do my "Beyonce workout" Which is me dancing to Beyonce's uptempo songs in the mirror. I literally put on a concert for myself. Sounds corny, I know, but I figure...her body looks the way it does for a reason right? haha

That's brilliant! Seriously!
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people doing zumba and p90x. Give those a try.
  • Thejed468
    Options
    Just started into my second day so far l am very impressed with how this works, l find that when l put something in my mouth besides my (foot) l look forward to logging it
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    unless you're fairly trim to begin with, focusing on "standard" ab exercises isn't going to do a whole lot for you. you're much better off doing compound exercises that have a wider range of motion and burn more fat. you see...despite what the infomercials lead you to believe...you can't spot reduce. you can only make a choice to go on a healthy lifestyle journey and make healthy decisions along the way. with time and persistence, you can achieve great things.

as for a great, relatively short workout (free too)...go check out bodyrock.tv. they have a whole library of workouts ... and new ones are posted often (daily at times). if you watch the video, they always include modifications for beginners
  • kiwilovesdave
    Options
    thanks for all the tips... i tried zumba for the wii to get a taste and there is no waaaaaaaayy!!! im going to a class... i was so bad lmao!! ive heard of the insanity one ill look that up... that beyonce workout sounds fun lol :)