Chocolate Milk For Runners

Options
I signed up for a Couch to 5K. This was the first weekend for it and one of the first things the trainer told us was to drink 8 oz skim chocolate milk to recover from your run. I am on a low carb eating plan (30 net carbs a day). Skim chocolate milk contains 26 net carbs! I'm thinking I could do this for race day- or as I get closer, as my running sessions get longer- but right now I'm only running 1 minute, walking 90 seconds. I'm only burning about 325 calories in a 25 minute session- I'm for sure not burning off all that sugar.

If you are an experienced runner can you please weigh in on this- in particular- I need to continue weight loss. I'm 11lbs away from my goal- so with that in mind- how do I incorporate this into my diet- or do I select something different and save it for longer, more strenuous runs?

Thank you

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a Couch to 5K. This was the first weekend for it and one of the first things the trainer told us was to drink 8 oz skim chocolate milk to recover from your run. I am on a low carb eating plan (30 net carbs a day). Skim chocolate milk contains 26 net carbs! I'm thinking I could do this for race day- or as I get closer, as my running sessions get longer- but right now I'm only running 1 minute, walking 90 seconds. I'm only burning about 325 calories in a 25 minute session- I'm for sure not burning off all that sugar.

If you are an experienced runner can you please weigh in on this- in particular- I need to continue weight loss. I'm 11lbs away from my goal- so with that in mind- how do I incorporate this into my diet- or do I select something different and save it for longer, more strenuous runs?

Thank you

I don't see how you're burning 325 cals in 25 minutes. I'm 185 pounds and I burn about 147 cals/mile. When you look at net calorie burn, I'm only burning about 100 cals/mile.

I bring that up because dieting is very error prone and I'd hate to see you gain weight for something this simple. The rule of thumb for running is miles x weight in pounds x .76 = calories burned. That's for running at speeds > 5 MPH. For walking it's lower and the net calories burned is about 0.5 instead of 0.76.

Insofar as drinking chocolate milk, it's a good recovery drink for runners but my thinking is that you're more of a "runner in the making" so I'd continue with weight loss and start using chocolate milk when you switch over to running rather than run/walking.

I'm pretty conservative on this. One reason is 'cause I'm cheap and I did far more exercise in the Army on much worse food than I have now and I had no problems with diet or fitness. The other factor that influences me is that we tend to confuse what's "nice to have" (that's how I ended up at 295) with what our bodies need ( (that's how I ended up at 185).

<feeling a little curmudgeonly this morning>
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm chocolate muscle milk ... id run for some
  • annieheavrin
    Options
    I'm not a HUGE marathon runner but I do run at least 4 miles everyday. I NEVER drink chocolate milk after a run...never have. I'm still alive, kickin & able to run just fine everyday. :) Not sure if this answers your question, but this is just what I do and it seems to work.
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that and I've been running since HS. Not to say that it is wrong by any means but just interesting to hear.

I would suggest do what your body likes. After my runs I've had anything from gatorade/powerade 0 or just water. I agree with the other comment - there is a difference between what your body needs and what your body wants. To me, I think there are healthier options out there than chocolate milk...not to mention, I couldn't imagine being able to drink milk after running.
  • MrsAmySchoener
    Options
    I don't run, but I am doing P90X and I have to say the best recovery drink EVER is Chocolate milk with skim milk. I'm not nearly as sore and its a nice "Good Job" drink! And I'm losing weight.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm an experienced runner, but not a nutritionist .... so keep that in mind.

I agree with drinking chocolate milk after a long run. However, with the state you're at in your running now, I think you would be fine without drinking chocolate milk. I do try and drink some after a long run of 10+ miles. Yet, I did a half marathon yesterday and didn't drink any. I'm still alive! :wink: I did get protein in my system pretty quickly after the event which is what really matters - IMO.
  • MandieMarieF
    MandieMarieF Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I only have some sort of recovery drink for a run that's over 6 miles. I've ran races all the way up to marathon distance and there's no need for it. There are a lot of forums about recovery and running on runnersworld.com as well! Happy training :-)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is supposed to be a great way to get the good fats and protein you need to recover from a run as well as calcium, which is so important to keeping your bones in top shape for the pounding they take from running.
    It's also important to get it in within 30 minutes of the end of your workout.
    I would say just be conservative on the calories burned and make whatever you drink - chocolate milk, Boost, Muscle Milk, etc. doesn't blow up your calorie intake for the day.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I don't see how you're burning 325 cals in 25 minutes. I'm 185 pounds and I burn about 147 cals/mile. When you look at net calorie burn, I'm only burning about 100 cals/mile.

I bring that up because dieting is very error prone and I'd hate to see you gain weight for something this simple. The rule of thumb for running is miles x weight in pounds x .76 = calories burned. That's for running at speeds > 5 MPH. For walking it's lower and the net calories burned is about 0.5 instead of 0.76.

Insofar as drinking chocolate milk, it's a good recovery drink for runners but my thinking is that you're more of a "runner in the making" so I'd continue with weight loss and start using chocolate milk when you switch over to running rather than run/walking.

I'm pretty conservative on this. One reason is 'cause I'm cheap and I did far more exercise in the Army on much worse food than I have now and I had no problems with diet or fitness. The other factor that influences me is that we tend to confuse what's "nice to have" (that's how I ended up at 295) with what our bodies need ( (that's how I ended up at 185).

<feeling a little curmudgeonly this morning>

^^ I think this is good advice ^^

I regularly run 6 miles and on a weekend I've been recently running around 13 mile training runs. Before a 13 mile run I might eat a small banana, and take some jelly babies or runners gel out with me for the 10 mile mark but other than that I eat normally. I've never specifically had chocolate milk for recovery.

So, training for 5k I'd say stick to your normal eating plan without adding any special foods in. Whether you eat your exercise cals or not is up to you and where you are on your weight loss journey.

Best wishes
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing the C25K, i'm on week 5, and all i have ever had after a session is water!!! And i'm doing just fine!!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    ditto to what a few others have said. Chocolate Milk is the time-tested recovery drink for runners, but there is a difference between cranking out hard, abusive miles on the body, and easing into it. I'd say skip it for now. When you get up to 10 miles of non-stop running, then you may incorporate a recovery drink (or if you start doing intervals). At that point, you won't be concerned about a few measly calories since the run itself will but over 1000. Good luck!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running, too. What about 1/2 cup of a low % yogurt with a tsp. Of cocoa and a drizzle of not-overly-processed honey (which has a lot of healthy properties to it)? That way you're also getting healthy flora into your intestinal tract, and you decide how much cocoa and honey you're consuming. Then drink water to rehydrate.
    Just a thought. I make "chocolate yogurt" as a treat for myself and the kids sometimes.
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is a great way to get the fat and protein you need to recover from a run. You need to get It within 30 minutes of the end of your workout. I have founf my recovery from my long runs (10 miles or more) is faster if I drink Chocolate milk. But I only use water if I run 5 or less miles, I just use a sports drink for anything else.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think the rationale is because milk is a good source of protein, which helps keep/build muscle. If you're doing a lot of cardio on a caloric deficit and not doing strength training, then you're losing muscle as well as fat. I've also heard it specified as chocolate milk, but I'm not sure about what makes chocolate milk different from white when it comes to nutrients (other than the extra energy spike from the added sugar).

If you're worried about the carbs in milk, but want to follow the trainer's advice, then check out lactose free milk, or one of the non-dairy milks, just try to match the protein. Keep in mind, too, that not all sugar is created equal ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3329123 ), not all carbs are created equal, and that nutrition labels don't distinguish between the different types. The carbs in plain milk come from the lactose (milk sugar), which has different effects on the body than the carbs from the stereotypical carb sources (bread, pasta, etc).
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You don't need a recovery drink until you are running for longer periods of time. I usually only use chocolate milk on runs that are really intense (long distance or high intensity). C25K is not really all that intense in the beginning. Chocolate milk is the right balance of carbs and protein to aid in recovery. I love it, but I don't think you need it yet.
  • mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to "recover" from a 5k, honestly.
  • jodee_donavan
    jodee_donavan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I also put this question to my father who is a Physician Assistant- and in the meantime I had gone to the store and got some unsweetened almond milk and did 8 oz of that and only 1/2 serving of nestle quick- total carbs 4.5- I could tell instantly that the sugar pushed up my insuline levels- I'm pretty in tune with my body- and felt I should have eaten something with it. I was also way below my calories for the day as a result of changing my eating-- so with that said I'm probably going to drink the Almond milk if I feel like I need to- to save the carbs- and maybe treat myself on race day. I agree- I don't think I'm physically needing it right now!