is it bad that i have reached my protein limit already?

Options

Replies

• mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Real Quick , the protein MFP gives you is very low, depending on your goals you can aim for 1g per lb of your goal weight a day, and carbs are not bad, complex carb are the 'good' ones, simple carbs are the less healthy ones. complex carbs are things like veggies, sweet potatos etc.. they are your main energy sources so they are needed for excersize

Just curious, where do you get this calculation of 1 gram of protein per pound of goal weight? That would be 125 grams a day for me. That's 41% of 1200 kcal's. All the scientific literature that I have read states .8 - 1.0 grams per KILOGRAM of body weight per day. That is a big difference.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, since nobody else mentioned it, I'll say this. If you have any kind of kidney disease, then yes, it could be bad to exceed your protein recommendation. Otherwise, it's generally not an issue, unless you get into insanely high amounts that interfere with getting proper nutrition from the rest of your macros.
  • mangozulu
    Options
    I have that issue too! I'm over on my protein a lot, it's the little red number that freaked me out at first, but protein helps to build muscle so I figure it's really not that bad to go over. I know if you go to goals and pick custom settings you can change the % of carbs/protein/fat and up the protein so that pesky red number doesn't always show up :)

Protein doesn't build muscle. Exercise does:)
  • mangozulu
    Options
    Well, since nobody else mentioned it, I'll say this. If you have any kind of kidney disease, then yes, it could be bad to exceed your protein recommendation. Otherwise, it's generally not an issue, unless you get into insanely high amounts that interfere with getting proper nutrition from the rest of your macros.

Nicely put:happy:
  • tigersword
    Options
    Real Quick , the protein MFP gives you is very low, depending on your goals you can aim for 1g per lb of your goal weight a day, and carbs are not bad, complex carb are the 'good' ones, simple carbs are the less healthy ones. complex carbs are things like veggies, sweet potatos etc.. they are your main energy sources so they are needed for excersize

Just curious, where do you get this calculation of 1 gram of protein per pound of goal weight? That would be 125 grams a day for me. That's 41% of 1200 kcal's. All the scientific literature that I have read states .8 - 1.0 grams per KILOGRAM of body weight per day. That is a big difference.
    1 gram per goal weight is actually a body building method, for people eating at maintenance or calorie surplus. Protein should max out at around 30% of your total calories, I personally usually shoot for 20-25%.
  • mangozulu
    Options

1 gram per goal weight is actually a body building method, for people eating at maintenance or calorie surplus. Protein should max out at around 30% of your total calories, I personally usually shoot for 20-25%.

Thanks for that. Bodybuilding... cutting or building phase?
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Thanks for that. Bodybuilding... cutting or building phase?
    both actually.
    on cutting to not lose lean body mass.
    on bulking to build.
    the only diff between the two is the amount of calories consumed. you still lift heavy and basically eat the same things.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    I have that issue too! I'm over on my protein a lot, it's the little red number that freaked me out at first, but protein helps to build muscle so I figure it's really not that bad to go over. I know if you go to goals and pick custom settings you can change the % of carbs/protein/fat and up the protein so that pesky red number doesn't always show up :)

technically, exercise destroys muscle.
    your body rebuilds it.... but only if it has the correct raw material to do so.... such as fats and amino acids(aka protein)..
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We are uncommonly and unnecessarily obsessed with protein.

The truth is, science has show that even someone in serious training can only assimilate so much protein. A bit of meat about the size of a deck of playing cards. Eating too much is not of benefit. Your body doesn't use it. It just has to be eliminated. It taxes our system constantly working to get the excess out of our bodies.

That's why the low carb/high protein thing works. All that excess protein is not stored. It's flushed. Literally. It's hard on your body and may put you in a toxic state.
  • tigersword
    Options

The truth is, science has show that even someone in serious training can only assimilate so much protein. A bit of meat about the size of a deck of playing cards. Eating too much is not of benefit. Your body doesn't use it. It just has to be eliminated. It taxes our system constantly working to get the excess out of our bodies.

That's why the low carb/high protein thing works. All that excess protein is not stored. It's flushed. Literally. It's hard on your body and may put you in a toxic state.

Not true. Well, the obsessed part is true, the flushing part is not. The human body uses a metabolic function called gluconeogenesis to convert protein into glucose, and then burn the glucose for energy, or store it as fat if in a state of calorie surplus.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

The being able to absorb a certain amount in any meal is myth, that being said a balanced diet consists of 10-30% protein with people who exercise they should be on the higher end of that scale. While in a caloric deficit it is even more important as 15% of a smaller caloric intake may only be 10% of your maintenance calories from protein, and if you don't get enough protein while dieting you risk losing lean muscle. I aim for 20-25% while in maintenance but 25-30% while cutting, this way my protein intake stays about the same in grams and I ensure I don't lose much lean muscle.
  • MrDude_1
    Options

Not true. Well, the obsessed part is true, the flushing part is not. The human body uses a metabolic function called gluconeogenesis to convert protein into glucose, and then burn the glucose for energy, or store it as fat if in a state of calorie surplus.

damn, you beat me to it. 100% right.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I read that you should be eating 1 g of protein, per kg of body weight.

And I must admit it seems to stop cravings and keep me on track :smile:
  • PHDbyEB
    Options
    Not necessarily bad. I customized my goals to suit my needs instead of doing the generic formula (btw, generic isn't bad, it's just generic). If you're an athlete (I am), then you have different protein and carb needs on training days. I personally strive to consume between 90-120 grams daily, and that's WAYYYYYY over what they said I should eat. Do a little research and see what best suits you. If you (or anyone else) needs help, you can go to my business page on Facebook and post a comment or question and I'll help you out: www.Facebook.com/PHDbyEverlea. Customizing diet and exercise plans is part of what I do for a living. I'll give you a free tip or two.
  • PHDbyEB
    Options
    In response to protein comment (about eating too much): I agree, the body can only break down so much of anything, ESPECIALLY when it's of animal origin. I'm a Vegan, so my protein sources are much more gentle on my body and much easier to break down, which is why I can consume such large quantities without the strain on my body and its precious organs :)

Great, soy-free protein alternatives are: Hemp protein, brown rice protein, lentils, beans, and quinoa :smile:

Happy Eating!
    www.facebook.com/PHDbyEverlea
  • mangozulu
    Options

your body rebuilds it.... but only if it has the correct raw material to do so.... such as fats and amino acids(aka protein)..

If my statement was an understatement - yours is an overstatement:wink: Muscles are slightly damaged during exercise (hardly destroyed, although it may feel like it sometimes) and so many more factors are involved in their repair than just protein (including glucose) that I wonder why protein gets all of the attention? I agree with the comment about us being protein obsessed in this society.
  • MrDude_1
    Options

If my statement was an understatement - yours is an overstatement:wink: Muscles are slightly damaged during exercise (hardly destroyed, although it may feel like it sometimes) and so many more factors are involved in their repair than just protein (including glucose) that I wonder why protein gets all of the attention? I agree with the comment about us being protein obsessed in this society.
    would it be better if i said "slightly destroys" ? lol.. same thing.
    in anycase protein gets all the attention because its the only thing the body can not pull out of a "store" as needed.
    lyle mcdonald has some excellent articles if you're interested.. just google the name and his site is on top.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    AS much as I try to stay within my limit, I more often than not go over on my protein. I don't feel bad, as long as my carbs/fat intake is below my daily limit. This also depends on what your do (you said you have yet to go home and work out), in that case its not sooo bad. It also matters how your protein comes in, either meats or legumes/soy. Try to get more protein from things like beans, edamame, quinoa, etc. For me, I find that protein from meats, if I have too much, gives me a bit of discomfort.

Good luck!
  • mangozulu
    Options

would it be better if i said "slightly destroys" ? lol.. same thing.
    in anycase protein gets all the attention because its the only thing the body can not pull out of a "store" as needed.
    lyle mcdonald has some excellent articles if you're interested.. just google the name and his site is on top.

Thanks I'll Google Lyle Macdonald
  • mrnice1058
    mrnice1058 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    wow i didnt think it was going to turn into this..lol some really good info here and thank you for the tips! yesterday i worked out and took my protein shake and i was only over 7 grams of protein. i seem to always keep my carbs very low and i seem to take in about half of what my allowed fats for the day. so from what i am reading by going over on the proteins is not a bad thing. as for eating one gram of protein for body weight man i have no idea how i would pull that off!..lol but thanks again everyone for the tips i will keep them in mind!