Urghhh wisdom teeth

Options
Shellyyy7928
Shellyyy7928 Posts: 78 Member
I got all four of my wisdom teeth removed today. I'm sad because I can't truly stay with a nutrients diet for a couple days and the meds I'm on will prevent me from safely working out.

Good news my mothers really helping me with my 1 year old and I get a whole lot of me time and rest :)

Anyone else have wisdom teeth taken out? How was your recovery time? (though I know for everyone it is different)

Replies

• SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Maybe I'm a big p*ssy, but I was sick for two weeks after. I mean I couldn't eat anything but wonderful pain killers and nutrient shakes. I think the doc messed up something during the procedure ha ha.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    mines are just coming in...im afraid to even get em taken out
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just got mine removed mid January. I could eat normal for the most part after about ten days. Veggies were out of the question, though. My face actually still hurts, but the holes are healed up and the stitches gone.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I only had one wisdom tooth, so maybe I should just shut the hell up :laugh: but I was back to chewing after about a week. I lived on spaghetti for most of the first week.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I need to get mine taken out and I'm terrified.

I had a bunch of teach removed when i was a kid and still am missing 6 permanent teeth because my mouth is too small - Never had an issue with getting teach extracted until I had a cavity in January and was able to feel them drill. Now I'm terrified of being able to feel it when they go to pull it (which sadly happened to my sister)

I know that had absolutely nothing to do with what you asked, but I hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I have a consultation in 2 weeks to get mine out. They're horrible!
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It took about a week for me to be able to really chew food again. My jaw hurt for about 3 weeks, but mine were impacted and difficult to remove.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 of mine cut out

Make sure and keep them clean or they could become infected... I had to go and get mine cleaned out at the oral surgeon. I would recommend getting a syringe you could put some listerine or just salt water in to clean out the sockets.

I couldn't move my jaw which seemed like forever! It was nice to be able to really chew again.

Don't drink through a straw for a while either!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I was doing fine until I took the pain meds (codeine) they prescribed me. Then I puked. After 2 doses I just stuck with an extra strength tylenol.

Now on every medical form I fill out I just say I have an allergy to codeine.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    My advice, get em all out at once! I had mine taken out years ago and I had one impacted and I still had a pretty easy recovery. Soft and mushy foods for a day or 2 then regular food after that, you just need to use care with chewing until the extraction sites heal. And heed all the Dentists post op instructions because dry socket is not a myth (Post op infection of the tooth socket) and that's usually why people have such a terrible recovery time. No straws, smoking no suction of any kind for a week or 2. everyone's different though, so good luck to you
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 33. Never wait until you are older. I thought I was going to die. I lived off of Carnation Instant Breakfast for 2 weeks. I did lose 15 pounds but was so miserable. I guess the older you get the harder it is on your body.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I was doing fine until I took the pain meds (codeine) they prescribed me. Then I puked. After 2 doses I just stuck with an extra strength tylenol.

Now on every medical form I fill out I just say I have an allergy to codeine.

You shouldn't tell a medical professional that you have an allegy when you don't. Tell them you have a sensitivity-which is what it actually is-and that you would prefer a medication that doesn't contain codeine. they can't force you to take something you don't want to take anyway
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    The first couple of days were the worst for me. I had all four of mine out on December 27th, and I was feeling pretty good by New Year's. I popped one of my stitches out the second day (by accident, I sneezed I really hard) and it hurt really badly. By the fourth day, my face had swelled up like crazy and I had some bruising.

Eating/drinking cold things was very soothing, as was putting ice on my face. Try not to bend over for a couple of days, too; the blood will rush to your face, and it will probably throb pretty badly. The holes from where my teeth were are really small now, but food still gets stuck in them from time to time, which is pretty annoying. Anyway, feel better soon! :)
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I only had my two top wisdom teeth and i had to get them took out a couple of months ago. The first few days were a nightmare, im hoping I don't get the bottom ones.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    My dentist is talking about me having my wisdom teeth out. But as I'm a freak & have 8 of them, yup thats right I have double the number of wisdom teeth, I keep putting him off.
    I'm 48 & have never had a tooth out yet, so I'm losing sleep over this.:cry:
  • alorick
    alorick Posts: 194
    Options
    I had mine out the middle of January. 3 had to be cut out and one was just pulled since it was all the way through. I couldn't eat anything other than ice cream, pudding, soup, or jello for the first week. My sockets are almost all the way closed up, but I still use a syringe to rinse them out every night.

It sucks for the first week or two, but it gets better. It's sure as hell better than being in pain every day!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 of mine taken out when I was 17 or 18. I went to an oral surgeon so they could knock me out for the procedure, I was completely freaked out by it. I mostly slept for a couple of days, my mom would wake me up to give me my pills or food LOL. I had it done on a Friday and was back to work on Monday, a little swollen and sore but otherwise okay.
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I did everything by the book for recovery and I still wound up with dry socket in both bottom ones. The lady said it was the worst case of dry socket she had seen in years and that she didn't know how I was dealing with the pain... (I'm TERRIFIED of teeth and the dentist so I was literally on the floor rocking and bawling until my stepdad picked me up and took me to get them packed).

It took me about a month before I could eat normal food.

Want to see something hilarious?!

wisdom.jpg
    I showed my friends this photo and they thought I was making a pouty face... NOPE! That was just from the swelling! Haha. Don't worry, my face is back to normal now!

I wish you a speedy recovery! I cashed in on the frosty... but if you want to stay on track lots of fruit smoothies and soups blended up!