Vegetarian Suggestions

Options
Hi! I am trying to lose 30 pounds but I am in a serious food rut. I barely eat meat (only chicken, turkey and fish), have no idea what kinds of filling but healthy meals I can make besides cheese and crackers (only partially kidding about that). Are there any vegetarians on here that are willing to share their food diaries with me so that I can be inspired with some new options?

Replies

• TamaBunny
    TamaBunny Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a vegetarian, feel free to add me for ideas if you like =)

I don't have too much that's different from my meat-eating boyfriend and his family, I just have a meat alternative.

I am a prolific chocoholic though, so you can skip over my snacks *hides*
  • briannw
    briannw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like Shirataki Noodles, meatless (or Turkey) meatballs and low sodium pasta sauce. You can also substitute spaghetti squash as the noodle.

Looking for new food ideas as well
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There are vegetarian recipe collections at Eatingwell.com

Also, some good recipes on Vegetariantimes.com
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian. Feel free to look at my diary..

Typical day for me looks like eggs & wheat bread for breakfast, brown rice or wheat pasta for lunch, wheat chapati or brown rice with side vegetable & greek yogurt for dinner. Snacks include apple or banana with PB, nuts, avocado, string cheese, etc. I've found with eating whole grains not only do I get more protein in my diet, my sugar cravings are gone. I could go days without eating a cookie or candy or chocolate. Now if I could get my salt under control that would be perfect!!
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A grilled portobello mushroom makes an excellent meat substitute. There are ready made packaged things. Even your average supermarket carries Quorn products these days. And Morning Star. Quinoa is a small grain. Very good. I'm fond of adding nuts.
  • gnbeard
    Options
    I eat black bean and ranch style bean salad everyday, (romaine lettuce) with with new york style chili lime strips and light ranch on top, its only about 260 calories a meal and its super filling, sometimes I put it on a wheat tortilla if I'm really hungry.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Quorn Chik'n Tenders stir fry, with a vegetable egg roll and brown rice.
    Morningstar Meatballs with whole grain pasta and sauce.
    (My version of "steak and potatoes") Meatless burger patty with A-1, side of tater tots and a vegetable.
    Meatless nachos. (make it however you like your nachos - tomatoes, lettuce, beans, etc. Just leave out the meat!)
    Meatless fajitas. (lots of bell peppers and refried beans and cheese)
    Meatless pizzas. (mozzarella cheese, fresh basil and slices of tomato).

The possibilities are endless. Just think of your favorite foods (which the above are some of mine) and just tweak it to go meat free. I gave up meat a little over a month ago. At first, it is a bit of a challenge, especially since I travel all day long, but you can pick up the hang of it real quick. Just a little planning goes a long way.
  • Angelbinick21
    Angelbinick21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I just made this salad and it was great!

1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 red bell pepper
    1 can corn
    1 can black beans, drained
    1 cup salsa
    juice of one lemon
    1 avocado sliced on top

This will give you two large servings, and it is very filling.
  • brits111383
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, too. I'm definitely too carb-y and trying to eat more protein to keep me full, keep off weight and help with muscle-building. I have a protein powder tub sitting at my desk to help -- I'm going to start adding that to oatmeal, soup, etc (in moderation so things don't taste too funky).