Got the metabolic testing results. EVERYTHING is different.

Options
So I finally coughed up some money and got some metabolic testing done. After months of busting my *kitten* and no results I needed answers! My RMR is a little above 1600. So just laying in bed all day I'd burn 1600.

The trainer/dietician said that on rest days I should eat 1700, moderate days when I teach once for example do 1900 and big days like Thursday when I teach 3 times do 2200 but not more. Also I need to fit in some lower intensity workouts because with my other test it showed when I was in my two lower zones I burned 77% fat. The higher zones that I'm normally in teaching spin I'm burning mostly carbs. Hence no fat loss even with 1000 calorie a day burns.

What is REALLY different is I don't do net. So If my 1600 is my RMR and I burn 1000 calories teaching two classes one day, the MOST I'm to eat is 2200 which would have me net 1200. 400 calories UNDER my base. This goes against most of what I've been told here at MFP. I'll try it though for a few weeks, add some low intensity stuff...add even MORE protein....and see where I land.

Replies

• _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    So, what did the metabolic testing consist of? What did you do? .... and if you don't mind me askin...what was the cost?... what kind of Dr did you see?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    So excited for you to have gotten all of this information!! I hope you start seeing results soon!
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Also I need to fit in some lower intensity workouts because with my other test it showed when I was in my two lower zones I burned 77% fat. The higher zones that I'm normally in teaching spin I'm burning mostly carbs. Hence no fat loss even with 1000 calorie a day burns.

This is a common misunderstanding; in fact, I was prompted to write a blog post about just this issue.

You may be interested in it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DL121004/view/heart-rate-monitors-zone-training-and-fat-burn-216961
    What is REALLY different is I don't do net. So If my 1600 is my RMR and I burn 1000 calories teaching two classes one day, the MOST I'm to eat is 2200 which would have me net 1200. 400 calories UNDER my base.

Could you rephrase that? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Hubby has been trying to talk me into getting tested, he says I'm working way to hard not to see much in the way of results. My story is very similar to yours, I teach an ab class & spin class Monday (lift in between), spin again on Friday and have another heavy cardio day with running & bootcamp on Thursday, plus at least another two lift days. How do you go about getting tested and is it expensive?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When you use this method, start to track your body fat. I still think you will lose more muscle than fat. Also, is the trainer a certified nutritionist or dietician?
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    So, what did the metabolic testing consist of? What did you do? .... and if you don't mind me askin...what was the cost?... what kind of Dr did you see?

This. I'm interested to know what exactly the testing consists of and those details, if you would not mind sharing.
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yep, also curious what is involved with the RMR testing.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    What calories were you on before the testing?
  • spareparts79
    spareparts79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump, curious what this test consists of and cost.
  • manasunshine
    Options
    bump.
    intrested in knowing more about the RMR testing
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info but I'm doing great on MFP......guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Best of luck to you. Hope that you see some progress.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    It must feel great to have some answers! I've seen you post a few times, and your frustration is understandable.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I just did testing today too. It was spendy-$180. It was done by a certified exercise physiologist--not sure what that is, through my HMO. Showed that I'm fit and fat. My VO2 was in the "superior" category for my age, but my body fat % was 38%, which was not even on the chart :(. My BMR was 1379. She set up some training targets for training in various HR zones. She also gave a suggested weight range to shoot for, that surprised me a bit. It was 130-152 (I'm 5'2"). I had been shooting for 135, and thought that was on the high end of where I should be. I entered the VO2 into my HRM, and it now has my calorie burn higher, so that was good to see---I think.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am also curious about the details!
  • woodstockmom
    woodstockmom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    When you use this method, start to track your body fat. I still think you will lose more muscle than fat. Also, is the trainer a certified nutritionist or dietician?
    I do not understand why you're implying that the OP will lose muscle if she doesn't eat "all of her calories".

My understanding, and with some help from thinking through how the body works, is that muscle mass is lost through atrophy. It's only in the late stages of "starvation mode" (the real one) that the body has digested all of the adipose fat that, at that point it, will consume muscle mass. This occurs at the very end stage of starvation and is, unless the human starts to eat, followed by death.

A couple of points:

It makes no sense for the body to consume muscle when there's adipose fat (males have about 5% essential fat, women 10 to 12%). The body stores fat for the express reason of creating a reserve. Why would the body not consume the adipose fat (something that goes on all the time) in favor of consuming muscle?

It's very hard to measure muscle mass. Yes, there are consumer-level instruments that measure body fat, lean body mass, etc. but lean body mass is not the same as muscle mass. My little Omron body fat meter measures body fat so I can back into a lean body mass number but I cant get to a muscle mass reading.

Have you worked with instrumentation and a subject audience where you have tracked that data? If so, could you share those results with us?

If not, it would be great if someone could post medically-based links on the correlation between weight loss, loss of loss of lean body mass and loss of muscle mass.
  • abigailhutch
    Options
    Bump....I too would like to know more about this testing!
  • sleepy184
    sleepy184 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I too would love to know whats invovled. It sounds just what I need.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    bump