Sugar

Options
I am sure this question has been asked several times before but I am too lazy to go looking for it.

I have a question regarding sugar. I try to stay away from sugary things like cookies, ice cream and such but I still find myself going over my sugar allotment. (If you look at my food diary please understand that last week we were out of town visiting family so it was bad when it came to eating).

Most of my sugars are from milk, fruit and things of that nature.

Is going over my sugars bad regardles of what kind of sugar it is or do you kind of get a bit of a pass when it comes to milk, yogurt, fruit? Does the body process it differently or is sugar just sugar regardless?

Replies

• loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've heard that MFP is low for sugar, and of course doesn't differentiate between natural sugars and added sugars. I don't bother tho track sugars. If I eat one piece of fruit then I'm over for the day. IMO keep your added sugars limited and don't worry about natural ones.
  • ringclown
    ringclown Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    http://www.freeworkoutsguide.com/support-files/leanbodykickstart_women.pdf

T,

Go to this and turn to page 17 - 20. He offers this for free. It is the best example and information I ever read. In fact it was this information that led me to buy his program.
  • Krister0506
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing....I have not even had 600 calories today and I am over my sugar. I am thinking maybe I should remove it from my profile. I think I will get stressed if I keep seeing I am going over.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Many people have said, "Calories in vs. calories out - as long as you have a deficit.". I agree with this to a degree. I've never bothered monitored my sugar intake until recently, and I'm always over. Today I removed the sugar column!

What is important to know is that sugar CAN be turned to fat easier. Will it? I can't give a definitive answer to that. I know our body processes sugar and sends it where it's needed. What isn't used gets turned to fat. If you are always at a deficit, does that mean not sugar to fat? I have no idea. But I'm pretty sure the fat will get burned off again since you are running at a deficit.

See how confused I am on the subject? :tongue:

Bottom line: I don't pay close attention to sugar, and I'm losing weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am sure this question has been asked several times before but I am too lazy to go looking for it.

I have a question regarding sugar. I try to stay away from sugary things like cookies, ice cream and such but I still find myself going over my sugar allotment. (If you look at my food diary please understand that last week we were out of town visiting family so it was bad when it came to eating).

Most of my sugars are from milk, fruit and things of that nature.

Is going over my sugars bad regardles of what kind of sugar it is or do you kind of get a bit of a pass when it comes to milk, yogurt, fruit? Does the body process it differently or is sugar just sugar regardless?

"Bad" in what regards?
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As soon as I eat dinner tonight I'm going to be over my sugars for the day. Which sucks because I haven't had anything with added sugars in it today! I can't believe that fruit, veggies and milk are inhibiting weight loss. I might get rid of my sugar column too.
  • monharri
    Options

T,

Go to this and turn to page 17 - 20. He offers this for free. It is the best example and information I ever read. In fact it was this information that led me to buy his program.

helpful pdf. thanks for posting it.
  • Krister0506
    Options
    I deleted the column...thanks for the help and posting this! I guess if the weight loss stops, then I may need to think about watching my sugar, so far not having that issue.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar at all. Sugar = Carbs...I already track those, no need to track them twice. Diabetics don't even monitor sugar grams, they are told to monitor carbs. :smile:
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options

T,

Thanks Nathan!! I read pages 17-20. Makes total sense to me and that was what I was thinking/hoping for.

And also by "bad" I meant for my goal of losing fat and gaining muscle.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

T,

I just now decided to read this. The moment I saw "Max Workouts" on the top I got excited, I'm in the middle of his 90 Max Workouts program, and it's been amazing! Shin sends a lot of emails with tips and tricks when you purchase his workout, and he has some really good advice. Having read many of his books, and doing his workout, I would personally respect what he has to say.
  • elfinsnow
    elfinsnow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just monitor carbs.. not sugar specifically. :)
  • katrodelle
    katrodelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    People with insulin resistance (such as in PCOS) need to watch their sugar intake (and carbs), even natural sugars because it is not processed properly and turned straight into fat :( but not sure about normal people!