Does anyone know a good GI diet app (that works for the UK)?

Options
I love MFP but I am trying to reduce my carbs and sugars. I am looking at trying to follow a low GI diet going forwards, unfortunately you can't do that here. I have tried to search for iphone apps for this but most do not appear to work well for UK foods - does anyone know a good app (preferably one that has a food scanner in the same way MFP does), or even website, that I can use?

Thank you

Replies

• NicolaNash
    Options
    bump
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    Bump
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You might check Self nutrition data they have app and do have info on GI. :) I've been looking on there trying to figure it out because I too am trying to stave off diabetes. I'm starting to get pre-diabetes and was pretty much told today I am pre-diabetic and its not looking good.
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    Thank you. I will have a look. Any others?
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    Unfortunately I can only find websites or apps that are American - any help for an iphone app for the UK would be gratefully appreciated, I have been searching for ages unsuccesfully and its driving me mad! Thanks
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    bump
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    bump - I'm getting desperate I know!
  • missbazzie
    missbazzie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for the same thing. I love MFP but I'm looking at the glycemic diet plans also. If there isn't a comparable app, how about some advise on incorporating a GI plan into MFP? Could it be as simple as keeping a GI chart of foods and use MFP for logging puroses only?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for, something that totals the GL for the meal and day, etc? That would be interesting, like I do with carbs. I do hate that carbs are considered all the same in that total, because I like eating low GI ones and try to avoid high GI ones, so I'd like to know how I'm doing there.

Is there any way to add a custom value to our entries in MFP? If so, then consulting a chart and manually entering it here would work, I think.
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've got some pdf documents that I was given by the diabetic dietician when I had gestational diabetes. They're Australian, and very general - lists of low, medium and high GI foods and free fruits and veges that don't impact blood sugar at all. I found it easy to switch to low GI where appropriate. I was testing my blood sugar level after every meal and I also found that there were certain foods that sent my levels higher than normal. If you message me your email address, I can email the documents to you.