Feel thinner but not losing weight

Options
So I have been plateauing a bit. I've been stuck at the same weight for a week, but I feel thinner. Has anyone else had this experience?

Replies

• mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing up your workouts or what you are eating?

Also, take measurements. The scale may not be moving but, you could be burning fat & building muscle.

Don't give up :smile:
  • mlrod1914
    Options
    No I haven't taken measurements. But maybe I will start. I started playing hockey 3 days a week. So maybe I am building muscle. Also I am using a digital scale. Sometimes I wonder if the scale is super accurate. Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've stalled for a week here and there. But you're doing it right, man. Just keep plugging.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Agree with Silvia on taking measurements, especially on waist at the naval. You may have also reached the point where, if you're doing a lot of strength training as well, you might be gaining a lot of muscle and not seeing too much drop on the scale for fat loss. The ratio between the two leads to a fickle reading on the scale at that point.
  • mlrod1914
    Options
    Great input. Thanks!
  • 189andFalling
    189andFalling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Get some scales that measure bodyfat - for example I've stayed the same 'weight' for the past 7 days but on my deficit and exercise programme I must have lost weight. My scale confirms 2 lbs of fat lost while slightly increasing lean body mass (mainly through running up very steep hills!). The fit of my clothes confirms the same!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you feel thinner you must be doing something right. Keep it up.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes had the same thing happen. my clothes were a lot looser but the scale showed nothing. This went on for quite some time and I am finally seeing weight loss on the scale! My personal guess...you are gaining muscle. Hang in there. You will see results soon.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i stall for a week or two, and then i randomly drop 3-4 pounds seemingly over night... who knows
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Go try on a pair of jeans you could not wear before and see how they fit now. You might be surprised at yourself!
  • the2aces
    the2aces Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Something to keep in mind is if you're in it for the long haul (and not just looking for a quick, small weight loss), you will definitely have plateaus - try not to let them worry you too much. A week is definitely not a big deal. Could be water weight, could be fat shifting to muscle - could be many things! If you're counting calories and exercising and you plateau for 3 or more weeks, then I would start to worry.

And definitely, the first thing to do when you plateau after a couple weeks is cut some calories and mix up your workouts! Sadly when we lose weight/get fitter we also burn fewer calories in the same activities, and our bodies also get used to the same activity if we keep repeating it and our bodies don't need to work as hard to do them.

Sigh :)
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about, I thought I was never going to get past 170, still haven't by the way but my jeans are not as tight and I dropped a size already so maybe by my next weigh in, next Friday I will be 169. That would make me so happy. If your working out and staying within you daily calorie allowance you will drop weight! I was 186 in December :) Just joined this community though and I'm excited to not feel so alone in my weightloss!!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    So I have been plateauing a bit. I've been stuck at the same weight for a week, but I feel thinner. Has anyone else had this experience?
    Me!

Sometimes it's a matter of bloating making you feel fat and so when your body settles a bit, even though you're not retaining water, you feel a bit slimmer. I love this... I can go from feeling really fat and bloated to feeling skinnier and looking skinner in a week, also, inch loss may mean that you are shrinking by losing fat /gaining muscle so weight may not budge much, but your body composition is changing.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yes, My clothes are fitting better and I feel great...no more weight lose...actually, I have gained two pounds:huh: I have started more vigourous workouts.