I thought running helps you LOSE weight! :(

Options
i thought running helps you slim down.. along with a balanced "diet" or well eating healthy.. after 3 weeks of running, no incline.. my legs are getting bulkier ... has running helped any of you trim down those thighs?? i need help

Replies

• jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    How many longtime runners do you know with huge legs?

Give it time, trust the process. Three weeks is barely enough to get things started.

Oh, and congratulations. Starting out at running is really hard compared to lots of other workouts. Totally worth it, though.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any scale weight but have definitely noticed a slim down in my hips and upper thighs but I have 30 lbs to lose and you look pretty fit already! I think you will notice if your thighs are relatively slim, that they will bulk up a bit more with muscle.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Running won't help you lose fat by itself, but it will help you develop your leg muscles and make them more defined. You need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose fat.

Last year I lost 15 pounds by running and eating at a calorie deficit. I dropped about two inches from my thighs and they definitely look much nicer now. But my thighs will never be small, thanks to my genetics, and I'm okay with that.
  • QueenKatherineElizabeth
    Options
    Your probably just gaining muscle.
    when i was 15 I counted my calories and ran on a tredmill everyday for like 30min to an hour. I went from a size 10 to a size 5 in juniors! Running does help you lose weight and stay in shape! :) Just give it time. Like I said you are probably just gaining some leg muscles
  • bbkohn
    bbkohn Posts: 29
    Options
    Your legs will get bulkier, that's just your new muscles forming. I run track and I have nice, toned, lean, and muscley legs and I love them (they look great in heels). Typically sprinters have more bulk and distance/endurance runners are more lean due to the different muscles that are used in training. Your legs will tone up (dont worry you wont have the legs of a male body bulider) and running is such AMAZING cardio and it really is what allowed me to drop the pounds fast. stick with it, trust me it's worth it
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    How many longtime runners do you know with huge legs?

Give it time, trust the process. Three weeks is barely enough to get things started.

Oh, and congratulations. Starting out at running is really hard compared to lots of other workouts. Totally worth it, though.

Yes, all true. Running is definitely a lot harder than many workouts, but so very rewarding! Stick with it, you'll notice a very nice change in your legs after a while!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    never mind, I just looked at your profile. . .

• tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I thought that running or any cardio would not build muscle and that you needed to lift weights to increase muscle. At least that's what I've learned here in the last 9 months.
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think it takes longer to see a change in the thighs than on other parts of your body. I have that problem at least. I've been running for nearly 7 weeks and I don't think my thighs have changed at all (on the outside anyway). And it's only in the last week that I have noticed myself toning up...so 6 weeks of no rewards...but now finally a glimmer of hope.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I thought that running or any cardio would not build muscle and that you needed to lift weights to increase muscle. At least that's what I've learned here in the last 9 months.

I've heard some folks here say that, that when you think you've built muscle, it's actually because the fat covering the muscle is going away. I disagree based just on what changes I have seen in my body with the type of cardio I do (arc trainer and running on the treadmill). On top of that, when I started running, I had sore muscles, which meant I was doing some tearing down for building up. You have your purist in every realm and the ones here who say you can't build muscle doing cardio and only by lifting weights are the purist here.
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have also just started running,, i'm on week 5 of the C25K, and i'm now seeing a bit difference in my thighs,, so is everyone else begining to notice!! Give it time,, it's still early day for you,,, you will probably start noticing a difference in the next few weeks,, keep at it and be patient!!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Lifting is generally to increase upper body strength and add power but any type of exercise increase muscle, even walking.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    try not to get frustrated. I worked out for a month on the treadmill along with more protein and fewer needless carbs and the scale didn't budge. I could tell a difference with my clothes and by pinching my belly fat but the scale didn't show anything. I was gaining muscle and losing fat. Now I'm finally losing on the scale! I'm so happy. I stopped looking at the scale for 3 weeks and then when I signed up for MFP I had to weight myself and I had lost 7 pounds! It will happen if you stick to the plan. I also began doing interval training on the treadmill. I am doing 2 minutes walking moderately fast and one minute sprint or fast run. I do that for 30 minutes with a warm up and warm down. This gets my heart rate up and that is what they say helps with weight loss. My legs are slimming nicely too! Hang in there!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Running helped me lose weight. But only up to a certain point. I got to that typical "last ten pounds" part, and I was entirely stuck. I spent 2011 running a 15K, half marathon and full marathon. It was August and I had been running 50 miles a week for seven months.

I looked like the photo on the left when I started the training in February 2011, and still looked like the photo on the left in August. I was incredibly frustrated.

(Photos from August, September, November, December 2011)
    Screenshot2011-12-13at21427PM-1.png

Then in August I started to add serious weight training to my routine. I made zero changes to my diet through the November/third photo. And actually, starting in September I stopped running all together. My workouts were only an hour long including warm up. The first half was strength/skill and the second half was a met con.

In November I cleaned up my diet (paleo was my choice, but that isn't the point). I never counted calories, but just focused on filling up on meats and veggies first and then filling in the gaps with some fruit and nuts.

Anyhow, this is only my story but it worked for me. If you're curious, this is the article that made me want to strength train:
    http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

(PS. Running season is back in and I'm signed up for an 8K, half and a full marathon this year because I truly love it. But I'm reworking my training to focus on my strength and metcon workouts. I'd like to clarify I'm not a running-basher!)

Best :)

PS/EDIT - I realize you were asking about thighs. I naturally have slim thighs and my weight carrying culprit is the belly (thus the focus of the photos). But really, getting 'toned' just comes down to lowering body fat all over... and it sounds like for you, your thighs may be the last place it goes. (See the link I posted for further info on this.) But my thighs are even TIGHTER now than they were before when I was just running. So consider adding some strength training; free weights, compound lifts, in addition to some metabolic conditioning - keep it INTENSE! If you love running, don't give it up - but from what it seems like you're describing for the results you want, I'd say strength train! (And seriously - read the link!)

I'm 5' 5" 145lbs, size 4 for reference