Cutting Out the Beer?

Options
I like beer, and I have it every so often. I'd say maybe about 4-5 times a month and a good 4-5 beers each time.
Will completely eliminating beer help my weight loss?
Also, I loooove some vodka. How does watermelon vodka and cranberry-apple juice (my FAV drink) settle with dieting/weightloss?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Alcohol does make you retain water, but you won't truly gain wait from excessive alcohol if you account for the calories and remain at a deficit.
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am not strong enough to give up the beer....I love the taste of it (microbrews) which can be as high as 200 calories for each one! Ughhhhh.

I have been trying to lose weight for a few months now & haven't given up the beer. I also haven't lost any weight, so I fear that I may have to give it up :(
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Alcohol slows your metabolism. Eliminating it will help you lose. But, if you want to drink then by all means do. It's fun so why not. However, if you want to lose eliminating alcohol is definitely effective.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I know from experience that it will help! I too love (loved) beer. It turns to sugar or something like that in your body and makes you crave food or at least it did me. I decided to cut it out and it was weird at first because I was used to having a beer with my dinner. Now I just carry around a water bottle and I don't even think about drinking a beer. I don't however deprive myself. I have a few beers maybe twice a month and enjoy every minute of it. You never know till you try! You can do it!
  • chantel14
    Options
    I wasn't able to give up the beer but it does help if you cut back.... 4-5 times a month isn't that bad. I just logged it and drank more on a cheat day :)- and still managed to keep losing. Light beer is a lot better but a little depressing to drink... haha
  • calgarychick2012
    calgarychick2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    well i just decided to drink fridays only so i usually end up going over the next day i drink tons of water.Fridays are my cheat day, spike day so i can live with it. I am religious with sunday to monday workouts eating healthy and staying within calorie range. I have heard vodka and soda with lemon or lime or vodka water. still 97 calories the juice and vodka is more then regular beer. so up to you.
  • Realtygal
    Realtygal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of diet you are on. A low-carb diet permits low-carb beer such as Michelob Ultra Light (2.5 grams of carbs/bottle) and, BTW, distilled alcohol such as vodka. If you're watching calories, maybe not. Keep in mind that alcohol of all types inhibits self-control which could result in falling off the diet-wagon!
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Pretty sure beer is my dieting downfall.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    nope, not cutting it out. i go for the real, great tasting beer and have one or two or have a nice glass of wine. quality of life is important to me
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I still drink beer :x I just make sure I have the calories for it and drink a crap ton of water the next day..and I mean a CRAP ton of water.
  • Johnny760
    Options
    I don't think the beer is so much the problem. I think it's the food, that is normally associated with the social situation. Normally, when go out for drinks there is food involved. If you notice most bar food is fried. I think as long as you don't eat the bar food, a few beers won't hurt you.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Almost every time I go over my calories it is because of drinking. I dont want to cut it out completely, but I know it is my main problem.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge craft beer lover and won't cut them out.....Just be smart about it. My wife and I normally will only drink on the weekends now
  • jryan12341
    jryan12341 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    FYI- beer is also known to cause pregnancy, uncontrolled urges, impulse actions and an occasional walk of shame.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    nope, not cutting it out. i go for the real, great tasting beer and have one or two or have a nice glass of wine. quality of life is important to me
    totally agree. When I have a drink, I go for the good stuff.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think cutting it out completely would help. I decided to not drink because I just don't want to drink my calories. When I'm counting calories I just can't stand wasting them on a beverage. But that's your call. There are things that I love and wont give up.. like cookies lol...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    As long as you have calories for it - enjoy your beer! I lost 20 pounds in about seven months last year, and I had beer at least three times a week. I did have a couple of months where I only drank on the weekends, but that had a lot to do with how late I was working out, how early I had to get up, and how much more fun it was to anticipate the weekend beers in my future. Lately though, I just make sure I work out and earn the calories to enjoy my beverages when I get home.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    FYI- beer is also known to cause pregnancy, uncontrolled urges, impulse actions and an occasional walk of shame.

False. Poor judgement and lack of self control causes these things.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    IMHO. All things in moderation. I for one got where I am at by doing things in EXCESS... I now have to undo it by operating at a deficit. It is not so much what you do, but HOW much of it that you do. I do not personally think that 4-5 per month should be a major ;problem; OTOH, 4-5 per DAY would clearly be. I personally don't drink (not my vice... I have others such as diet soda)... but one per week or so should be ok. Let it be your little treat for the week....
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    A life without beer would make me a truly sad and crabby person. I drink beer like some people like wine. I stock my beer cabinet according to type/season (IPAs are mostly in the back right now, waiting for summer to call, whereas the barley wines, Trappist ales, and stouts/porters are up at the front and ready to be enjoyed). Giving up beer, for me, was never even on the table. I did cut back, but didn't eliminate, because I was aiming to modify my eating habits in a sustainable way. It didn't negatively affect my weight loss that I can tell, anyways! Would I have lost faster if I'd given it up? Maybe. But for me, it wouldn't have been worth it.