Calories burned on Elliptical?

Options
I do the elliptical at the gym for 30 minutes at a high intensity, I get different calorie counts from different machines, usually between 270 and 300. When I plug it into MFP if comes up at 370 calories burned. So I have been logging 300 to meet it in the middle. Im wondering if this is something I shouldn't stress over as long as I am losing weight.

Replies

• Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    dont stress. MFP always has really high numbers.
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't stress as long as you are loosing but if you stop a heart rate monitor would give you a more accurate reading!!
  • kritik
    kritik Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would go with what the machine says, or get yourself a heart rate monitor.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Use a HRM if you're wanting a more personalised (although still never perfectly accurate) calorie reading. The reason for variation on machines is because you never work exactly at the same intensity as each session and machines resistance changes a small bit with use. Plus other factors such as if you're ill and have a slightly elevated HR and the machine is using HR as a result.

All calorie counting is still an estimate anyway. The food you eat can be about 20% out on nutrition labels. Keep an additional bit of deficit at the end of the day and you should be OK, but if you're losing weight, I wouldn;t worry. Don't stress too much over plateaus too.

Keep smashing it up!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Spend the money on an HRM. Machines do not incorporate your height. MFP is always high.
  • Blueyz82
    Blueyz82 Posts: 151
    Options
    Yes, I found the same thing. I just use the calories burned off the machine, because that is probably way more accurate. I wish it was what MFP says it is!!! It varies so much depending on what intesity levels you workout at...and MFP prob just does an average of what it SHOULD be in their research.
  • Therdigh
    Therdigh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think I will invest in a HRM if I start to plateau:happy: , thnx!:happy:
  • Trophyyf
    Trophyyf Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I always log my exercise on the elliptical and I always get the question Did you really burn that on the elliptical? I can do about 30 minutes and burn 500-600 calories if I want. I always put it on a incline and the highest resistance. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but that is why I love it so much. Plus I always do a running pace.
  • clintbritt3
    Options
    I finally invested in a HRM and I'm in love with it, I burn almost triple the amount of calories I thought I was burning.... because I keep wearing it long after my workout, it shows how much I keep burning (because I think we all forget that we burn calories all throughout the day) I love mine, go get yourself one :)
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I usually put what the machine says, which is always lower than MFP number. Which is fine by me, rather using the lower number.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it....I log the machines cals from the gym...when I am doing strength and at home work...I go by the HRM..has never had a problem....The key is the Eating....the highest % of it all...
  • mchristians
    Options
    i do the same thing, i just average what my elliptical says to what FP says. As long as you are losing, keep doing what you have been and don't stress about it. Keep up the good work.
  • Don't stress I just use MFP numbers because they say less when I run on the treadmill so it equals itself out. Just continue to monitor your eating, we are all with you.
  • Belenwright23
    Options
    Use this calculator :)

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

towards Bottom of the page
  • ast219
    ast219 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to research HRMs. The chest strap ones seem so cumbersome, but I've heard the ones that are in a watch aren't very reliable. What kind do you have??
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    The bulk of my workout is circuit training, so a HRM was the only way to get some level of accuracy on the number of calories I'm burning. I've noticed a lot of people have the Polar FT7 and FT4. Don't know the difference between the 2. I have the FT7 and love it. I also purchased the uplink attachment so I can retain all my workout on the Polar website.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I have a pilar ft60 and i burn about 310 cals for 28 min intense