weights and cardio= no weight loss???

Options
Ok, I'm getting really confused. I began steadily working out a few weeks before Christmas. I started out doing 30 minutes of eliptical and then weights (full body). Now, I did have a 2 week slack time in January, but have been back at the gym usually 3-5 times a week. Now, I have been doing 30 minutes on the treadmill at an incline at approximately 4 mph and then continue onto weights. I spend about 1 1/2 hours at the gym for work outs. I have noticed that even when I follow my caloric intake and enter all of my food, I am not losing any weight. However, with that said, I am not gaining any weight. I notice that I am toning and building, so does this mean that eventually the muscles being built will burn more calories/weight?

Any suggestions????

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    can you make your food diary public so we can get a better look at what's going in?
  • diana6628
    diana6628 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hope so. Because I am almost exactly in the same boat and losing very little weight. I lost 30 pounds when I started a year ago but have lost little since november :(
  • kealambert
    Options
    at first blush, my reaction is to switch the order of your workouts: cardio FOLLOWING weights.
  • kealambert
    Options
    Have you considered upping your caloric intake?
  • klewis89
    Options
    Here is one of my entries from last week. I usually do not enter my water intake but usually meet the minimum intake.

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    Kroger - 100% Whole Grain Oats Oatmeal, 3/8 cup 113 20 2 5
    Add Food Quick Tools 113 20 2 5
    Lunch
    Nature's Own - Double Fiber Wheat Bread, 2 slice (28g) 100 26 1 6
    Ruffles - Light Original Potato Chips Fat Free, 1 oz. (28g/About 15 chips) 80 17 0 2
    Kraft - American Cheese Fat Free Singles, 1 slice 25 2 0 4
    Add Food Quick Tools 205 45 1 12
    Dinner
    Spark Mexican chicken and rice casserole - Mexican chicken and rice casserole, 1 serving 241 19 3 33
    Add Food Quick Tools 241 19 3 33
    Snacks
    Spark breakfast Cheerios bar - Cheerios bar, 0.5 bar 49 7 2 1
    Cooking Light - Blueberry Power Muffins With Almond Streusel, 4 muffins 488 0 12 12
    Add Food Quick Tools 537 7 14 13

Totals 1,096 91 20 63
    Your Daily Goal 1,462 201 48 54
    Remaining 366 110 28 -9
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein
  • Annmariek
    Annmariek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try doing weights first to deplete your glycogen levels & then follow on with cardio
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    switch it up -- you should always do strength & then cardio.

OH and EAT MORE! You ate just over 1000 calories that day - NOT ENOUGH!

You need to eat at least 1200 calories Minimum, every day!

sw: 303.4 on 1/1/11
    cw 198.4
    LOST 105lbs so far
    5'6'' 29y/o
  • klewis89
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will hit the gym tomorrow and start out with weights and finish with cardio. Hope this helps me out!!!
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If that 1k totals at the bottom is what you normally eat in a day then you're not eating enough.

You need to bump up your food intake if you're going to work out consistently.
  • Annmariek
    Annmariek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also, when it comes to cardio, try to do interval training instead of going at the same pace. You could also have a treat meal one day a week as over time your body gets used to you calorie intake & exercise regime, so a treat meal would giveit a kick up the bum.
  • theonenonlykris
    Options
    I would say to eat atleast your 1200 calories and then some of your exercise calories. I have been working out 5-6 days a week plus 3 miles. I stopped losing weight (hard to believe when you are 280 lbs). Once I started eating 1500 instead of 1200, the scale moved. Plus drink at least 10 glasses of water a day and watch sodium.
  • theonenonlykris
    Options
    And take your measurements and keep track of them.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Reading what you ate in the one day you listed, I would say you aren't getting enough NUTRITION or enough calories to fuel the fat burning process.
  • sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Where are your fruits, veggie and real protein?
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Up your calories, add more protein and complex carbs. Always track your food. Drink lots of water, especially while working out. Eat main, high pro meal after strength training.

For 4.5 months I worked out with a trainer and lost nada. Joined MFP and tracked calories, protein, carbs and sodium--lost lbs. Trainer doesn't want me to eat below 1500 calories. Seems to work for me.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will hit the gym tomorrow and start out with weights and finish with cardio. Hope this helps me out!!!

It will help slightly. 1st please make your diary viewable so we can see it in a normal view. While I appreciate your typing it out it not quite like seeing it in the web page. The other thing is you are not eating enough. It tickles me (not really) how people go thru the wizard to set up their goals which set you at a calorie deficit and then they continue to eat under that and wonder why they don't lose weight. You have to eat to lose weight people. I will be happy to help you out and get you at your proper calories. Add me as a friend and message me and let's get things going the right way.
    By all means starting tomorrow do your lifting 1st then cardio. You'll build more muscle (increase metabolism and burn fat) and you will also burn more fat.
  • lizzy_joyce
    Options
    Ditto on the measurements. I haven't lost any weight (been fluctuating between 5 lbs or so) but I'm noticing that I'm more tone in certain places. It's the little achievements that make up for the loss of big numbers on the scale.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor if you don't already have one. You may not be working quite as hard as you may think.

Also, I switched to calculating my own TDEE instead of using MFP to figure out how many calories I should be eating. I'm losing more at 1500 cals than I was at 1200 cals. I lost steadily for about 3 months but was at a plateau for about another 3 months before I upped my cals and have started losing again.
  • roddi7997
    roddi7997 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You need to increase how much you are eating...I would also stopped eating so much processed foods..switch out some of those snack items with fruits and vegetables. I would eat more high protein food like eggs, chicken, etc.
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Try doing a 5-10 mins warm up before starting the strength, then do strength and then cardio.. and also eat atleast 1200 (net) minimum or else your body will go to the starvation mode..