Protein Shakes that don't taste like utter c**p?

Options
124»

Replies

• Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    low cal, low sugar, good protein - EAS Lean 15. I get it at Target and I use the chocolate with 1 c. almond milk, 5 whole frozen strawberries, 1/2 banana whipped up with 4 or 5 ice cubes. it's like a chocolate shake.

i used to use a really pricey organic rice one from my health food store that was good too, but this is even better and about 75% less expensive!
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Gnc amp wheybolic. It's pricey but the cookies and cream is delicious and disappears in water or almond milk. No clumps or grit, hardly even thickens the liquid. If you get on sale, it's a good deal.
    +1 on the GNC AMP Wheybolic. I tried these for the first time a few weeks ago - I think they have small packets you can sample. I personally have never tried them in water, but they get super-thick in milk. Have tried the chocolate and the strawberry. For the strawberry I do 2 scoops powder (3 scoops = 1 serving), 1 cup thawed strawberries, 1/2 cup Fage 0% and ice - it is almost too thick to drink and feels like cheating. seriously. and I'm full for hours.

Unjury Chocolate is another brand that tastes so good it's like cheating, but if you are anti-aspartame you may want to avoid it.

A blender/immersion blender/magic bullet-type thing is a must, tho - I've tried stirrers and shakers and things just taste chalky to me unless I can blend it really well.
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have this stuff:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002J0RG2O/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

When I went in search of a protein powder I didn't want one that was dairy based. The Lifetime Life's Basics protein powder has a lot of good reviews on amazon. I decided to get the unsweetened vanilla powder because I was planning on mixing it was some sweetened almond milk and greek yogurt anyway and didn't want it to be too sweet.
    It's awesome!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb is good. I use that regularly, but prefer vanilla over the chocolate.

I just tried Shakeology - blew my Jay robb one out of the water. Considering buying some.
  • spencer72
    Options
    Put the following into a blender:
    Milk
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey powder
    Peanut butter
    frozen banana
    /end

That's all I need for tasty deliciousness... add some cocoa powder if you want it chocolatey without callories, and with a good antioxidant punch!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Lol. I think every brand has been named on this thread at least once. I guess everyone is different. I have some Body by Vi that I got when I joined a new gym. It is very very good kind of a cake batter taste. It doesn't have much protein. But had good fiber.

I lily Body Fortress strawberry mixed with any kind of fruit.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I havent tried the Shakeology so i cant speak as to the taste, but $120 for one month supply of protein powder is insane.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Premier Nutrition. By far the best I have ever tasted and I have tried many of them. I haven't tried the vanilla or strawberry only the chocolate. I have told most of my friends and now even the ones not watching what they eat are drinking them.

160 cals, 3 carbs and 30 grams protein. They are available in RTD at Sam's Club and Costco. Also in powder but I haven't tried that.

I also drink the EAS CarbAdvantage chocolate which is quite tasty as well.
  • mxmandani
    Options
    EAS always works for me
  • Clos1t
    Clos1t Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. Is one of the best ive ever tried, thats what I drink now.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love the Lifetime Fitness Peak Performance Chocolate Whey Powder shakes. Could drink several a day.
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love the chocolate flavour of Met-Rx Supreme Whey. You must use cold milk though, lukewarm (or just water) is not worth considering...
  • Nath07
    Nath07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Dymatize ISO-100 -Gourmet Berry....absolutely delicious and mixes easily with water.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I really like the Dymaize ISO 100 Hydrolized Whey. I've only had the Gormet Chocolate and Vanila but they taste really good and mx well. 106 calories and 24g of protein and 1 carb
  • tippietoes
    Options
    Aussie Bodies Lo Carb Chocolate is AWESOME. Coles & Woolies stock it here, it tastes great & I HATE the taste of most protein shakes (and I've tried a lot of them).

Yes! Aussie Bodies is the nicest shake I've tried but the bars are gross. The BodyScience Cookies & Cream bar is sooo good in comparison. Also at Woollies :)
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I havent tried the Shakeology so i cant speak as to the taste, but $120 for one month supply of protein powder is insane.

Find a rep.. They will sell you individual pkts... Unless you are living off them, they are a nice treat/change of pace.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

I was able to try 2 sample packets from a friend who is a rep and I pay close to that amount on the one I use now if I use it daily. It is expensive. I thought since I have a chaotic life right now it'd be good to add to my daily food intake on days when i'm really strapped to get a meal in.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I buy premier nutrition protein shakes at Costco and they are actually pretty good.

I don't like how unnaturally smooth the liquid is so if I am at home, I give it a quick whirl with the immersion blender to make it a bit frothier. I've thought about getting a blender bottle for when I want to have one out and about, but just haven't done it yet.

I use these too! They are the BEST tasting ones I have found that are premade. (I refuse to use the blender at work seeing as how NO ONE cleans it and there is mold growing in the pour spout)

I normally stick them in the freezer until they are kinda frozen so its icy. YUMMY!
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    muscle milk light <-- chocolate
    cup of ice
    cup of almond silk milk

sometimes banana

best thing ever :D