Calorie Counting Verdict...

Options
So I know I had posted about how I've been taking a break from calorie counting but come to find out although its a pain in the butt, it does give me the structure I need. I was at the gym today and although I was taking some time away from counting, I realized that I was still counting the calories I was burning in my head. Some professionals like Jillian Michaels stated in one of her books that calorie counting isn't a good idea however, that's how some people lose the weight. All the success stories on here had to do with MAP and counting calories.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• ti2v78
    ti2v78 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Whether it is counting calories or restricting to specific food types / portions ... It still amounts to the same thing i think. The tools our computers and smart phones now afford us make it easier than ever to be aware of what we eat, why not use them?
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Having a plan to follow adds structure whether it's calories, points, specific food plan, whatever. I used to think counting calories was a pain but with tools available and so easily accessible, it's no problem anymore. If it works, why question it or I'd it.
  • cindycoley19
    cindycoley19 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight for 16 years now, and I haven't been able to lose more than 5 lbs until I started counting calories. I wouldn't have it any other way. It works!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So I know I had posted about how I've been taking a break from calorie counting but come to find out although its a pain in the butt, it does give me the structure I need. I was at the gym today and although I was taking some time away from counting, I realized that I was still counting the calories I was burning in my head. Some professionals like Jillian Michaels stated in one of her books that calorie counting isn't a good idea however, that's how some people lose the weight. All the success stories on here had to do with MAP and counting calories.

What are your thoughts?

JIllian Michael does not advocate counting calories???? Then why the hell do they do so on The Biggest Loser where she is part of it all?

Talk about giving mixed messages!

Counting calories might be a pain in the butt for some people, but it is really only so for the first couple of weeks, after that, many of the foods, the calories have already been logged in as recent foods etc, resulting in just one or two foods, now and again that have to be found.

Carry on counting your calories OP, as you rightly stated, it does give a positive structure (plus it works a treat!) :D