Bro, you're gonna hurt your knees squatting that low!

Options

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I'm so deeply jealous that you got to say "*kitten* to the grass" out loud. I've been looking for opportunities. Hard.

Ditto!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I guess not everyone knows a lot of asian people (you forget when you live in so-cal) but we call this the asian squat. Because most east asian people at least are quite comfortable sitting around in a full squat like that baby. Its just a flexibility thing (unloaded I mean) -- if you keep doing it your whole life you can still do it. Its actually quite comfortable - I use it as a rest position when I'm doing something like Disneyland where I'm on my feet all day.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    You know what stops myths from living on? Educating people? You know what educates people? Giving them information on a proper squat form and giving good references to your information.

You know keeps them being spread around? Thinking you're absolutely clever and hilarious because you said "*kitten* to grass"
    You know what? I NEVER educate people in the gym. Noone wants to hear what I have to say, especialy some super buff lifter guy. Even if i'm right. So, I'd be just as happy with an opportunity to say *kitten* to grass.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    i tried *kitten* to the grass and my heels always come off the ground. Not sure if it is right????
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You know what stops myths from living on? Educating people? You know what educates people? Giving them information on a proper squat form and giving good references to your information.

You know keeps them being spread around? Thinking you're absolutely clever and hilarious because you said "*kitten* to grass"

I respectfully disagree. I could say that with a very lighthearted tone. I'd wink. Please, someone, give me a chance.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i tried *kitten* to the grass and my heels always come off the ground. Not sure if it is right????

no, its not. do the squat with less weight, and keep your heels on the ground. if necessary, point your toes up and make them touch the top of your sneakers to make sure the heel stays down. new sneakers, with less cushioning may be necessary for lifting.
  • cindycoley19
    cindycoley19 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    OMG, Love this post!!! Priceless!!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

That might be an acheles (sp?) tendon thing.
  • mattkellett
    Options
    your knee is safest when you are *kitten* is the grass, it is way more open to injury when you just do partial squats. Everyone has a different "squat position" the old "toes forward, shoulder width apart" is as old school as the "dont squat all the way down. People need to learn to stay quiet unless they REALLY know what they are talking about.

Good for you to get down low "*kitten* to the grass" great job.
  • mattkellett
    Options
    Deep squats are what my boot camp instructor yells about constantly (you don't know how many times I've heard him yell "NO REP!" at people during warm up squats). This is from his gym's blog. Seems to make sense of things.

perfect-squat.jpg

AWESOME< LOVE THIS , I was trying to think on how to describe a pwerfect squat and relate it to a baby posisiton, and then I found your reply! just awesome thanks for that.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, low-bar squats are okay for going only to parallel or just below.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'll have to see how far I can go when no one is around! Might look kinda funny in the living room with my jammies on! I always thought never go all the way down with a squat.Hmmm. I did look at those links, and def. have to try that Psoas Quad stretch! Thanks for the info!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Well poo! Doing my squats today I was going parallel and thought I was doing good! Thanks for educating me. Though I took a weight lifting class a long time ago, it looks like a lot has changed since then.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I know from my studies to instruct yoga that I am no longer able to squat like that kiddo with my *kitten* all the way down and not have my heels lift. Weighted or not. Even though I badly want to and have tried. A lot. I can get past parallel but not far. It makes me sad and makes me blame a lifetime of sitting in chairs which is not a natural position but kiddo's squat above is natural. But then I sound like a nut if I keep talking like that.

So my point is only have patience with yourself or others if them going as deep as possible isn't as deep as they'd like.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    *kitten* to grass Isnt new, watch pumping iron and see Arnold and Franco squatting heavy heavy weigh barefoot and *kitten* to grass. Yes they obviously knew what they were doing back in the day and it's still true today.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Uh oh. Looks like someone's precious feelings have been hurt!
  • SteveHunt113
    Options

Uh oh. Looks like someone's precious feelings have been hurt!
    I don't see "precious feeling" being hurt, I see constructive advice. How does saying "*kitten* to grass" educate someone better than saying, "If you use proper form, your safe. You might check out XYZ to get more information."
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Well poo! Doing my squats today I was going parallel and thought I was doing good! Thanks for educating me. Though I took a weight lifting class a long time ago, it looks like a lot has changed since then.

Yeah, I know they told me not to go that deep in either high school or college! I didn't make it up. Somebody LIED to me.
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    Yeah, I know they told me not to go that deep in either high school or college! I didn't make it up. Somebody LIED to me.
    The good news is that we've now been educated!
  • ShaunAndersonTX
    Options
    I have noticed a huge difference in switching to Vibram FiveFinger shoes. Its not barefoot, but it is the next best thing. If your heels are coming off of the ground you're too far over your knees. You need to sit back into the squat more which you will feel in your butt and hamstrings.