Anyone having trouble using all your calories for the day?

Options
Good morning! I have been going strong for about 6 weeks now and really pleased that I have managed to stick with it so long. Like many of you out there, I have tried every diet advertised and fallen off the wagon too many times to count.

However, I find now that I have broken some of my bad habits and gotten used to eating less, I have left over calories at the end of the day. Last night I had 246 calories at 8pm and wasn't hungry. I know it's important to use up all my calories for the day so I ate a large bowl of watermelon at 9pm.

Is this normal? Is anyone else eating later in the evening to use up calories? I want to make sure I'm not being counter productive.

Have a great day everyone! Thanks for reading my concerns this morning. :-)

Replies

• angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I often do not eat all my calories... mostly on days I work out. Try eating a large breakfast a medium lunch and a light dinner and two snacks... or space them out evenly. say... 400 cal breakfast... 2-100-150 calorie snacks... 400 cal. lunch.. and 300 cal dinner.... I hope this helps.. I am not sure how many calories you eat but change it to meet your needs. Best of luck
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat all of my calories, especially after a workout day. But I have found(from awesome advice on mfp!) that you can try taking in more calories from different drinks, such as : a glass of milk, or a fruit and yogurt smoothie! It might be easier for you to consume calories when you're not actually eating them, but drinking them! Hope this helps:tongue::tongue: :tongue:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    add foods like peanut butter, nuts, and cheese to your diet. they're higher in calories and nutritious. Pre-planning your meals the day before can also help prevent have a lot of calories later at night. Make sure you always at least hit the 1200 mark otherwise your body will go into starvation mode.
    :heart: aisha
  • Kendra7107
    Kendra7107 Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it! I'm only eating 1200 calories a day so I don't want to reduce the number at this stage as I still have a lot to lose. ( I haven't weighed in a couple of weeks)

I usually eat a small breakfast but I will switch things around and eat larger calorie amounts during my day. I also love the idea of drinking more calories, I will try to work in a large glass of milk every evening. Good idea!!

Thank you! :-)
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I *wish* I had this problem! :devil: I'm on just over 1300 a day and I struggle to stay within it, and I'm always still hungry, especially in the evening. Is your diary public? I'd love to see what you're eating to keep you so satisfied!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Be sure to eat your exercise cals, since you're only eating 1200 a day. You might be losing weight this way because you have a bit to lose (vs someone who's trying to lose 10-20 pounds) but it is counterproductive to not eat enough. It's great you're not hungry but that seems to go on a cycle too, you may be ravenously hungry in a month eating the exact same things, because your metabolism changed.
  • Kendra7107
    Options
    Hello! No my diary isn't public but I can add you as a friend if you like. You are welcome to review it.
    I really think it's the fresh fruits and veggies I'm eating on a day to day basis. I have done much better this time around at stopping each week for fresh produce.

I'm eating alot of watermelon, canteloupe, carrots, cucumbers, celery and fruit. I have been cutting everything up and dividing it into sandwich bags or small containers and writing or attaching the calorie content to the package. I can grab something whenever I feel hungry and don't have to count it out at that moment. I have been far more successful this time and I believe this is the reason. I can eat a lot of watermelon and get a FULL feeling for very little calories. I eat alot of grilled chicken and egg salad for lunch. Lots of protein in egges.

At the Farmer's Market, I have bought new potatos that I scrape and boil so they are delicious without all the toppings. I also bought squash and ears of corn.

I hope this helps you as it really has helped me!!
    Kendra
  • Kendra7107
    Options
    One more thing....disregard my diary for July 3, 4 and 5 as that was my time off due to the holiday events that were scheduled! I know if you see those entries they look very scary. :-) LOL The weeks leading up to those days were very sucessful.
    Kendra
  • Shel4556
    Shel4556 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with this as well at first. I stopped losing for awhile because my metabolism slowed. The drink ideas are great and remember it is very important to make sure you have snacks. They not only will help with cal but also metabolism.

Yogurt, cheese, nuts and even some diet bars. Make sure they are healthy but make sure to do it.

And I also agree...larger breakfest with protien. Will give you energy and boost that metab...you will surprised that you actually will get hungry before lunch and need a snack because you body worked on that healthy breakfest.

I sound like such a dork....but it has helped me and is difficult for me to stick too as well!
  • jagodragon
    jagodragon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with this as well at first. I stopped losing for awhile because my metabolism slowed. The drink ideas are great and remember it is very important to make sure you have snacks. They not only will help with cal but also metabolism.

Yogurt, cheese, nuts and even some diet bars. Make sure they are healthy but make sure to do it.

And I also agree...larger breakfest with protien. Will give you energy and boost that metab...you will surprised that you actually will get hungry before lunch and need a snack because you body worked on that healthy breakfest.

I sound like such a dork....but it has helped me and is difficult for me to stick too as well!

ok..i think i have had the same problem as you....can you tell me how long it took for your metabolism to kick back in and your energy level to get back to normal?
  • nightmistresskittie
    Options
    I find it a struggle to use all my calories. I am trying to overcome compulsive eating so I only eat when I am hungry. I normally have 200-600 left at the end of the day(non-exercise days) so I always scramble to get some more in late in the day :(