I need healthy soup ideas!

Options
Im in the mood, probably because of the cold day & rain, for a tasty but healthy soup. Anyone have recipes to share? Please dont tell me chicken veggie or chicken noodle...boring!

Replies

• magicalamanda
    magicalamanda Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEE soup! One of my favorites is Chicken stock, cabbage, turkey kielbasa, potatoes, garlic, salt, white beans (great northern), aaaaand I think that's it.

2 cans or one box or low fat chicken broth
    2 potatoes
    1/4 of a cabbage
    a package of turkey kielbasa
    3 garlic cloves
    1 cup chopped white onion
    1 can white beans

If you need the exact directions I can give then to you, but it's pretty easy.

You can find some recipes on Allrecipes.com too and it's free to join. Type in healthy soups.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love making soups! In fact there is a lentil vegan recipe on the docket from these forums that is up next week. :)

I like to rotate the following:

V8 Magic Soup
    In a crockpot add, 1 bottle of low sodium/high fiber V8 juice (48 ounces), then refill with water and add chicken base. Pour into crock pot. Then add any veggies you want (some of my favorites is a tex mex version with corn, black beans, carrots, peppers, celery, etc. and stir in cilantro after cooking). Cook on low until veggies are down to your liking, usually 4-8 hours.

Cheesy Veggie Soup
    Chop onion (or buy frozen chopped onion) and place in crockpot, add bag or two of frozen california mix. Cover with water, stir in some chicken base (veggie or beef would work, too) and stir. Cook on low until veggies are soft. Before serving, stir in 8 ounces of reduced fat velvetta. Makes it like a 'cream based' soup without the calories.

French Onion
    Carmelized sliced onions in a bit of butter and olive oil, then deglaze the pan with water, red wine and add beef stock/boullion/base, and add in carmelized onion. Bring to a boil and simmer until flavors meld and onions are soft and translucent. Top with homemade toasted croutons and a bit of cheese on top. To brighten up the flavor, stir in a few teaspoons of red wine vinegar at the end, before serving.

Italian Veggie Soup
    Chop onion, carrots and celery (or whatever you like). Saute in a tablespoon of olive oil in a dutch oven. Meanwhile, chop zuchinni and roma tomato and add to the pan. Cover with water, and add veggie, chicken or beef base and italian seasoning (oregano is great here). Bring to a boil and simmer until veggies are done to your right texture. Stir in chopped spinach and stir until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Great to serve with or without tortellini, for a more substantial meal. Last time I made this, a cup portion was only 56 calories.

There are a lot of good veggie based soups on the Veggie Venture blog (google it) and some great ones on SkinnyTaste.com, too.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Oops, wanted to add the one I made last week for Fat Tuesday...

Shrimp and Chicken Sausage Gumbo
    Chop onion, celery and green pepper and saute in olive oil. Cook until browned (like making a traditional roux in a New Orleans style). The darker the better for flavor, but don't burn it. Add cut up chicken and asiago sausage (I get them from Sams Club) and brown, also add fresh garlic. Then stir in one 28 ounce can on diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed black beans and a small can of diced tomatoes with green chilies. Then cover with water, add some chicken base and seasoning (Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, etc) and simmer. After about 30 minutes I add pre-cooked salad shrimp. Once shrimp is warm, it is ready to serve. I serve over a small portion of rice to make it a meal.
  • jfish428
    jfish428 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    mmmmm the shrimp and chicken sausage gumbo sounds great!! definitely trying that this week! thanks for sharing!
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    I LOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEE soup! One of my favorites is Chicken stock, cabbage, turkey kielbasa, potatoes, garlic, salt, white beans (great northern), aaaaand I think that's it.

2 cans or one box or low fat chicken broth
    2 potatoes
    1/4 of a cabbage
    a package of turkey kielbasa
    3 garlic cloves
    1 cup chopped white onion
    1 can white beans

If you need the exact directions I can give then to you, but it's pretty easy.

You can find some recipes on Allrecipes.com too and it's free to join. Type in healthy soups.

Add some caraway seeds and a bay leaf; a little tomato (1/2 a can of diced or a large handful of grape, cut in half); a couple of baby carrots cut in half; use only half the turkey kielbasa (or none if you have a vegetarian in the family); change the chicken stock to veggie stock (again, because of the veggie girl)....and you have my recipe for Czech cabbage soup! Even my teenagers LOVE this soup.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I personally love pumpkin/butternut squash soup! Really easy to make, healthy, low calorie and yummy. Just chop up a squash, 1 or two carrots, an onion and some garlic, chuck in a large pan and add vegetable stock (not sure about the amounts, but enough to cover the veggies). Cook until pumpkin is tender (probably around 15/20 minutes) and then blend it all together. You can blend it to be completely smooth, or leave some chunks - whatever you fancy. You might need to add some more liquid as the soup thickens a lot while blending! As for herbs and spices: I've used fresh coriander (add before blending) or you can make it a bit more spicy by adding cayenne powder, chilli, possibly some harissa paste and some eastern spices (you can just stir all of this in after blending). You could add some cream as well, but I've never found it necessary.
  • HOWDY11
    Options
    I made the best Corn Cheese chowder the other night. I found the recipe on the Pioneer womans website. I put it in and the calories were good and my family even liked it!!! Friend me if you like and check out the recipe on my recipes or check out the website!!! Good luck and stay warm!
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Check out the website skinnytaste.com. She has two soup recipes I really like - chicken pot pie, and baked potato - both awesome!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    This is a great soup recipe from Cooking Light - Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-thai-coconut-chicken-soup-50400000118583/

I add some ****akes to the regular mushrooms, and if I am short on time will just use some shredded rotisserie chicken. If I have raw chicken, I just cube it and let it cook in the soup instead of pre cooking and shredding it.

EDIT: (okay, seriously, i just saw that MFP censored my mushroom choice - that is so lame. I will try again to say that I add shi-take mushrooms - is that better for you MFP?)

I also wanted to add that Cooking Light had a great section of soups in the Jan/Feb 2012 issue - you can see them all here
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/january-february-2012-recipe-index-00412000073912/

(if that link does not work just find the recipe index for that issue in the magazine archive online)